Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

General question, has anyone gotten an invite through a 2nd round? Meaning, your PI went through first round invites, all which didn't work out, to then invite you? I have four schools in which I"m in this boat (no rejection, in weird limbo) and I wonder if I should bother holding out any hope. All places tell me it's either going to happen (2nd round invites) or the chance is "low." Just wondering if these elusive 2nd round invites ever actually happen or if I should just move on.

3 hours ago, missfleur said:

General question, has anyone gotten an invite through a 2nd round? Meaning, your PI went through first round invites, all which didn't work out, to then invite you? I have four schools in which I"m in this boat (no rejection, in weird limbo) and I wonder if I should bother holding out any hope. All places tell me it's either going to happen (2nd round invites) or the chance is "low." Just wondering if these elusive 2nd round invites ever actually happen or if I should just move on.

These instances are very rare, unfortunately 

5 hours ago, psychlady22 said:

Has anyone gotten an interview invitation from Spalding University Psy.D? Nobody has posted about it on the admissions results page. Thanks!

I have also heard nothing, but their interview dates were mostly at the end of Feb/first week of March so I am not terribly concerned.. yet lol.

12 hours ago, missfleur said:

hasn't happened to me, but when I was telling the grad students i work with that I thought I was out for a certain school because interview invites had already gone out, they named like 3 people off the top of their head at the program where I work that currently attend grad school there but weren't invited to interview day. they got in because the PI just didn't click with their initial invitees and reached out off their shortlist.  i wouldn't say there is a strong chance (just to be a realist), but it does happen! 

Edited by k0909

16 hours ago, SamJ said:

I still have heard nothing from University of Denver for the PsyD program. I emailed last Tuesday and left a voicemail on Friday. Is it too soon to email again?

Are you looking for information on if you got an interview? If so, don’t email again at all. If you’re getting an interview, they’ll reach out to you and it’ll appear very pushy to inquire this many times regardless. 

Hi everyone! 
I had a question some of you may know the answer to! I have my first interview for my top program this weekend. The lab I am applying to is only accepting 1-2 students. Does anyone know typically how many students are brought in to interview per position? I was told by my POI I made it to the top 5%, but I’m still not sure how many other applicants there will be applying for this lab.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Madpudding said:

Does anyone know when we might hear back from Fordham if we didn't receive an interview invite but indicated that we wanted our application to be considered for their MS in clinical research methods? 

i think this generally happens after offers for PhD have been extended. schools that do this will also usually wait until all the masters applications are in so they can review everyone at once, so it might be relevant if you can see online when masters applications are due or if they have a timeline for the masters program process posted anywhere!

for reference though, boston university (who i applied to last round) also offers you the chance to be considered for the masters. i checked my email and last year i got my rejection notification + invite to masters for them on February 25th, but I didn't need to decide if i wanted to be considered until May 1st.

Edited by k0909

18 hours ago, k0909 said:

i think this generally happens after offers for PhD have been extended. schools that do this will also usually wait until all the masters applications are in so they can review everyone at once, so it might be relevant if you can see online when masters applications are due or if they have a timeline for the masters program process posted anywhere!

for reference though, boston university (who i applied to last round) also offers you the chance to be considered for the masters. i checked my email and last year i got my rejection notification + invite to masters for them on February 25th, but I didn't need to decide if i wanted to be considered until May 1st.

Thank you! It's good to hear that (some) programs give you plenty of time to decide. I was originally worried that I may not hear back about the masters until after the april 15 deadline for PhD programs.

1 hour ago, Psyche1988 said:

Hi! Incase the USC poster sees this.. congratulations on ur acceptance. Was the phone call from your poi? Did they say when the official acceptance mails would be sent?

thanks in advance

Same questions as above. Congratulations on your acceptance!!!

29 minutes ago, impicklerick said:

When you get an acceptance but are still waiting to hear from another school, should you email the acceptance school that you are waiting or not email them at all? 

I personally would email the school and express my excitement for the offer but am waiting to hear back from all schools before making any final decisions.

14 hours ago, foood said:

I personally would email the school and express my excitement for the offer but am waiting to hear back from all schools before making any final decisions.

I’m not sure if I would mention “all my schools.” In past experience, I have heard that holding on to more than one offer at a time is considered taboo, and this may suggest you’re planning on doing that. I would rather just be vague and say you will get back to them with a decision as quickly as you can.