"low" GPA acceptances

Has anyone been accepted to programs that have lower GPA's? Around the 3.3 range. I realize this is still a great GPA in general, but many applicants in this field have above a 3.5. Just looking for some motivation/hope. If so, can you share what you feel made you stand out on your application despite a GPA below a 3.5?

Thanks in advance!!

Well, I'm not in speech-language pathology, but I was accepted to one anthropology PhD program (with funding), and waitlisted to two more programs (anthropology and ecology) with a 3.38 GPA. I failed freshman physics one (retook, and passed with an A later), due to a number of health issues and general anger over issues I had with the school when I entered, which really tanked my GPA for the rest of my undergrad. I managed to claw my way back up, and even have honours now (yay!), but the GPA still shows. I really feel that all my other application components really brought it in for me. My SoPs were pretty good, and certainly unique (I have eclectic interests), my LoRs were amazing, and from people I worked closely with, my GREs were decent, and I have a ton of relevant extracurricular experience in volunteering, interning/RA work, and other general interests. I guess just try to really bulk up the rest of your application to make yourself shine. But try and avoid explaining the GPA, or making excuses for the blemishes on your application. In my case, I didn't even have to worry about it, since my transcript clearly shows an upward climb with excellent grades in most of my other courses, but every situation is different...

I had like a 3.1 at the time of application to SLP grad schools, and a D in a very important core CSD course, so don't lose hope. You need to believe in yourself and you need to play up your strengths. Obviously believing in yourself and applying to top 20 ranked schools is not the way to go. Do a lot of research, I spent months doing research on schools, their applicants, what they offer, how I best fit in, etc. Don't be afraid to look far and wide, places and programs you've never heard about. You will find your place and you will be fine. It's 2 years of your life, so if this is what you want to do, you gotta be willing to be flexible. Play up who you are as a person. Don't say the same stuff everyone else does, make yourself stand out. There are schools that care about you as a person, and who you are as an individual rather than if you can sit there memorize textbooks and get a 4.0. I've gotten into 3 schools so far and been waitlisted at 2. You have so much to offer and are more than a number, you just need to find the programs that will value that, because to be honest, a lot won't. But at the end of the day this is a helping profession so its great if you can recite textbooks, but can you interact, help, and better the lives of various peoples -- show that to grad schools. 

I have a 2.98 CGPA and ~3.49 in the field. I've been an SLPA for 3 years along with tons of work experience. In my SOI I talked about my GPA and sort of "explained it". I mentioned my CGPA is from 11 years of going to school part-time and my COMD GPA is from working over 50  hours a week while in school full time. I explained my GPA because I didn't want them to assume anything. I also really explained my passion for this field and that I am fluent in American Sign Langauge. My LORs came from my supervisors in the field and their letters were phenomenal! I would tell you to apply to as many schools as you can and remember ALL YOU NEED IS ONE!

My CSD GPA is a 3.25 and I've been accepted to half the programs I've applied to so far! I did decent on the GRE and I got a shadowing intern job at a hearing and speech clinic to boost up my resume and I think that's pretty much what made me stand out amongst other applicants. If I got in you can get in too

I have a 3.23 undergraduate GPA and have gotten into 6/9 schools with the rest as waitlists (see signature below). It happens! I took 2 gap years and worked the whole time, which I think really helped make my application more favorable. Let me know if you have more questions.

I applied to 10 programs right from undergrad with a GPA below 3.0. Surprise! I didn’t get into any. I worked, volunteered at a hospital SLP department, reapplied to 6 programs, didn’t get into any. I then started a Masters in Special Education, lived at home, worked and saved money. It was a 2 year program and I finished it with a 3.85 gpa. I still had the dream of becoming an SLP but was afraid of reapplying. My parents encouraged me to give it one last shot, so I applied to 3 programs in VA, where I currently live. I only applied to state schools because I wasn’t willing to take on more then $30,000 in debt. Surprise! I was admitted to 1 school and rejected from the other 2 but 1 was all I needed. I believe my LORs, SOP and the fact that I already had a masters helped get me admitted. Good luck?

I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.5 CMD GPA. I looked for newer schools and also applied all over the country. I felt my interview with Rocky Mountain went really well. I also had lots of volunteer experience and a well written personal statement. Lastly, I had three recommendation letters from professors and a SLP that knew me well. Dont lose hope! I also had below average GRE scores and i've been waitlisted at 2 and accepted at 1 school!

I didn't do too great my first year and that pulled my overall gpa down when it was time to apply. I looked for programs that had accepted  lower gpa applicants and some that also looked primarily at your last 60 units, which I had a higher gpa in. As long as you do your research and have many slp related experiences to write about in your personal statement and talk about if there are interviews, then it can happen! I just got my first acceptance after a bunch of rejections and waitlists (see signature) and it was so much more exciting then getting into undergrad. You can do it! 

Hey! So I have a low overall GPA of a 2.83 but my CSD GPA was a 3.67 and last 60 of  3.65. I applied last year to about 15 programs and got declined from all of them and had to take a year off. So over the summer after graduation I retook the 2 CSD classes that gave me C's. Then with my free time I literally was on ASHA looking all summer at each school looking at their requirements for GPA and everything. I also had a ton of clinical experience. Then I retook the GRE test to get a higher writing score of a 4.0. This year I only applied to 9 schools and applied to my dream school and got accepted. Its all about playing your cards right and showing your self of. I bragged about being tri-lingual and my research experience and my experience DONT HOLD BACK! Good luck!

I had a 2.9 overall GPA and CSD GPA. However, I had extenuating circumstances that explained a few of my bad grades during my sophomore year (looking back, I should've taken a leave of absence that semester!) If you have a similar situation, explain in your SoP!!! I believe that has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. I also was able to bring my GPA up to 3.6 for the last 60 hours. I took a year off after undergrad to gain more experience (good for resume and make $$$ for grad school!) and get a feel to see if I actually wanted to continue in the field. I had a low GPA, average GRE scores, but a lot of experience. I've been accepted to one program and waitlisted at the other three. I applied to some obscure and some competitive schools just to see how far my application would go. I really did not think I'd be accepted, but here I am!!! you got this, I believe in you!

I have a 3.19 overall GPA, but around a 3.7 for CSD classes. After undergrad I worked in an ABAclaassroom for 3 years and used coworkers (my supervising SPED teacher, a BCBA, and an SLP) for reference letters. I knew they could speak to my current strengths better than professors from years ago. GRE scores were okay, though writing was lower (3.5) than a lot of schools like. 

I was accepted to three schools and waitlisted at another three. Good luck!!

Congratulations to each of you with your journey! It's so great reading your success stories. Each of you sound so deserving.

A little about me: I have struggled with math and physics. I got an F in pre-calculus my sophomore year so I'm currently retaking it as a second semester junior.. I know that when that grade gets replaced it will surely help my GPA. I got a C in physics but feel OK about that as I think grad schools realize most people struggle with physics, and other historically harder classes like pre-calculus. Besides that, I have mostly A's and A-'s in CSD classes. I am obtaining a diversity studies certificate. I have an intership that isn't CSD related, but is related to helping people and the community and the things I participate in are pretty cool (free meals, fundraising for areas in need, outreach etc.). I volunteer at a special education school during the summer. I work with students who have autism as part of my experience as a student and I have a special needs family member that I plan to touch on in my personal statement. I have not done research. I am hoping to do really well on the GRE and that that, along with my average GPA, will help. I will be applying this coming fall 2019. My current GPA is a 3.365, but with retaking a class and adding to my GPA more after classes this semester and this summer, I hope my GPA will be a 3.4 when applying.

Thank you all again for your words of advice!

Edited by mckennahslp

On 3/21/2019 at 5:12 PM, slptobe! said:

I didn't do too great my first year and that pulled my overall gpa down when it was time to apply. I looked for programs that had accepted  lower gpa applicants and some that also looked primarily at your last 60 units, which I had a higher gpa in. As long as you do your research and have many slp related experiences to write about in your personal statement and talk about if there are interviews, then it can happen! I just got my first acceptance after a bunch of rejections and waitlists (see signature) and it was so much more exciting then getting into undergrad. You can do it! 

Thanks for your advice! I see so many people saying they looked into programs that accepted lower GPA's or "did research," what exactly does this entail? I have looked on ASHA before where it has a GPA range. Are there other places I can look? Or somewhere I can see out of their classes the statistics from them? Sorry for the loaded question. I am just not exactly sure what other research I could be doing or websites/sources I could be using.

Thank you!!

On 3/21/2019 at 12:53 PM, BioCook said:

I have a 3.23 undergraduate GPA and have gotten into 6/9 schools with the rest as waitlists (see signature below). It happens! I took 2 gap years and worked the whole time, which I think really helped make my application more favorable. Let me know if you have more questions.

This is so helpful! Congratulations! I won't be taking time off, but do feel there I have experience that will hopefully stand out. I have an internship that's not SLP related, but certainly different than what they will likely see on other applications. I volunteer as often as possible, especially during the summer. Like you, I will probably apply to around 9 schools to (hopefully) ensure myself a spot. I don't have research experience and likely will not have any by the time I apply. Did you have anything else on your resume that you mentioned that you feel helped, besides working for two years?

Thanks so much! 

On 3/21/2019 at 11:47 AM, slpapplicant19 said:

My CSD GPA is a 3.25 and I've been accepted to half the programs I've applied to so far! I did decent on the GRE and I got a shadowing intern job at a hearing and speech clinic to boost up my resume and I think that's pretty much what made me stand out amongst other applicants. If I got in you can get in too

Congratulations! I hope to be saying the same thing in a year lol. I hope I can do above average on the GRE as well to boost my resume. How did you study? Also, where/how did you find an intern job at a clinic? The only thing I can find to do is shadow. I've searched for a more in depth experience to do this summer, but haven't found anything.

Thank you!!

3 hours ago, mckennahslp said:

Thanks for your advice! I see so many people saying they looked into programs that accepted lower GPA's or "did research," what exactly does this entail? I have looked on ASHA before where it has a GPA range. Are there other places I can look? Or somewhere I can see out of their classes the statistics from them? Sorry for the loaded question. I am just not exactly sure what other research I could be doing or websites/sources I could be using.

Thank you!!

I only know about ASHA EdFind. While you are on the website look pull up California State University, Los Angeles ( my undergrad university) and you will see in 2018 the lowest GPA they accepted was 3.65. Now, look at the University of South Carolina, You will see they accepted someone with a 2.8. Overall, most programs accepted students with lower GPA because they are looking at the whole picture ( GRE, resume, SOL, LOrs) etc) while others ( CSULA) only care about GRE/GPA. I also looked at schools with a higher acceptance rate, 40-60%. 

I didn't do any research in the field before applying. 

52 minutes ago, ChaiTeaSLP said:

I got into CSUN this past year with a CSD gpa of 3.45. My undergrad gpa was like 3.0001. It can be done! 

Really?! I was going to apply and then the last minute I decided not to because of my GPA.  

Congrats!

14 hours ago, Toya said:

I only know about ASHA EdFind. While you are on the website look pull up California State University, Los Angeles ( my undergrad university) and you will see in 2018 the lowest GPA they accepted was 3.65. Now, look at the University of South Carolina, You will see they accepted someone with a 2.8. Overall, most programs accepted students with lower GPA because they are looking at the whole picture ( GRE, resume, SOL, LOrs) etc) while others ( CSULA) only care about GRE/GPA. I also looked at schools with a higher acceptance rate, 40-60%. 

I didn't do any research in the field before applying. 

I am having trouble finding the acceptance rate. I can also see where the GPA range is, but not the lowest accepted GPA's of schools from 2018 for example. Sorry! Are there other pages on ASHA where this information is found? I would like to look at the acceptance rates of the schools I plan to apply to.

26 minutes ago, mckennahslp said:

I am having trouble finding the acceptance rate. I can also see where the GPA range is, but not the lowest accepted GPA's of schools from 2018 for example. Sorry! Are there other pages on ASHA where this information is found? I would like to look at the acceptance rates of the schools I plan to apply to.

If you go on EdFind and look for different schools, all the info. is there! For example, if you search for the University of New Hampshire, there are two programs listed; BA and MS. If you scroll down to the Masters program, past the 'General' section and down to the 'Admissions' section, you can see that the GPA for those offered admission has ranged from 2.94-4.00, and while you can't see the exact acceptance rate, you can calculate it by seeing that 138 people applied and 62 were offered admissions (44%). (The GPA range consists of GPAs from everyone who was offered admissions, so the lowest there is a good place to check!)

I'm skeptical about the accuracy of EdFind myself, as I don't think all of the information there is 100% correct. However, I think it's a good starting point to find out what schools are in your range, and then from there to do research on the websites of those schools specifically. Good luck!

Edited by LaceySpeechie

18 hours ago, mckennahslp said:

Congratulations! I hope to be saying the same thing in a year lol. I hope I can do above average on the GRE as well to boost my resume. How did you study? Also, where/how did you find an intern job at a clinic? The only thing I can find to do is shadow. I've searched for a more in depth experience to do this summer, but haven't found anything.

Thank you!!

Thank you! I used Princeton review online studying for the GRE. It’s a little pricey but I thought it was worth it. It’s self paced and has a bunch of practice tests as well. I got a job a local clinic near me I seriously just walked in and told them what I was looking for. I looked at a couple of places and just got lucky I guess! I also recommend getting good LOR and having people look over your personal statement essays. I have faith that you’ll get in somewhere! 

Hi! this is my second year applying to SLP programs. My GPA is a 3.3 and my CSD GPA is a 3.6...

I applied to 13 schools last year, and got accepted to 2. I realized I wanted to take a Gap year instead of going to grad school right away to better my resume..

I am now teaching english as a second language in Israel for 10 months and i applied to 11 schools this year, and got accepted to 3 and waitlisted at 4 so far. I am still waiting to hear back from the rest!

20 hours ago, mckennahslp said:

Thank you!!

No absolutely, it's not as easy as you would think to be able to find out these answers! For me, because I was a paranoid mess so I probably did overkill, but I went on ASHA Ed find and the schools website also usually says the average stats for the admitted students the past years so you can kind of gage where you're at, if it doesn't then don't hesitate to contact them and ask. I also looked at the results page on here to find stats on who was accepted, waitlisted, and denied (the little red diamonds that you can hover over). I tried to look for programs that had a lower pool of applicants or waitlisted a lot of people because I had a feeling that would be my best bet. Obviously it's not limited to your stats, take the time to curate each personal statement to the school by mentioning the professors you'd like to work with and the specific aspects of the program that make you a good fit.  I hope this helps! One of the reasons I love this profession so much is because I have loved how everyone tries to help each other, it's competitive, but I like to think you have many hidden cheerleaders. :)

Edited by slptobe!

I had a 2.58 undergrad GPA due to a number of issues and I've gotten accepted to 3 places with full funding. I have two years of work experience in my field and I got a 4.0 in my meh masters program. It can be done if you really want it. 

Edit: I know I'm not in SLP but I hope this still gives people hope!

Edited by crackademik