what were you doing when you got accepted?

imonfire98

If you have been blessed/had the good fortune of being accepted somewhere, please tell us what you were doing when you first found out the good news...and what you did RIGHT AFTER. (I have seen some people share this info in other forums, but thought it would be fun to have all psychology ones together in one place.)

When I got the news, I was browsing the internet. It was the evening in my time zone and I figured that I probably wouldn't be hearing that day, even though I had been told to expect a phone call, so I was trying to distract myself from the nerves and dread of spending the weekend without answers. Getting the call was surreal and I didn't come off as excited as I felt. Right after my acceptance, I sat there for a few moments and then told my family! My father is a MD/PhD, so it was special to tell them I will be getting a PhD as well. Then I emailed my POI to follow-up and expressed my excitement in a clearer way.

I woke up from a long night of sleep to an email from the application portal. The email simply said "log into the portal to see the decision that was made", so my half asleep self fumbled around with my laptop trying to access the decision letter as fast as I could! Once I finally saw that I was accepted, I texted my boyfriend "OMG", and he replied "...what?? You got in, didn't you?" and then I spent the rest of the morning calling/texting my family and close friends to tell them. Then I had to sit through my three hour class, which was kind of a buzz kill, LOL. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was relaxing at my boyfriend's place when I got the call! I was super excited, and he started dancing around when I started thanking my POI for the acceptance. I called a bunch of my friends and family, and while I did, he ran out to grab cookie dough and flowers so that we could bake cookies and watch a movie. Best night ever!

4 hours ago, ilobebrains said:

I was relaxing at my boyfriend's place when I got the call! I was super excited, and he started dancing around when I started thanking my POI for the acceptance. I called a bunch of my friends and family, and while I did, he ran out to grab cookie dough and flowers so that we could bake cookies and watch a movie. Best night ever!

I just wanted to say that this story is adorable and made me smile. 

I was taking a quick pre-interview walk at another program to steady my nerves. I'll say it worked.

I sent my PI a hasty email from my phone, did a quick victory lap around the psychology building (in a full suit and formal shoes), and strolled into my next interview with a big, dumb grin.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:43 AM, TrustingTheProcess said:

I was out at brunch with my boyfriend, his family, and my family when I got the news! The entire restaurant was so confused at why our table suddenly erupted in applause, happy tears, and hugging haha, it couldn't have been more perfect!

Was it a phone call or email 

i was scrolling through social media! i got a call from my poi, i watched it ring because i was too nervous! i called him back and he said you're in! and i danced around my room! i probably sounded out of breath on the phone. but its okay! i hope