Fall 2019 Masters of Health Informatics

V08

2 hours ago, MI94 said:

Hey @iakuasa! Can you explain a little bit about the difference between the mhi from u of t and McMaster ehealth ? 

Hey @MI94, still in the process of figuring that out. You are probably better off reaching out to current students or alumni of each program who can really speak to both programs. There is also some insightful info from previous forums on GradCafe!

Waterloo vs U of T vs McMasters for health informatics? Guys kindly give me your opinions on the pros and cons you know of each of their programs. I know very little about them as i am an international applicant. Which programs offer better opportunities, better links with employers etc. Thanks guys

3 minutes ago, jeds said:

I got an offer today around 3pm for the executive stream.  Anyone else got an offer for the executive stream?  It starts June 21st.

Congrats!

@RN_HI I'm leaning towards accepting it.  Did you get an offer to both streams or just the executive?  I think it would be a pretty small group.  I think there's 35 total students and I reckon 10-15 would be from the executive stream and 20-25 would be from the regular?  Are you going to accept it?    

1 hour ago, jeds said:

@RN_HI I'm leaning towards accepting it.  Did you get an offer to both streams or just the executive?  I think it would be a pretty small group.  I think there's 35 total students and I reckon 10-15 would be from the executive stream and 20-25 would be from the regular?  Are you going to accept it?    

They only offer me the executive. I prefer the regular stream because it's shorter compare to executive and the regular is mostly in class. I'm trying to see the benefits of taking the emhi vs the regular. I'll have to ask around. I wonder if I can request to switch to regular stream. If not, then most likely I will be accepting this one. Let me know if you choose to accept it. So, we can connect.

7 hours ago, RN_HI said:

They only offer me the executive. I prefer the regular stream because it's shorter compare to executive and the regular is mostly in class. I'm trying to see the benefits of taking the emhi vs the regular. I'll have to ask around. I wonder if I can request to switch to regular stream. If not, then most likely I will be accepting this one. Let me know if you choose to accept it. So, we can connect.

I think they offer you emhi only because they want to try and fill the emhi stream with enough students so that they can run both programs.  I hear what you are saying about it being shorter but keep in mind we also start the program three months earlier than the regular stream.  So we probably finish only 3 months later instead of six months later.  Don't we actually end up doing more in class because we need to take 1.5 electives whereas the regular stream only takes 0.5 elective?  With the executive, I'm a bit worried about getting enough practical experience in the field since I will be doing a project instead of a 4 month full time practicum.  Of course the main benefit of the executive is financial, and still being able to work while going to school.  Also since this a full time program, I plan to take out funds from my rsp via the lifelong learning plan.  

13 hours ago, jeds said:

I think they offer you emhi only because they want to try and fill the emhi stream with enough students so that they can run both programs.  I hear what you are saying about it being shorter but keep in mind we also start the program three months earlier than the regular stream.  So we probably finish only 3 months later instead of six months later.  Don't we actually end up doing more in class because we need to take 1.5 electives whereas the regular stream only takes 0.5 elective?  With the executive, I'm a bit worried about getting enough practical experience in the field since I will be doing a project instead of a 4 month full time practicum.  Of course the main benefit of the executive is financial, and still being able to work while going to school.  Also since this a full time program, I plan to take out funds from my rsp via the lifelong learning plan.   

Depending on your current work situation. If you're already working in an organization and your current role gives you opportunity to integrate your learning with your current practice, then you'll be able to learn and work at the same time. Also, you'll have job stability. Unlike the regular stream after practicum, it'll be extra pressure to look for a permanent job. Are you in clinical side or IT?

Edited by RN_HI

On 4/10/2019 at 4:10 PM, Josinho9 said:

Waterloo vs U of T vs McMasters for health informatics? Guys kindly give me your opinions on the pros and cons you know of each of their programs. I know very little about them as i am an international applicant. Which programs offer better opportunities, better links with employers etc. Thanks guys

From a previous group: 

'About this question, I actually asked about the difference between some MHI programs after I was done my presentation. I was told from the professor interviewing me that all are great programs. He said Waterloo seems to focus a tad more on engineering, Mac is a bit more business, and UofT is more organizational, meaning that "U of T essentially wants all the CIOs to come from here". That's just one source though so take it as you will'

On 4/11/2019 at 7:14 AM, jeds said:

Hey so I’m not so sure about this as I got early admission into MHI and then because of my work experience they said that they are also considering me for eMHI  and got into that as well. It seems the EMHI is catered to those who already have work experience.