NYC SLP Applicant

On 2/5/2019 at 11:50 PM, SLPapplicant2019 said:

Hey, 

I'm from New York and only applied to SLP grad programs in the NY are (LIU Post and Brooklyn, Adelphi, Pace, Hofstra, Iona, St. John’s, and Molloy).  When anyone hears back from a school or gets an interview let us know! 

Hey there! I actually didn't apply to any of these schools, but did visit NYU in the fall for a prospective student session and applied there. I've seen other posters from NY apply to a lot of in-state schools besides NYU. Just curious if there was a reason for this (being in-state you may know more about their program/have reasons for not applying). Let me know if you feel like sharing, and good luck with your schools!! 

10 hours ago, lilyslp said:

Hey there! I actually didn't apply to any of these schools, but did visit NYU in the fall for a prospective student session and applied there. I've seen other posters from NY apply to a lot of in-state schools besides NYU. Just curious if there was a reason for this (being in-state you may know more about their program/have reasons for not applying). Let me know if you feel like sharing, and good luck with your schools!! 

Hey! How did you feel about your visit? Was there anything especially positive or negative about your experience? I'm curious about NYU's program.

21 hours ago, lilyslp said:

Greetings from a 2019 applicant! Saw this thread up in my recents and thought I'd comment. I visited NYU (out-of-state) for a prospective student session in the fall and applied there. I've noticed that a lot of individuals from New York apply to many schools in the state besides NYU (or it doesn't seem as common) -- I'm curious if there's a reason for this, and being in-state you may have more insight. Please share if you want to! :)

21 hours ago, lilyslp said:

I was accepted to NYU's online SLP program in 2017 and I live in NY.  I think instate students shy away from NYU is because it is costly.

Edited by Arcanelady27

Hey, 

I'm from New York and only applied to SLP grad programs in the NY are (LIU Post and Brooklyn, Adelphi, Pace, Hofstra, Iona, St. John’s, and Molloy).  When anyone hears back from a school or gets an interview let us know! 

Hi!

I'm also from New York and applied mostly to SLP grad programs in and around NY. I got accepted to LIU Brooklyn last week, and have interviews for New York Medical College, Mercy College, Syracuse (phone interview), and Sacred Heart University. I also applied to NYU, Adelphi, Hofstra, Stockton, and Adelphi but haven't heard from those schools yet. 

If anyone has any information or advice for interviews with those schools or hears back from any listed above please let me know! #gradszn #letsgetit

On 2/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, lilyslp said:

I wanted to apply to NYU but unfortunately I didn’t have all the supplemental essays done by January 1st. NYU was one of the first deadlines

On 2/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, Kristen Khouri said:

Hi!

I'm also from New York and applied mostly to SLP grad programs in and around NY. I got accepted to LIU Brooklyn last week, and have interviews for New York Medical College, Mercy College, Syracuse (phone interview), and Sacred Heart University. I also applied to NYU, Adelphi, Hofstra, Stockton, and Adelphi but haven't heard from those schools yet. 

If anyone has any information or advice for interviews with those schools or hears back from any listed above please let me know! #gradszn #letsgetit

What are your thoughts about living in NYC for grad school? Just forward thinking about housing situations... I got into NYMC and heard that a fair amount of students reverse commute from the city. If you decided to attend a school in NYC, do you think you'll live in the city (in grad housing or not) or out?

Hey, 

I got accepted into Iona and LIU Post. Just had an interview with Pace on Friday and have another one with Mercy next Thursday. Still waiting to hear back from NYU, Adelphi, WIlliam Patterson, LIU Brooklyn, St.Johns, and Hofstra. My friend got accepted to St.Johns but I guess they send out acceptances at different times

3 hours ago, Speechiebeee said:

I got accepted into Iona and LIU Post. Just had an interview with Pace on Friday and have another one with Mercy next Thursday. Still waiting to hear back from NYU, Adelphi, WIlliam Patterson, LIU Brooklyn, St.Johns, and Hofstra. My friend got accepted to St.Johns but I guess they send out acceptances at different times

I also have an interview with Mercy College next Thursday. 

Good Luck to us both! ?

Edited by Arcanelady27

Hey everyone!! So just like everyone else I have been frantically checking grad cafe to see if anyone has heard from any of the schools I’ve applied to lol. So far I haven’t really seen anyone post anything about any CUNY schools, so I thought I would start a post that others could add to. I applied to CUNY Hunter, CUNY Brooklyn, CUNY Queens. I know these programs are superrrr competitive but they’re my top choices so I’d love to know if anyone has heard anything from them yet. I’ve also applied to LIU Post, Hofstra, and St. Johns. I was accepted to LIU Post but haven’t heard from anywhere else yet. If anyone has heard from any of these schools (interview/acceptance/waitlist) I would love to hear about it! Thanks :)

On 2/14/2019 at 11:20 PM, SLPapplicant2019 said:

I just got an interview to LIU POST has anyone heard anything about their interviews ?!? Thank you ! 

Hello! 

I actually have a friend who is in the program right now! I don't know if you had your interview yet, but they ask questions about your favorite LCD undergrad course & what you liked about it. Also they ask general Qs about volunteer experiences and such! hope that helps !

4 minutes ago, samiamslp said:

Hi @Arcanelady27! I saw that you have applied to Lehman College. Do you have any experience with the interviews there?

Yes,

I was asked what was the latest book I read. I wasn't asked any SLP content questions.

What made you want to enter the field of Speech-Language Pathology?

I can't recall the rest at this moment, but if do I will post.

Edited by Arcanelady27

1 minute ago, Arcanelady27 said:

Yes,

I was asked what was the latest book I read. I wasn't asked any SLP content questions.

What made you want to enter the field of Speech-Language Pathology?

I can't recall the rest at this moment, but if do I will post.

That is very helpful! Thank you so much!

1 minute ago, SLPapplicant2019 said:

Did everyone where a blazer to interviews or did you wear something else. I’m not sure what to wear! Please help! 

At my last interview, I wore a blazer but kept it open-- I felt like it would be too formal to wear it closed. Most people were wearing nice pants and a nice top, some with blazers and some without. I think as long as you look professional, you're fine! Hope this helps. 

2 minutes ago, SLPapplicant2019 said:

Did everyone where a blazer to interviews or did you wear something else. I’m not sure what to wear! Please help! 

I didn’t! I wore a blouse with black suit pants and I was perfectly dressed. I feel like it’s a preference thing 

So far, I've gotten emails for interviews at CUNY Queens, Lehman, & Brooklyn. Queens told me their decisions wouldn't be made until around March 27th. I haven't heard anything from Hunter yet though.