Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

3 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

At the interview on Monday I was told I would hear from University of Iowa about their acceptance decision at the end of the week, and just got an email about half and hour ago. I would assume in most cases end of week means Friday, but it could always depend on the program, and there could always be reasons that something doesn't get done until the next week.

Thanks for the feedback. This waiting is beginning to drive me insane, constantly refreshing my email. I hope it was good news for you! 

Just now, Jespo said:

Thanks for the feedback. This waiting is beginning to drive me insane, constantly refreshing my email. I hope it was good news for you! 

It was good news, thank you. I feel you on the craziness and hope you get good news soon, too.

14 hours ago, PsyZei said:

At the interview on Monday I was told I would hear from University of Iowa about their acceptance decision at the end of the week, and just got an email about half and hour ago. I would assume in most cases end of week means Friday, but it could always depend on the program, and there could always be reasons that something doesn't get done until the next week.

I’m guessing/hoping this wasn’t clinical? I haven’t heard anything yet and hadn’t seen anything 

37 minutes ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

I’m guessing/hoping this wasn’t clinical? I haven’t heard anything yet and hadn’t seen anything 

Nope, not Clinical Psychology.

Psychological and Quantitative Foundations, Couple and Family Therapy.

Hope you get good news soon!

41 minutes ago, detectivepikachu said:

Gah you gave me a heart attack! Thought you were talking about clinical! 

Let me know if you get good news about Iowa- I've heard that the CFT and all the Psych tracks are super collaborative and interact a lot ?

Question re: acceptance email and what I should expect in the following steps. I was accepted into a Counseling program via email sent by DCT. She cc’d my PI on the email, stating this PI would be my advisor... now I’m wondering if it’s common for PI’s to email their potential grad students or does it typically work the other direction? I thought I’d hear from her with a congrats email or something but haven’t, so wanted to see what other people’s experiences have been with potential advisors reaching out first.

8 minutes ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

Question re: acceptance email and what I should expect in the following steps. I was accepted into a Counseling program via email sent by DCT. She cc’d my PI on the email, stating this PI would be my advisor... now I’m wondering if it’s common for PI’s to email their potential grad students or does it typically work the other direction? I thought I’d hear from her with a congrats email or something but haven’t, so wanted to see what other people’s experiences have been with potential advisors reaching out first.

I do not know for sure, this is what I am getting from my own experiences.

I think right now everyone is waiting for the dust to settle and see who actually accepts. Only one of the programs have I talked to who would be my mentor (and that's because they were the one to call and let me know about the acceptance) at all the others it's been an email from the program or similar letting me know about the acceptance and that financial info will follow. I have been assuming that the POIs are likely waiting to reach out any further until they know for sure if I'll be attending their program- which won't happen until I find out the financial info and make a final decision (at which point I will be the one reaching out to let them know).

I may be wrong about how this normally works though- this is my second PhD application cycle, but it's my first time with acceptances- so I'm mostly meaning making as a go.

For those of you that are also waitlisted, is there anything to do but wait? Are we supposed to send friendly emails reminding the program and POI we exist??? I'm sure they will let me know if and when a slot opens up, but have anxiety that they might somehow forget about me in the shuffle ? it sucks all I can do is twiddle my thumbs and wait for more time to pass...*sigh*

I really hope the person in front of me for admissions finds their perfect fit and get accepted, both for their future happiness and (selfishly) mine ?

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

For those of you that are also waitlisted, is there anything to do but wait? Are we supposed to send friendly emails reminding the program and POI we exist??? I'm sure they will let me know if and when a slot opens up, but have anxiety that they might somehow forget about me in the shuffle ? it sucks all I can do is twiddle my thumbs and wait for more time to pass...*sigh*

I really hope the person in front of me for admissions finds their perfect fit and get accepted, both for their future happiness and (selfishly) mine ?

I am also waitlisted and the wait is killing me. I got to know from my POI beginning of this month and I plan to email him sometime next month if I don’t here back just to make sure he doesn’t forget me :P I’m in the same boat as you... praying the people before me gets into an even better program ?

Sooo... how long should you wait to hear back? I interviewed at my top choice two weeks ago and it's been radio silence since (which I'm assuming means I've been waitlisted) However, just a few days after the interview I was accepted into another program. I emailed the POI at my top a week later  to provide her an update that while I received another offer I am still eager to hear news from that university. I haven't heard back.

I want to be considerate and make a timely decision here. How long should I wait to hear news from other programs before committing to the offer I have on the table?

1 hour ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Sooo... how long should you wait to hear back? I interviewed at my top choice two weeks ago and it's been radio silence since (which I'm assuming means I've been waitlisted) However, just a few days after the interview I was accepted into another program. I emailed the POI at my top a week later  to provide her an update that while I received another offer I am still eager to hear news from that university. I haven't heard back.

I want to be considerate and make a timely decision here. How long should I wait to hear news from other programs before committing to the offer I have on the table?

I think you should maybe try emailing the DCT of the program. I think it makes sense to wait until you know from your top choices before committing somewhere else. As someone on a waitlist it pains me to say that but keep your options open until they aren’t. 

3 hours ago, psycstudent2018 said:

I would think two weeks is pretty standard though? I feel like I’ve seen a lot of people on the results board who had that much of a gap between interview and acceptance 

12 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

I would think two weeks is pretty standard though? I feel like I’ve seen a lot of people on the results board who had that much of a gap between interview and acceptance 

But also don't panic if it's longer lol. I interviewed at UCONN at the end of January and no one has heard back yet. 

Is it me or did the Counseling Psych program at University of Minnesota just started reviewing applications last Friday, indicated by the disappearance of the option to continue submitting materials and a notice that my application is currently under review? This looks like much later compared their typical timeline, and I'm a bit confused about what's going on :( Anybody else who applied to this program saw the same thing?