2019 Waitlist Thread

Izakawa

3 minutes ago, rooftop said:

I am so glad that you got off the waitlist at your top choice!! Congrats!! I envy you (positively ?)

I have been waitlisted for almost two months now at one school, and I feel anxious. I am not even sure that I should send an email to the program coordinator (= a professor) for additional information regarding the waitlist. ??

there's no reason not to! Just mention your interest and ask if there have been any updates to your application status and when you can expect to receive a final decision. Your waiting is almost over! Hang in there!

2 hours ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

Guys! After being waitlisted at four schools, I finally got off the waitlist at my top choice! It seems the reason I got off the waitlist is because a faculty member has offered to fund me from her outside grant whereas the department usually funds first year students which I assume is usually the limiting factor for admissions. This is good news for me as I will have an RAship on day one with the professor I wanted to work with most (wrote my SoP about her work). There is light at the end of the tunnel!! Hang in there everyone. Wishing everyone good news soon. 

OMG congratulations!!!! That's awesome!

When is it okay to email POI again? I'm assuming I'm waitlisted, I had an interview February 23rd and they told us we would know if we were rejected but if we were on the waitlist we wouldn't know. Since it has been just over a month and it's almost April I'm assuming the first round of offers has gone out. I reached out to my POI last Wednesday and received no response. Previous email communication with her has been prompt. On Tuesday I emailed the director of graduate admissions (who gave the information session during the interview) but she hasn't responded either. The application portal still says my application is under review by committee. I know I can call but I don't know if I can control my emotions enough to do that, I want a spot in this specific program so bad it's killing me. I'm afraid if I call I'll start crying, which is ridiculous and I'm an adult and I should get my shiz together. Any suggestions? Words of wisdom? A slap in the face to snap me out of it?

6 minutes ago, vallaboop said:

When is it okay to email POI again? I'm assuming I'm waitlisted, I had an interview February 23rd and they told us we would know if we were rejected but if we were on the waitlist we wouldn't know. Since it has been just over a month and it's almost April I'm assuming the first round of offers has gone out. I reached out to my POI last Wednesday and received no response. Previous email communication with her has been prompt. On Tuesday I emailed the director of graduate admissions (who gave the information session during the interview) but she hasn't responded either. The application portal still says my application is under review by committee. I know I can call but I don't know if I can control my emotions enough to do that, I want a spot in this specific program so bad it's killing me. I'm afraid if I call I'll start crying, which is ridiculous and I'm an adult and I should get my shiz together. Any suggestions? Words of wisdom? A slap in the face to snap me out of it?

I totally understand how you feel. This is a really crazy time for all the admissions committees so it makes sense that you aren't getting prompt responses. Calling the coordinator might be your best bet. Before you call, write yourself a script that you can read. that might help you control your nerves. 

People (including myself) become wary that these programs might think badly of us when we reach out for updates, but I think they completely understand how we feel and would not be surprised to hear from us. Give them a call! If that doesn't work, at least you know that the wait is almost over!

1 minute ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

I totally understand how you feel. This is a really crazy time for all the admissions committees so it makes sense that you aren't getting prompt responses. Calling the coordinator might be your best bet. Before you call, write yourself a script that you can read. that might help you control your nerves. 

People (including myself) become wary that these programs might think badly of us when we reach out for updates, but I think they completely understand how we feel and would not be surprised to hear from us. Give them a call! If that doesn't work, at least you know that the wait is almost over!

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I'm still scared though, maybe I'll give them to tomorrow afternoon to respond... :( ?‍♀️

On 3/1/2019 at 9:28 AM, Ihatethissomuch said:

I only applied to one school and was waitlisted. I'm feeling pretty heart-broken. I had been posting in another thread directly related to the program I applied to but accepted applicants have made comments that i am being negative and disvaluing peoples' hard work -) i had made some comments that i have seen really stellar applicants get rejected and some applicants who may not 'wow' on paper get accepted. 

Now I don't know where to turn. I certainly wasnt attacking anyone's hard work - and that being said, I really dont believe that accepted applicants just 'worked harder' and that's why they were accepted. The process involves so much more than that.

Anyway I just needed a somewhat safe outlet to vent to people who may currently understand how I am feeling. I am feeling distraught, rejected, and am filled with self-doubt.

I am honestly in the same position. I was waitlisted at my dream school, and it is my second year applying there. I find out next week if I am in. I have 0 clue what my rank is, and am uncertain as to how large the waitlist even is. All I know is that they accept 20 students a year. 

I think that there is a lot more to the application process than if someone works hard enough to acquire an acceptance. My credentials are really good for my program; but I have seen people get in with less credentials and slightly higher grades. Hang in there, I can relate to the feeling you have!  

Haven't received a response from my email or voicemail I left for the department where I am waitlisted. With less than two weeks until the deadline, it's safe to say I'm a tad stressed.

I was notified that two offers had been accepted, but the program may be able to make a third but they will not know until April 15. Any one knows what's going on there? The coordinator told me it is possible, but I'm too worried and begin to apply for a job now.

Edited by minimu

13 minutes ago, minimu said:

I was notified that two offers had been accepted, but the program may be able to make a third but they will not know until April 15. Any one knows what's going on there? The coordinator told me it is possible, but I'm too worried and begin to apply for a job now.

That sounds like a pretty standard waitlist procedure to me. I'd guess the program already accepted a 3rd applicant, but that applicant hasn't responded yet. If you're at the top of the waitlist your chances are decent, but applying to jobs is a smart move.

14 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

That sounds like a pretty standard waitlist procedure to me. I'd guess the program already accepted a 3rd applicant, but that applicant hasn't responded yet. If you're at the top of the waitlist your chances are decent, but applying to jobs is a smart move.

Thanks for your reply!! 

I just called the coordinator because I am too confused. She told me that the third offer has not been made. The decision of whether to make one more offer will depend on the number of the cohort of program (ph.d. in business). If there is more space for the whole cohort, this offer will be sent.

Well...whatever...it's something new to me.....?

Just now, minimu said:

Thanks for your reply!! 

I just called the coordinator because I am too confused. She told me that the third offer has not been made. The decision of whether to make one more offer will depend on the number of the cohort of program (ph.d. in business). If there is more space for the whole cohort, this offer will be sent.

Well...whatever...it's something new to me.....?

Ahh, I see. Well I don't know this specific program, but it may have to do with how the department handles POIs. Perhaps every POI makes an offer to 2+ students, and if that leaves space in the cohort, they start sending out more offers. At any rate, if they're being vague it's probably a matter of departmental policy; they may not be able to discuss precisely how the decisions process works. The important thing is that it sounds like you're probably high on the list (even if it's not a "sure thing").

2 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Ahh, I see. Well I don't know this specific program, but it may have to do with how the department handles POIs. Perhaps every POI makes an offer to 2+ students, and if that leaves space in the cohort, they start sending out more offers. At any rate, if they're being vague it's probably a matter of departmental policy; they may not be able to discuss precisely how the decisions process works. The important thing is that it sounds like you're probably high on the list (even if it's not a "sure thing").

I asked her in a straightforward way cuz I'm tired of being "not sure"?. She said I'm the #1 of the waiting list. And I even asked "is it still worth waiting? Is it possible for your program to make a 3rd offer?" She repeated "it's possible". Sounds a good news to me but I will definitely go for the job search now. 

I also encouraged all guys to give a call for the program if you are too worried. Get a talk in person to see what's going on there!

Guys, need you advice. Recently, I have applied for RA position job at my waitlisted school hoping that it can somehow help me. Do you think it worth notifying the program coordinator about it in order to emphasize to what extent the school matters for me? I contacted them last week and there is no reply yet. So dont know to ask again this week or not.

I just cannot wait anymore....

4 minutes ago, Izakawa said:

Guys, need you advice. Recently, I have applied for RA position job at my waitlisted school hoping that it can somehow help me. Do you think it worth notifying the program coordinator about it in order to emphasize to what extent the school matters for me? I contacted them last week and there is no reply yet. So dont know to ask again this week or not.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. This is an extremely busy time for graduate departments, so unless you have a specific inquiry, "just checking in" messages are likely to be seen as unnecessary. No one likes unnecessary emails. I can't imagine how stressful this must be for an international student, but unfortunately there's not much you can do but wait.

2 hours ago, Izakawa said:

If you have already sent a letter of continued interest, and they didn’t respond, I would suggest just leaving it at that. Honestly if you get the job, you could always stop by the department afterwards if you get rejected or accepted just to show your interest. It’s such a tough waiting game, and trust me, the wait has definitely been killing me too! Just hang in there and trust that the work you have put in will be recognised, and you will get in one way or another. If not this year, then the next. positive vibes to you!! I hope you hear back soon! 

Hi everyone!

I applied to one program, Marymount University Forensic & Legal Psychology Program (M.A.)! I was told on February 25th that I got waitlisted! I emailed the school for more information on my status right after receiving the news and they told me there are about 40-50 people on the waitlist and that I am in the top third! (Side note: they said they get around 200 applicants every year and accept around 90 people). The program had a deadline for a deposit (to save your spot) for accepted students on March 15th. I was really hoping to hear something around those days, hoping that enough people didn't pay for their spot in order for them to offer me admission. I attended their open house and their program specific welcome event (waitlisted students were invited too). What should I do next? Should I wait until after April 15th to email them to see if my rank has changed at all, in hopes that someone who paid for their spot got accepted somewhere else and decided to decline the program? 

So anxious!! 

Edited by cji21

This last week before Apr. 15 is going to be agonizing. I'm first on the waitlist for a program I'd be very excited to attend. They accept only 4 students per year, my application was ranked 5th. That's flattering but frustrating as you can imagine. I contacted the program director for more info and found out 2 of the 4 have accepted... I'd hate to read the tea leaves too much but can't help but speculate as how what the other 2 are thinking with their offers. At the very least it's good it obviously wasn't a slam dunk "yes" for all of them, or they'd all have accepted by now.

I was waitlisted at UW back on the 18th last month. I followed up reiterating my interest last Monday (4/1) and they invited me to interview, which I did on Thursday. I thought it went well enough (though I was rejected from UT Austin when I thought it went well, so that doesn't mean much!). Shortly after the interview, however, I was sent the specific details about their funding offer... but nothing in the email indicated I'd been accepted. It was just the funding details. For some reason. I hadn't brought it up during the interview at all and I've been trying to keep my mind off it because otherwise I will get my hopes up but I'm still baffled. Is that typical information to give to a waitlisted applicant? 

Is it weird to get a rejection email from your POI ("Unfortunately there were not enough slots to accept many of the extremely qualified candidates this year.") just over a week ago but the application portal still says "under committee review"? 

1 hour ago, vallaboop said:

Is it weird to get a rejection email from your POI ("Unfortunately there were not enough slots to accept many of the extremely qualified candidates this year.") just over a week ago but the application portal still says "under committee review"? 

Pretty common in my experience. If the POI told you that, it's pretty much over, unfortunately. 

15 hours ago, 1996kayden said:

Pretty common in my experience. If the POI told you that, it's pretty much over, unfortunately. 

blah. Okay thanks

All right, y'all. 

Long story short -- was waitlisted for an interview in January. Emailed POI last month, no response. Emailed grad admissions coordinator via my notification email last month twice, no response. Called the department inquiring how to update my transcript twice (once last month and once last week), no response. I realize that this is an extremely busy time of year, but this is frustrating. And it's the beginning of the end. Is it acceptable for me to call again tomorrow or Friday?