Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Hello!

I am considering deferring for a year to a program (OSU) that does not accept you under a specific advisor. Does anyone have any info about this process or has ever considered/discussed it? I fear that if I ask about it or reach out it could be looked at unfavorably by the faculty, so I'm testing the waters here. 

I'm guessing that if I do defer I wouldn't be able to participate in next year's application cycle, but also don't know if I'm ready to leave by the programs start date (first week of June).

Thoughts? Help? Pls?

Does anyone know if the University of South Dakota has sent out all of the acceptances and wait list positions yet? I know some people were accepted last week but not sure if all of them are out yet.

19 hours ago, naddr said:

Hello!

I am considering deferring for a year to a program (OSU) that does not accept you under a specific advisor. Does anyone have any info about this process or has ever considered/discussed it? I fear that if I ask about it or reach out it could be looked at unfavorably by the faculty, so I'm testing the waters here. 

I'm guessing that if I do defer I wouldn't be able to participate in next year's application cycle, but also don't know if I'm ready to leave by the programs start date (first week of June).

Thoughts? Help? Pls?

As far as I know, deferring for PhD admissions is fairly rare, and not all programs allow it. Do you know for sure that would be an option? 

On 3/3/2020 at 5:27 PM, ThirdWave said:

Not sure if this is the right spot to post, but can anyone give me their opinions of counseling vs clinical programs (area of interest: childhood trauma and the intersection of forensic psych) and, if you know of either program, Carlow vs Chestnut Hill?

Thanks bunches

I've never heard of either of those programs, but your interest sounds more clinical to me (especially the forensic emphasis). There used to be better distinction between the two routes: "The field of clinical psychology was meant to address serious mental illness, such as any of the disorders that might be found in the DSM. In contrast, counseling psychology sometimes was referred to a field that addressed “normal people with normal problems,” often including vocational counseling." The distinction remains somewhat true but is more fuzzy now. My understanding is that clinical programs will have a heavier emphasis on research than counseling programs, and as far as outcomes, clinical people tend to work in academia and research positions more often, and counseling people are less likely to work with severe forms of mental illness when compared to clinical. I also understand there to be a heavier emphasis on multicultural competence in counseling programs when compared to clinical (though both programs are required incorporate diversity training by the APA). As a final comment, I can think of countless clinical psychologists who are involved in forensic work, but I don't know of any counseling psychologists in that area of the top of my head (though I'm sure they exist). You can read more about the distinctions in this guide: http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf (this is where the quote from above came from) and on the APA's division of counseling psychology website https://www.div17.org/

Edited by humanisticPOV
Add more info

If anyone here went to ETSU's interview day and is willing to DM me, please do! Just trying to see who has gotten acceptances on this forum and who is waiting to hear back. I'm in the latter group but am still vaguely holding on hope for good news. :) 

17 hours ago, humanisticPOV said:

I've never heard of either of those programs, but your interest sounds more clinical to me (especially the forensic emphasis). There used to be better distinction between the two routes: "The field of clinical psychology was meant to address serious mental illness, such as any of the disorders that might be found in the DSM. In contrast, counseling psychology sometimes was referred to a field that addressed “normal people with normal problems,” often including vocational counseling." The distinction remains somewhat true but is more fuzzy now. My understanding is that clinical programs will have a heavier emphasis on research than counseling programs, and as far as outcomes, clinical people tend to work in academia and research positions more often, and counseling people are less likely to work with severe forms of mental illness when compared to clinical. I also understand there to be a heavier emphasis on multicultural competence in counseling programs when compared to clinical (though both programs are required incorporate diversity training by the APA). As a final comment, I can think of countless clinical psychologists who are involved in forensic work, but I don't know of any counseling psychologists in that area of the top of my head (though I'm sure they exist). You can read more about the distinctions in this guide: http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf (this is where the quote from above came from) and on the APA's division of counseling psychology website https://www.div17.org/

While some of this stuff is somewhat true. The distinction between the two now is basically the cultural competence aspect and severity of disorders. Research production and ability to be in faculty position now is equal between both counseling and clinical psychology. 

Just now, yikespsych said:

If the person who is holding onto an offer from Texas Tech for PI: KC sees this, please DM me!!!

Lol I feel this with the person holding for JC. STRESSING

If someone opts to hold their admission until April 15th, for whatever reason, what is the official policy for professor's extending offers to those on the waitlist? If you do get an offer ON April 15th, is it just that you essentially have until "midnight" to accept? 

Mainly curious if an offer can be extended after this deadline!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but--

I am currently waitlisted at one school and am trying to formulate a plan B if it doesn't lead to an acceptance. I am currently in two research labs at the university I graduated from but feel I have outgrown my positions there. I was in both for over two years and despite my asking several times was never granted permission to use data from these labs to create a thesis, author a paper, or submit a poster. These two labs are also not in my area of interest and I feel that I need to gain experience with the rare population I am interested in working with (psychosis and Sz). There aren't any labs in my state working with this population though so I am willing to move out of state to gain experience before applying to schools again next cycle. Would it be silly to start new somewhere this summer when I can only really commit 1 year (I know most labs ask for 2)? Would it make more sense to stay where I am and ask again with more assertion? I am worried that my lack of publications and experience working with my pop of interest has really hindered my chances this cycle and these are two things I would love to bump this year. If anyone can offer any words of wisdom or advice, it would be much appreciated.. Thank you so much!

Edit: I have also been working as a psychometrist this past year

Edited by clinicalpsych.2020

12 hours ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but--

I am currently waitlisted at one school and am trying to formulate a plan B if it doesn't lead to an acceptance. I am currently in two research labs at the university I graduated from but feel I have outgrown my positions there. I was in both for over two years and despite my asking several times was never granted permission to use data from these labs to create a thesis, author a paper, or submit a poster. These two labs are also not in my area of interest and I feel that I need to gain experience with the rare population I am interested in working with (psychosis and Sz). There aren't any labs in my state working with this population though so I am willing to move out of state to gain experience before applying to schools again next cycle. Would it be silly to start new somewhere this summer when I can only really commit 1 year (I know most labs ask for 2)? Would it make more sense to stay where I am and ask again with more assertion? I am worried that my lack of publications and experience working with my pop of interest has really hindered my chances this cycle and these are two things I would love to bump this year. If anyone can offer any words of wisdom or advice, it would be much appreciated.. Thank you so much!

Edit: I have also been working as a psychometrist this past year

Honestly I would exercise option 1, being in a lab for over two years and not being able to use data to even submit a poster is pretty unreasonable. Depending on your relationship with your current PI, I would be honest in letting them know your goals and how publishing papers/posters is very important this next year. If they don't offer to help you out, get out of there and try to find a lab that will help you meet your goals. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping you get into a school so you don't even have to worry about this!