2019 Waitlist Thread

Izakawa

1 hour ago, Dwar said:

hey all I have a question. 

So seeing as my chances for grad school next year kinda shrunk with 3 rejections and 2 waitlists, I started applying to jobs. Thankfully I found a job that I really like and I interviewed with them on Monday. Yesterday I found out that I was moved to the second round of interviews, to say I was ecstatic for some good news would be an understatement. However the wording of the email made it seem like, should everything go well next week at the second interview, I could be receiving an offer either late next week or early the following one. Obviously this would be amazing and I would be so thankful, but my dream is to attend grad school and if offered admissions at either of the two waitlisted schools (provided the funding is offered and enough to live on) I would accept.

So here is my question, if offered the job next week or the week after, should I reach out to the DGS's of the schools and tell them that I have a wonderful job offer available, and ask for any updates? I know that this type of thing is normally done if an academic offer is made, but what about an actual job offer? I may be able to put the job off for a few days, I believe I read somewhere that they would need an answer within like 5 or 10 days after the offer, but thats before April 15th by a long time.

Some clarification, the job would be for a 1 year AmeriCorps position with an organization that I am pretty passionate about, the plan would be to then reapply next cycle. 

This is sorta similar to my situation! I have a job offer that was supposed to expire after 10 days, but they're kindly giving me a month because I'm on a waitlist I've been very transparent with them about grad school. I would be totally honest with everyone involved. Reach out to your schools if you do get the job offer, and ask if you can have an update sooner. Talk to your contact for your new job, inform them of the situation, and ask for an extension on your offer. They might say yes, they might say no. My job offer has been very accommodating, but if they had put their foot down, I would probably have removed myself from the waitlist. Are you willing to do this? If not, you might have to say goodbye to a really nice job, you're playing a game of probability here!

Also, hold onto the little delays – schedule your job interview for as late as you can ;)

If you do get the job offer, you could send something like this:

Dear XXX,

Thank you so much, I am ecstatic about this wonderful opportunity with XXX! I very much enjoyed my conversations with X, Y, and Z person, and am excited to move forward.

There is one more component to my situation that I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you. In addition to applying to work at XXX, I have also applied to a graduate school program, and I will receive my final result from the school by mid-April. This exciting offer with XXX company is my priority, but because the graduate school application is a months-long process, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to see it through if possible. Is there any way I could receive an extension on my offer to accommodate for this timeline?

Sincerely,

Dwar

Edited by aggiezone

18 minutes ago, aggiezone said:

If you do get the job offer, you could send something like this:

thank you so much for your insight! 

If offered the job (I would be thrilled) I would probably ask them for as long as possible to decide. Then I guess I would email the programs and ask if they can provide an update sooner due to new circumstances. I am hoping that by that point the visit days will have finished and they can provide a better answer. 

TBH if the job does put its foot down, I guess I'd have to accept it and remove myself from the waitlists. As much as it pains me to say this, I think that the guarantee of a job next year is better then the uncertainty of staying on the waitlists. its a shame too because one of the programs I am waitlisted at is like my dream program. I've told the DGS that if offered I would accept immediately, one of my LOR writers actually reached out to her contact (my POI and like her bff) at the school without my prompting to talk about my position on the waitlist. Honestly at this point I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do besides wait and come up with alternative plans. 

14 minutes ago, Dwar said:

thank you so much for your insight! 

If offered the job (I would be thrilled) I would probably ask them for as long as possible to decide. Then I guess I would email the programs and ask if they can provide an update sooner due to new circumstances. I am hoping that by that point the visit days will have finished and they can provide a better answer. 

TBH if the job does put its foot down, I guess I'd have to accept it and remove myself from the waitlists. As much as it pains me to say this, I think that the guarantee of a job next year is better then the uncertainty of staying on the waitlists. its a shame too because one of the programs I am waitlisted at is like my dream program. I've told the DGS that if offered I would accept immediately, one of my LOR writers actually reached out to her contact (my POI and like her bff) at the school without my prompting to talk about my position on the waitlist. Honestly at this point I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do besides wait and come up with alternative plans. 

I feel the same way – it'd be so hard to give up my dream school waitlist, but a definite job would be worth it :) 

25 minutes ago, aggiezone said:

I feel the same way – it'd be so hard to give up my dream school waitlist, but a definite job would be worth it :) 

For sure. and I plan on applying again next cycle if the waitlists fall through, so it won't be like im giving on grad school all together 

11 minutes ago, Dwar said:

For sure. and I plan on applying again next cycle if the waitlists fall through, so it won't be like im giving on grad school all together 

Same! My PI at Dream School says he might not be able to get me off the waitlist this year, but that I'm really close and he really hopes I apply again next year if it doesn't work out :)

Just now, Impatient Microbe said:

A school I interviewed for has sent out its first round of acceptance letters (I was informed of this by a grad student). But I have not been officially informed of a waitlist or rejection. It has been over a month since the interview. Is it safe to email requesting a status update?

For sure!

Honestly I was emailing a day after acceptances went out, I commend you on your patience with waiting a month. 

5 minutes ago, aggiezone said:

Same! My PI at Dream School says he might not be able to get me off the waitlist this year, but that I'm really close and he really hopes I apply again next year if it doesn't work out :)

Aw, i'm sorry about that. Honestly even thought this program is awesome, i'm not sure I'd apply again. I already have a great list of 10+ schools i'm planning on applying to next cycle. Honestly I just want closure at this point, I am using all of my willpower to not email the DGS again and ask for an update (I spoke to him last Tuesday). My plan is to shoot him an email next week.

• 2 weeks later...

350.png

After being told by my POI at my top program choice I was first on the waitlist and I'm number two on the waitlist at my second choice program. But in all seriousness I really hope I can nab a spot at my first choice. I still am hoping, but trying to be cautiously optimistic as I'm sure all of y'all are as well. 

On 1/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, TheDarkOne said:

Got waitlisted today at UCSD! On a sunday, wasn't even hoping for an answer today.

Should I reply to the program director thanking him for the waitlist consideration? Or is it annoying the guy?

Did they change your status to waitlisted or you emailed them to ask about it?

On 3/15/2019 at 10:50 PM, T.C.96 said:

Did they change your status to waitlisted or you emailed them to ask about it?

My status didn't change, there was an email directing me to a message on the portal.

Status still says "submimitted".

11 hours ago, Izakawa said:

Got rejected from one of the waitlists and sitting on three more. Is it ever possible to get off the list???

You will!! Being patient is the hard part!

These next few weeks will be tough for all of us.. Every day wake up thinking "is today the day?!" Gotta figure out a way to forget about all this until April!

I've gotten one acceptance at a good school in my field but I'm not sure I want to go because the location/weather is less than ideal and its not a place with many job prospects for my SO. I'm currently on a wait-list for another school in a perfect location for my SO and I. The wait is killing me and I don't know if I'm giving up on a opportunity that could potentially be great for my career. Should I go job hunting and reapply next year or stick it out at a good school where I may not be happy? 

Edited by Wobbuffet

Again, got waitlisted today after the interview. Fifth waitlist, in total.

Is a life testing my patience? If so, I am in the deepest depression. Cannot imagine, how can i wait more until April 15

Is it bad/weird to email a POI with whom I never had prior contact? I want to, but I feel weird about it. I'm waitlisted for an interview, and I see that someone else on the waitlist was offered interview a week ago. They still haven't sent out their acceptances to my knowledge, but I feel that it's getting late, and this is my top choice.

1 hour ago, aggiezone said:

Reached out to PI for an update after a month of no news. Nothing yet :( blehh

Same here! I've been so anxious and stressed that I finally sent an email on Wednesday, still nothing :(

Image result for quit playing games with my heart

Edited by vallaboop

8 minutes ago, Izakawa said:

Again, got waitlisted today after the interview. Fifth waitlist, in total.

Omg, 5 waitlists!!! Stay strong!

4 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Is it bad/weird to email a POI with whom I never had prior contact? I want to, but I feel weird about it. I'm waitlisted for an interview, and I see that someone else on the waitlist was offered interview a week ago. They still haven't sent out their acceptances to my knowledge, but I feel that it's getting late, and this is my top choice.

Do it! You want them to know who you are, and know you're interested.

3 minutes ago, vallaboop said:

Same here! I've been so anxious and stressed that I finally sent an email on Wednesday, still nothing :(  

Aghhhhh. My PI said the admitted students weekend is soon and he might know more after that. To be honest, it's very rare for anyone to turn down this program, so my hope is probably futile...

16 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Also, if it's your top choice, and you will attend if accepted – tell them that!

1 minute ago, aggiezone said:

Also, if it's your top choice, and you will attend if accepted – tell them that!

It's weird though because I'm told by the department in January that they will let me know if they will be able to offer me an interview or if they will be "unable to offer me a position." So, it's not even waitlisted for an offer but waitlisted for an interview :( I emailed the person who notified me of the waitlist early last week to ask if I could submit some updates to my applications and affirm that it's my top choice, but I never got a response, so I don't know if I'm being pushy by emailing a professor next. But everyone IRL is telling me to be more aggressive, hahaha.

Just now, sgaw10 said:

It's weird though because I'm told by the department in January that they will let me know if they will be able to offer me an interview or if they will be "unable to offer me a position." So, it's not even waitlisted for an offer but waitlisted for an interview :( I emailed the person who notified me of the waitlist early last week to ask if I could submit some updates to my applications and affirm that it's my top choice, but I never got a response, so I don't know if I'm being pushy by emailing a professor next. But everyone IRL is telling me to be more aggressive, hahaha.

I think there's a way to do it without being pushy, for sure. You would probably rather be a little too aggressive than have nobody know who you are! You don't have much to lose!

Dear Prof,

I hope this email finds you well. I am a current applicant to Program at School, which is my top choice for graduate school. Your research in X, Y, Z is incredibly exciting, and it aligns very well with my own research and experience P and Q. I'm currently waitlisted for an interview at Program, and I wanted to reach out, because I am very interested in working in your lab.

Sincerely,

sgaw10

Something like this?? Idk this email is hard to write

3 minutes ago, aggiezone said:

I think there's a way to do it without being pushy, for sure. You would probably rather be a little too aggressive than have nobody know who you are! You don't have much to lose!

Dear Prof,

I hope this email finds you well. I am a current applicant to Program at School, which is my top choice for graduate school. Your research in X, Y, Z is incredibly exciting, and it aligns very well with my own research and experience P and Q. I'm currently waitlisted for an interview at Program, and I wanted to reach out, because I am very interested in working in your lab.

Sincerely,

sgaw10

Something like this?? Idk this email is hard to write

Hahaha, thank you. I guess the worst thing is that he doesn't respond, and I feel like it's getting to the point where it's now or never, even if they haven't even sent out acceptances to their first choice applicants yet. I hope the application season is treating you well.