You are GREAT!

In a few weeks, you'll find out where you're accepted, rejected or waitlisted. By now, I'm sure you're experiencing all sorts of highs and lows. This is a very stressful process. Sometimes, all you want is some news because you're starting to feel down about the process.

Big News? You're alive.

-There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived. 
-Having just a few coins makes you richer than most people on Earth.
-You are unique and nobody in the entire world is like you are
-The opportunity to attend school is something many people don’t have. (Which makes having a college degree even greater!)
-Most people lack a bed of their own to sleep in
-Many people on earth lack access to clean water.
-Cell phones make talking to loved ones easy.
-You have friends that will always have your back. (And if you don't, message me. Let's talk. And if you do, let's talk anyways)
-You can enjoy pizza. Or Ice Cream.
-There are people in your life who love you more than you could ever know
-The Internet, n'uff said?

But in all seriousness, try not to compare yourself to others. We have a tendency to look at how great the lives of other people are going without realizing the stresses they're hiding. No matter where you get in or don't get in, please be proud of yourselves. You've worked incredibly hard to get to where you are. An acceptance doesn't determine who you are and a rejection doesn't make you lesser than. It just means not this year. You might realize that your passions change over the course of a year. And you might discover those new interests are really interesting when you do reapply. You might discover some universities that previously rejected you might accept you the following year and viceversa.

Lastly, a word on rankings:
USNews rankings for English are determined by 14 percent of respondents who were department heads or director of graduate studies. As such, it's hard to take rankings those seriously when a lot of the rankings are based on "name brand". Most departments are only paying attention to a few select schools and placements may vary considerably across specific interests. Follow your heart when making a decision. Happiness is the number one thing that will make you succeed in a program and that happiness will translate to the quality of work you produce.

Good luck all. You're going to do great!

2 hours ago, Warelin said:

But in all seriousness, try not to compare yourself to others. We have a tendency to look at how great the lives of other people are going without realizing the stresses they're hiding. No matter where you get in or don't get in, please be proud of yourselves. You've worked incredibly hard to get to where you are. An acceptance doesn't determine who you are and a rejection doesn't make you lesser than. It just means not this year. 

this is the hardest lesson of them all, isn't it? this is a paragraph i'm sure i'll be repeating to myself every day for the next three months.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, mandelbulb said:

this is the hardest lesson of them all, isn't it? this is a paragraph i'm sure i'll be repeating to myself every day for the next three months.

I think we can all use some positivity from time to time.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:07 AM, savay said:

a thread of positivity!

jMbrYJ0n4arRRWWh2slt9F4EZ9ccEMMKYU6YrDte

Always could use more positive affirmation!

On 1/10/2019 at 2:05 PM, kendalldinniene said:

Thanks @Warelin.  I needed that.

This process can be incredibly stressful. I remember it well. I think it's important to post it now because otherwise it feels like a "consolation" prize. It isn't. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to emphasize here that everyone in this forum has been so sweet and kind!! Thank you to everyone who has helped ease other's anxieties, made calls to schools to help figure out the status of things, and for being so willing to answer questions. Also thank you to everyone who so sweetly congratulates others on their successes! You're all great. I know just reading the forums has helped me so much knowledge-wise but also anxiety-wise. :) 

I find myself returning to this post every once in a while to read old posts and see if anyone added anything to it. Here’s a part of a song I have been listening to a lot this past month! It’s from Jason Mraz’s “Have It All.”

May you have auspiciousness and causes of success
May you have the confidence to always do your best
May you take no effort in your being generous
Sharing what you can, nothing more nothing less
May you know the meaning of the word happiness
May you always lead from the beating in your chest
May you be treated like an esteemed guest
May you get to rest, may you catch your breath

And may the best of your todays be the worst of your tomorrows
And may the road less paved be the road that you follow

Well here's to the hearts that you're gonna break
Here's to the lives that you're gonna change