Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Sorry if this has been posted before, but when given the chance to stay with a graduate student or a hotel, is the former better than the latter? I'd like to get to know the current students, but I also know that I'll have a chance to do so during interview day. Also, I think I'd be more comfortable staying at a hotel the night before to get my bearings together. But I don't want to look unfriendly by declining a place to stay.

(Yes, I'm very aware I'm thinking too much about this)

5 minutes ago, yeeboi said:

Sorry if this has been posted before, but when given the chance to stay with a graduate student or a hotel, is the former better than the latter? I'd like to get to know the current students, but I also know that I'll have a chance to do so during interview day. Also, I think I'd be more comfortable staying at a hotel the night before to get my bearings together. But I don't want to look unfriendly by declining a place to stay.

(Yes, I'm very aware I'm thinking too much about this)

It’s typically more advantageous to take the offer to room with a current student, if you think you’ll still be in a social mood after all the interview day events. You’ll have the advantage of getting to ask more specific questions about graduate school life in the program, and an extra opportunity to “butter up” a current student who’s mentored under your prospective advisor (advisors typically ask current students about their opinion of the applicants).

If you really don’t think you’ll be able to keep up a social/friendly attitude after a long day of interview events, though, it’d probably be best to opt for the hotel.

Edited by JoePianist

Question - in last year's threads (yes I've been perusing 2019's interview thread, don't judge me) there is mention of the existence of a calendar with interview notification deadlines, interview dates, etc. from CUDCP, but when I try to access the calendar I'm getting an error message. Has anyone else stumbled across this and been able to access it? 

9 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Question - in last year's threads (yes I've been perusing 2019's interview thread, don't judge me) there is mention of the existence of a calendar with interview notification deadlines, interview dates, etc. from CUDCP, but when I try to access the calendar I'm getting an error message. Has anyone else stumbled across this and been able to access it? 

https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

1 minute ago, justacigar said:

Hmm when I click the link it says the site can't be reached, but it might be my work computer. I'll have to try when I get home. Thank you!! ❤️ 

Maybe try another browser? I can open it with Chrome.

13 minutes ago, webbz_world93 said:

Thank you! From what I've seen, it looks like they typically send their invites out later in January, so fingers crossed. Best of luck! :) 

I received an email this morning from the grad coordinator that said they should send out invitations in the next 1-2 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Dreamerrrrr said:

I received an email this morning from the grad coordinator that said they should send out invitations in the next 1-2 weeks. 

Oh thank you! This is a relief. This is one of my top choices, so I was hoping I was still in the running. Thank you, and best of luck!

30 minutes ago, ImAFreudNot said:

For anyone waiting to hear from LSU, I just called them and was told that all of the invites haven't gone out yet and they'll continue sending them, but that we should hear within the next two weeks!!

Wow!! That's cutting it close for a January 31 interview date! (I have another interview that day so I won't be able to attend anyways.)

52 minutes ago, MiddleOfSomeCalibrations said:

Wow!! That's cutting it close for a January 31 interview date! (I have another interview that day so I won't be able to attend anyways.)

Yeah, I totally agree. I think it was one of their undergrad office assistants though, so my assumption is probably they'll go out within the next week. I mostly just wanted to see if all of the invites had gone out haha. 

35 minutes ago, MiddleOfSomeCalibrations said:

Has anyone heard from Rutgers (Clinical PhD), or have any info about when we might hear from them? I'm assuming probably sometime within the next 2 weeks?

Historically it looks like there isn’t a peep from them til around Jan 13-15ish 

So I've been invited to interview at a clinical psychology Ph.D. program on February 7th and I'm trying to prepare for the interview. I've been analyzing all the resources I can find on the school's website but I noticed that they don't have a clinical psych grad student handbook uploaded. Would it be acceptable to email my POI to see if I could have a copy of their handbook sent to me? There's a summary about the program's curriculum on their website but I'd love to know more about the specifics of the program.

15 minutes ago, MadiB said:

So I've been invited to interview at a clinical psychology Ph.D. program on February 7th and I'm trying to prepare for the interview. I've been analyzing all the resources I can find on the school's website but I noticed that they don't have a clinical psych grad student handbook uploaded. Would it be acceptable to email my POI to see if I could have a copy of their handbook sent to me? There's a summary about the program's curriculum on their website but I'd love to know more about the specifics of the program.

Email the grad coordinator. 

27 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Email the grad coordinator. 

22 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

Or the Director of Clinical Training (DCT) - this is perfectly acceptable to ask for.

Thank you both! I kinda figured but wanted to make sure. I’ll probably go ahead and email my POI because he is the director of clinical training! 

Does anyone know whether all of Case Western's interview invites have gone out? I have seen some interviews and some rejections on the results page, but nothing for my POI. But it looks like they typically extend invitations in December. 

1 hour ago, okpsych said:

Does anyone know whether all of Case Western's interview invites have gone out? I have seen some interviews and some rejections on the results page, but nothing for my POI. But it looks like they typically extend invitations in December. 

I’m in the same boat. Haven’t heard anything. Who’s your POI? Mine is AC

9 hours ago, Haybay0204 said:

Has anyone heard from - 

LSU

Mississippi State

University of Southern Mississippi

Texas Tech?

Hey I heard from MSU and USM mid-December, so I think most of the invites have gone out. USM's interview day isn't until February 14th (if you're talking clinical) though so there still might be time!