2019 Waitlist Thread

Izakawa

16 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

All right, y'all. 

Long story short -- was waitlisted for an interview in January. Emailed POI last month, no response. Emailed grad admissions coordinator via my notification email last month twice, no response. Called the department inquiring how to update my transcript twice (once last month and once last week), no response. I realize that this is an extremely busy time of year, but this is frustrating. And it's the beginning of the end. Is it acceptable for me to call again tomorrow or Friday?

If you were waitlisted for an interview (and thus have not interviewed, I assume), then it is pretty much over for that school. Especially if you've not heard any other response. I would move on, unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, 1996kayden said:

If you were waitlisted for an interview (and thus have not interviewed, I assume), then it is pretty much over for that school. Especially if you've not heard any other response. I would move on, unfortunately. 

I think you're right. I will probably hold off until deadline day, but I wasn't sure if it was worth bugging them any more about it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, sgaw10 said:

was waitlisted for an interview in January.

Does this mean you did NOT get an interview? Or did you get waitlisted AFTER an interview?

If you didn't get an interview I'd assume you've lost your chance.

7 minutes ago, DRMF said:

Does this mean you did NOT get an interview? Or did you get waitlisted AFTER an interview?

If you didn't get an interview I'd assume you've lost your chance.

I did not get an interview. They said that I have potential to succeed in the program but due to the qualifications of other applicants, they will reach out for a Skype interview if space becomes available.

Well, I’m officially waitlisted for funding. I guess I’m just here to vent. 

I got into both programs I applied to and got funded at one and waitlisted for funding at the other which happens to be my first choice. The email said all the TA positions were already offered to students so I just need to wait for them to possibly decline. I don’t know where I am on this waitlist. Their students need to decide by the same day I need to decide about my second choice so I’m feeling very stressed. 

It sucks to know I wasn’t my favorite advisor’s first choice. It sucks to have to keep waiting to find out - and so last minute. I’m thankful I have a school to go to if the first choice doesn’t work out, but I’ve been so excited to possibly work with my first choice advisor for months and months. Having a bad day over here. 

Finally, I got off waitlist at Emory!!

I was notified to be waitlisted for the interview in January. Yesterday, I was invited for an interview and today I got an admissions offer. Please, dont give up-there are more 4days until April15

8 hours ago, Izakawa said:

Finally, I got off waitlist at Emory!!

I was notified to be waitlisted for the interview in January. Yesterday, I was invited for an interview and today I got an admissions offer. Please, dont give up-there are more 4days until April15

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! This seriously makes me feel so so glad. I am so pumped for you. We were both waitlisted at four schools and got an offer!! There is definitely hope!

will you be accepting this offer or will you hold out to hear from the other schools?

Edited by itheproofofstupidity

1 hour ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! This seriously makes me feel so so glad. I am so pumped for you. We were both waitlisted at four schools and got an offer!! There is definitely hope!

will you be accepting this offer or will you hold out to hear from the other schools?

Thank you very much! Nice to hear that you also got accepted off waitlist. I have already accepted this offer as it was my top choice! Best of luck!!

17 hours ago, MinDZ said:

I got into both programs I applied to and got funded at one and waitlisted for funding at the other which happens to be my first choice. The email said all the TA positions were already offered to students so I just need to wait for them to possibly decline. I don’t know where I am on this waitlist. Their students need to decide by the same day I need to decide about my second choice so I’m feeling very stressed. 

It sucks to know I wasn’t my favorite advisor’s first choice. It sucks to have to keep waiting to find out - and so last minute. I’m thankful I have a school to go to if the first choice doesn’t work out, but I’ve been so excited to possibly work with my first choice advisor for months and months. Having a bad day over here. 

So I’m also a geology major with a focus in planetary science. I saw this as I’m assuming you’re applying to geology as well from what it says on the bio. What school are you waiting on? I am offered a TA position then NASA funding when it comes in for University of Alabama. If your top choice is this school, I won’t be making a decision till after April 15 when the schools (Washington University in St. Louis and University of Hawaii) I’m waitlisted for respond. I got an extension from Alabama. 

Edited by siberiantiger

3 hours ago, siberiantiger said:

So I’m also a geology major with a focus in planetary science. I saw this as I’m assuming you’re applying to geology as well from what it says on the bio. What school are you waiting on? I am offered a TA position then NASA funding when it comes in for University of Alabama. If your top choice is this school, I won’t be making a decision till after April 15 when the schools (Washington University in St. Louis and University of Hawaii) I’m waitlisted for respond. I got an extension from Alabama. 

Aw thanks for replying. I’m waiting on Western Washington University. I did end up getting an extension for my decision which is super helpful. Good luck to you! I hope we don’t have to wait too much longer. 

I've been waitlisted at my top choice school. They said they would try to inform us before April 15th, but I know they might not given that people will wait until the last minute to decline/accept offers. 

I'm planning on accepting my second choice on the 15th. With the deadline coming up and no word yet about the waitlist, my question is: how bad does it look if I withdraw, if by some small chance my first choice accepts me off the waitlist after the 15th? Should I send an email to the second choice school to warn them there's a small chance I'll withdraw? Or ask them for an extension?

Haven't heard a word from three programs since I applied, which was in November......Am I waitlisted or simply too unqualified to receive attention?

By the way is it true that people don't respond to the decision until the last minute? That would be bad news for me because it's dawn here around the dealine.

10 hours ago, 092;2m3912 said:

Haven't heard a word from three programs since I applied, which was in November......Am I waitlisted or simply too unqualified to receive attention?

By the way is it true that people don't respond to the decision until the last minute? That would be bad news for me because it's dawn here around the dealine.

Have you inquired about this to the admissions people?

I do think a lot of people wait until the last minute because they’re hoping to hear from other universities. 

hey fellow waitlisters! I am currently on the waiting list from MS in Media program at Indiana University at Bloomington. They offered me admission but put me on funding waitlist. This is really frustrating because that is my dream program but could not afford it without full funding. Anyone got a idea about the likelihood of getting off the waitlist??

13 hours ago, lewang299 said:

hey fellow waitlisters! I am currently on the waiting list from MS in Media program at Indiana University at Bloomington. They offered me admission but put me on funding waitlist. This is really frustrating because that is my dream program but could not afford it without full funding. Anyone got a idea about the likelihood of getting off the waitlist??

No advice but I’m in the same situation. It felt so good to get in, but without funding it’s not even a possibility. I hope we get off the waitlist really quickly!!!!

20 hours ago, MinDZ said:

Have you inquired about this to the admissions people?

I do think a lot of people wait until the last minute because they’re hoping to hear from other universities. 

I did several times. One program told me yesterday the decision is not ready yet, and other two didn't reply.

May I ask another question: a program giving me offer said I must respond by April 15 but didn't specify the time. Is there a more concrete national deadline to respond to offers? Or is it more flexible than I imagine?

12 hours ago, 092;2m3912 said:

I did several times. One program told me yesterday the decision is not ready yet, and other two didn't reply.

May I ask another question: a program giving me offer said I must respond by April 15 but didn't specify the time. Is there a more concrete national deadline to respond to offers? Or is it more flexible than I imagine?

As for the deadline issue, I suggest you asking the specific school about it, because different programs have different policies. I am saying this because one of my schools asks me to reply to them by 10 AM EST on April 15th, and another one says it is just fine to let them know before then end of April 15th, that said, before 11:59PM (23:59) on 15th April. So just let them know your concern! 

On 4/12/2019 at 12:12 PM, CarmenCarminis said:

I've been waitlisted at my top choice school. They said they would try to inform us before April 15th, but I know they might not given that people will wait until the last minute to decline/accept offers. 

I'm planning on accepting my second choice on the 15th. With the deadline coming up and no word yet about the waitlist, my question is: how bad does it look if I withdraw, if by some small chance my first choice accepts me off the waitlist after the 15th? Should I send an email to the second choice school to warn them there's a small chance I'll withdraw? Or ask them for an extension?

Hey, CarmenCarminis. . Withdrawing from the offer you committed at first does not constitute the violation of any law, in my opinion. And I guess the school will probably release you because they do not wanna someone who does not consider him/herself belonging there.  You do have some risks, although not big, burning the bridges to your dream school if your first choice does not want to let you go. But again, the risks are quite low. 

However, it is best to ask for an extension. Tell them your situation, be honest and sincere. They all know that students have many competing offers. 

On 1/26/2019 at 8:06 AM, Ternwild said:

In the 30+ schools I've applied to over the years, I've never been waitlisted once. 

Whelp.  Count me one time waitlisted.  Decided on another university, but if I get a late cycle acceptance, I'll ask if I can defer a year. 

Program that waitlisted me said that waitlistees must wait for an interview, but someone was accepted late last week. I have a great school to attend if a miracle doesn't happen, but I'm going to see if anything happens tomorrow until the end of business hours. I'll probably call the department again despite no one giving me any answers this past month. Not going to expect anything, but I've waited this long, so I figure there's no harm in another 19 hours... And the process will all be done very soon, which makes me very happy.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, MinDZ said:

People declined! I’m going to WWU!