Hi all!

I thought it might be a good idea to create a forum where people can share their self-care tips, especially during this time period where grad school results are coming in (or not, which can be stressful). This is definitely not a cure or a 100% solution,  especially for those that have a mental illness, but I hope these tips/advice will be of some help during the waiting.

So, here are some self-care tips I TRY to utilize:

1. Walking. Being stationary is not good for your body in general, so it is always good to just take a walk outside and enjoy nature.

2. Binge watch movies or TV shows. Even though it is good to move around, sometimes it is also good to be lazy and laugh or cry or both a little. It's all about balance.

3. Read. It's a good distraction where you can improve your vocabulary. A win-win!

4. Listen to podcasts while I clean the house. Cleaning my house always me feel better. I take a long shower after cleaning and it feels good to chill in a house that won't stress me out anymore. I love listening to podcasts while I clean because I can listen to stories or learn something new while doing something that isn't the most fun thing to do.

5. Drink some herbal tea. The comfort of holding a warm cup of tea feels like home. I say herbal tea because it has little to no caffeine in it. Caffeine can sometimes increase my anxiety, so I try to avoid it all costs when I know my mental health is not doing very well. 

6. Hydrate. Water can help flush out the cortisol in your body when you are stressed and/or anxious.

7. BUBBLE bath! 

8. Yoga. I typically do yoga when I don't feel liking walking, but know I need to move my body. I can't do yoga without someone to tell me what to do, so I watch Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. She is funny and really good at teaching yoga.

9. Meditation. This can help you clear your mind. I use an app called Oak to learn how to mediate.

10. Nap. Sometimes what you need is some shut eye.

11. Talk with someone I am close with. Getting a different perspective on something that's bothering me can help me rethink about it. It's also good to talk with someone who cares about you and who you care about.

12. Face masks. It's nice taking off the mask and having a soft, clean face.

Please share any tips or advice you have for self-care! I also found this forum where you read some other self-care tips.

I wish everyone the best!

Edited by Moods

Good idea! These are great tips! 

I try to eat healthier and exercise more. I do workouts from home and usually in the morning so I start my day energized and positive. Taking care of the body is just as important as taking care of the mind. And it goes hand in hand!

I also keep a journal, which is cathartic to just get out all my thoughts and feelings. 

Good luck, everyone! 

I've been doing a lot of reading, drawing, listening to audiobooks, and walking my dog. Drawing is nice because it forces me to focus on something else and it can be quite cathartic. I have to work on other relaxing things, such as watching Netflix. Haven't sat down to watch a show in a long time, but perhaps I'll watch something in French!

16 hours ago, lovekilledinos said:

Good idea! These are great tips! 

I try to eat healthier and exercise more. I do workouts from home and usually in the morning so I start my day energized and positive. Taking care of the body is just as important as taking care of the mind. And it goes hand in hand!

I also keep a journal, which is cathartic to just get out all my thoughts and feelings. 

Good luck, everyone! 

That’s very true. Mental and physical health are definitely connected. Good advice! 

I journal sometimes too. I haven’t lately but in high school and my undergrad, I journaled all the time. I should try it again. Thanks for the reminder! 

16 hours ago, LOiseauRouge said:

I've been doing a lot of reading, drawing, listening to audiobooks, and walking my dog. Drawing is nice because it forces me to focus on something else and it can be quite cathartic. I have to work on other relaxing things, such as watching Netflix. Haven't sat down to watch a show in a long time, but perhaps I'll watch something in French!

If you like romcoms, there is a new French TV show on Netflix called The Hook Up Plan. It’s super funny/silly and super cute! 

I wish I could encourage myself to draw more, but that’s good that it works for you! 

16 hours ago, Izakawa said:

For me, the most important self care is not to check gmail and gradcafe website ☹️

I totally get that. However, it feels kind of impossible to not check gmail or this website, so that’s why I created this forum to hopefully help with the stress and maybe cause you to check these things less. I tried to stop myself from going on here, but it obviously didn’t work, so these are ways I use to cope. 

I love this! Here are some of mine:

• Hydrate! I always feel a million times better if I've had enough water. 
  • Eat healthy! Microwaving some frozen fish and a bag of vegetables takes ~10 mins, and makes me feel super replenished. 
  • Yoga! I love the way I feel after I do yoga. 
  • Hot shower! Just being able to get clean makes me feel amazing, and I love to sing in the shower. 
  • Journal! I've found that bullet journaling has been such an awesome outlet for when I need to express my thoughts. 
  • Go to the library! Maybe it's just a history major thing, but I find spending time in the library, even just looking at the spines of books, to be so relaxing. 

16 hours ago, historygeek said:

I love this! Here are some of mine:

• Hydrate! I always feel a million times better if I've had enough water. 
  • Eat healthy! Microwaving some frozen fish and a bag of vegetables takes ~10 mins, and makes me feel super replenished. 
  • Yoga! I love the way I feel after I do yoga. 
  • Hot shower! Just being able to get clean makes me feel amazing, and I love to sing in the shower. 
  • Journal! I've found that bullet journaling has been such an awesome outlet for when I need to express my thoughts. 
  • Go to the library! Maybe it's just a history major thing, but I find spending time in the library, even just looking at the spines of books, to be so relaxing. 

I love my bullet journal! Sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with it....but it’s nice when I do remember to use it! 

How could I forget about going to the library? Books are wonderful and definitely relaxing to be around! 

Great list! 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Moods said:

Hi all!

I thought it might be a good idea to create a forum where people can share their self-care tips, especially during this time period where grad school results are coming in (or not, which can be stressful). This is definitely not a cure or a 100% solution,  especially for those that have a mental illness, but I hope these tips/advice will be of some help during the waiting.

So, here are some self-care tips I TRY to utilize:

1. Walking. Being stationary is not good for your body in general, so it is always good to just take a walk outside and enjoy nature.

2. Binge watch movies or TV shows. Even though it is good to move around, sometimes it is also good to be lazy and laugh or cry or both a little. It's all about balance.

3. Read. It's a good distraction where you can improve your vocabulary. A win-win!

4. Listen to podcasts while I clean the house. Cleaning my house always me feel better. I take a long shower after cleaning and it feels good to chill in a house that won't stress me out anymore. I love listening to podcasts while I clean because I can listen to stories or learn something new while doing something that isn't the most fun thing to do.

5. Drink some herbal tea. The comfort of holding a warm cup of tea feels like home. I say herbal tea because it has little to no caffeine in it. Caffeine can sometimes increase my anxiety, so I try to avoid it all costs when I know my mental health is not doing very well. 

6. Hydrate. Water can help flush out the cortisol in your body when you are stressed and/or anxious.

7. BUBBLE bath! 

8. Yoga. I typically do yoga when I don't feel liking walking, but know I need to move my body. I can't do yoga without someone to tell me what to do, so I watch Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. She is funny and really good at teaching yoga.

9. Meditation. This can help you clear your mind. I use an app called Oak to learn how to mediate.

10. Nap. Sometimes what you need is some shut eye.

11. Talk with someone I am close with. Getting a different perspective on something that's bothering me can help me rethink about it. It's also good to talk with someone who cares about you and who you care about.

12. Face masks. It's nice taking off the mask and having a soft, clean face.

Please share any tips or advice you have for self-care! I also found this forum where you read some other self-care tips.

I wish everyone the best!

My current self care is not setting myself on fire.  Anything other than that is all uphill.

18 hours ago, Moods said:

That’s fair. I am still holding hope for you, even if you aren’t! 

I think my total applications will end up being 16 universities, this year.  I'm even applying to one masters program just in case all the PhD programs don't pan out.  If after 16 apps, this year, I'm gonna guess I'm just not Grad School material xD.

7 hours ago, Ternwild said:

I think my total applications will end up being 16 universities, this year.  I'm even applying to one masters program just in case all the PhD programs don't pan out.  If after 16 apps, this year, I'm gonna guess I'm just not Grad School material xD.

I imagine these past few years have been frustrating as hell...it’s truly the school’s loss, but it’s crappy that you are, I’m sure, a great student/physicists and yet schools are unable to fund everyone or whatever the heck their “reasoning” is for not accepting people and they don’t even realize the talent that they are missing out on. I am sorry you have gotten the super bad end of the deal multiple times. 

3 hours ago, Moods said:

I imagine these past few years have been frustrating as hell...it’s truly the school’s loss, but it’s crappy that you are, I’m sure, a great student/physicists and yet schools are unable to fund everyone or whatever the heck their “reasoning” is for not accepting people and they don’t even realize the talent that they are missing out on. I am sorry you have gotten the super bad end of the deal multiple times. 

I appreciate the kind words.  But, I don't blame anyone but myself.  The point is that I'm a pretty average physicist.  My issue is my inability to stand out among other average physicists.  If I could get them to interview me, I'd win them on charisma, alone, I'd imagine.  In the end, though, my short coming is not being a good enough salesman when it comes to writing about myself. 

If you have access to a hot tub/jacuzzi (living with my parents while I work and apply to grad schools and they hooked themselves up a few years ago) get in on that.  A few nights here lately in Western NY after rough days at work and stress over applications I've gotten in and soaked for an hour or so while stargazing if the sky is clear or watching the snowfall if it's not, and it relaxes me like crazy.

I think another thing that's helped keep me sane is not thinking right now about a future where I don't get into grad school if I strike out again this year.  I have a couple of potential plan Bs that I'll decide between in early March if I don't get any acceptances, but right now I just focus on work, exercise, and occasionally spending time with friends as our schedules allow to avoid focusing too hard on the future.  Neither of my plans involve doing anything immediately and tbh I couldn't start working on writing sample/SOP/etc. for the next round if I wanted too; it's just too soon.  Whether or not I'm accepted I have an online adjuncting gig for one course lined up in the fall, so I'm looking forward to teaching that again and reading up to prep for the course this summer.

I'm enjoying reading everyone else's tips!

On 2/11/2019 at 11:13 PM, fortsibut said:

few nights here lately in Western NY after rough days at work and stress over applications I've gotten in and soaked for an hour or so while stargazing if the sky is clear or watching the snowfall if it's not, and it relaxes me like crazy.

Wow, that sounds amazing!