Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

5 hours ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Hi everyone, Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm in need of advice so I'm cross-posting. I recently committed to a Developmental Psychology Ph.D. program and am excited to start. However, I am wrestling with how to tell my new advisor that I have ADHD. It's pretty well-managed, but sometimes I need a little flexibility with taking breaks during work and/or changing up my scenery (i.e. working in the office, at home, at a library) It also means that when I'm stressed out I tend to get emotional. Sometimes, I can cry or get easily frustrated. Again, I have it pretty well-managed, but I feel like it's something I should be disclosing to someone I am going to work so closely with. 

For those of you in a similar situation, or who have gone through a similar situation, I would love some feedback. 

I’d probably recommend going through the school’s Student Disability Services office for an accommodation :) It can be nice to have formal protection in place if that ends up being needed. They can also help mediate that conversation with your advisor potentially. 

Edited by Mbp213