Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

21 hours ago, mandelstic said:

For those of you who have contacted your POI to find out admission status, how have you phrased it?

(crossposted question from clinical interview page)

Not sure if you've gotten an answer yet, but for one of mine I reached out to the grad assistant first by phone to inquire about timeline, and she was the one who encouraged me to reach out to my individual POI. I then said that in my email, mentioned by excitement about the program, and recognized that they were likely busy and stressed but would love some clarity about the admissions timeline

This is likely a dumb question, but how do I read the publications of my PI without paying for it? I'm a recent graduate, so I don't have access to the database I did in undergrad.

3 minutes ago, yeeboi said:

This is likely a dumb question, but how do I read the publications of my PI without paying for it? I'm a recent graduate, so I don't have access to the database I did in undergrad.

You may be able to at a local library, perhaps?  Our local colleges actually let community members use some resources there, too. 

10 minutes ago, yeeboi said:

I went on Google Scholar and kept going through a list of their papers to see which ones were open acces and more recent. I found a few. For others I just read the abstract and hoped for the best

26 minutes ago, yeeboi said:

You need to google sci hub. Y'all need this in your life. At some universities, the online library interface is so horrible that even if I had access I would prefer it over the library.

56 minutes ago, yeeboi said:

Google Scholar! Also try checking out their Research Gate pages (if they have one) or their lab websites to see if they have posted any PDFs of their recent papers there. You could also directly ask them to send you a copy if you're really interested in reading a specific paper. 

25 minutes ago, radicchio said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Oregon? I know this question came up earlier in the month but I don't think anyone has mentioned getting an invite

I reached out to the grad coordinator and this is what she said on 1/8: 

The clinical programs has extended their initial interviews.  As this initial group is small (all of our areas together), there could be additional interviews in February.

For University of Houston-- does anyone know if all invites have been extended? I'm assuming rejection at this point, but I've seen a post in the Results section yesterday saying they received an "unofficial rejection" so I was just curious. Thanks!

I’m curious how much experience other applicants have with big data analysis, advanced modeling, and/or programming in r or python? Especially non clinical and counseling applicants.

7 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

I’m curious how much experience other applicants have with big data analysis, advanced modeling, and/or programming in r or python? Especially non clinical and counseling applicants.

I don't know any really. Mostly just simple SPSS stuff that I've used for my research thus far. 

Hi everyone! So an update for Wayne State:

i emailed someone from the admissions office yesterday to see if all invites have been extended. She responded with: “Invites have started going out, but probably won’t be finalized till next week.”

Fingers crossed and best of luck everyone! :) 

15 minutes ago, Macykid said:

I don't know any really. Mostly just simple SPSS stuff that I've used for my research thus far. 

Same. I've used SPSS for some research and a little bit of MATLAB. That's all.

7 minutes ago, Haybay0204 said:

Same. I've used SPSS for some research and a little bit of MATLAB. That's all.

The PI I'm interviewing with today has very similar interests to mine, but also has a focus on advanced statistical modeling as part of her work. But I don't know if that's something she wants grad students to be familiar with, or if she has hired a stats person as part of her grants. Oh my! 

2 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

The PI I'm interviewing with today has very similar interests to mine, but also has a focus on advanced statistical modeling as part of her work. But I don't know if that's something she wants grad students to be familiar with, or if she has hired a stats person as part of her grants. Oh my! 

I'm sure that you'll be trained in it. They expect you to be wanting to learn not to be a pro. At least that's what I've been told by my advisors. 

1 minute ago, Macykid said:

I'm sure that you'll be trained in it. They expect you to be wanting to learn not to be a pro. At least that's what I've been told by my advisors. 

Thanks for the sanity check :D

Has anyone heard anything from Rutgers? Someone posted that they were informed all invites have been sent but I haven't seen anyone post about them here. If you have been contacted and feel comfortable PMing me I would really appreciate it!