Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

53 minutes ago, Psych133 said:

FYI - I found out through emailing the program coordinator that the University of Oregon is hoping to send out Clinical Psych PhD interview invites by Jan 10 and their initial interview dates are Jan 31 - Feb 2.

Thank you so much for the update. Been waiting on pins and needles!

1 hour ago, Psych133 said:

FYI - I found out through emailing the program coordinator that the University of Oregon is hoping to send out Clinical Psych PhD interview invites by Jan 10 and their initial interview dates are Jan 31 - Feb 2.

OMG you are a lifesaver! Was debating whether or not to reach out to the coordinator. Totally assumed rejection from that program already. Chances to get in are still super slim, but hey! A sliver of hope! LOL

7 hours ago, Asdfghjkl123 said:

Is anyone under the impression that OSU, Purdue, and Uconn have sent out all their interview invites for clinical? I've seen some people post interviews in the results but not enough for me to think it's over... but of course I'm sure some don't post! Unsure whether to wait it out or start to inquire. 

Ohio State (if that's who you mean) has their interview a week from today, so I assume they've sent them all. 4 days ago UConn said they were "in the process" of inviting people, so unsure. 

So I got the rather unfortunate news today that I need knee surgery....stressing out about when to schedule this, as I still haven't heard from several programs. Hoping the grad cafe can weigh in on whether I should wait until March when interviews are done altogether? Or sneak it in before then, but potentially have to go to at least one (maybe more) on crutches? I don't really care about being uncomfortable, but from a 'presenting your best self' perspective, would it look bad if I showed up to an interview on crutches?

8 minutes ago, applicant17 said:

So I got the rather unfortunate news today that I need knee surgery....stressing out about when to schedule this, as I still haven't heard from several programs. Hoping the grad cafe can weigh in on whether I should wait until March when interviews are done altogether? Or sneak it in before then, but potentially have to go to at least one (maybe more) on crutches? I don't really care about being uncomfortable, but from a 'presenting your best self' perspective, would it look bad if I showed up to an interview on crutches?

Wait until your interviews are all done. Unless you know the interview dates of all of the schools you applied to, it's safer to wait until April if possible. Plenty of schools interview into mid-March. 

Having had knee surgery before, I can assure you the last thing you want to be doing during the first weeks of recovery is preparing for and attending an interview,.

25 minutes ago, penny4urthoughts said:

Wait until your interviews are all done. Unless you know the interview dates of all of the schools you applied to, it's safer to wait until April if possible. Plenty of schools interview into mid-March. 

Having had knee surgery before, I can assure you the last thing you want to be doing during the first weeks of recovery is preparing for and attending an interview,.

Thank you for your input! I know the dates of all interviews except one, and they all land in January/February.

Does it matter whether or not your potential mentor doesn't have tenure yet?

I never see or hear people talking about this when considering applying to clinical psychology programs. I assume it's because most professors who are actually accepting students are the professors who don't yet have tenure? My dad is a professor in a totally different field and keeps mentioning how risky it would be to have a mentor without the security of tenure, but the majority of the professors I applied to work under don't have tenure. Any thoughts on this?

18 minutes ago, patricia25 said:

I never see or hear people talking about this when considering applying to clinical psychology programs. I assume it's because most professors who are actually accepting students are the professors who don't yet have tenure? My dad is a professor in a totally different field and keeps mentioning how risky it would be to have a mentor without the security of tenure, but the majority of the professors I applied to work under don't have tenure. Any thoughts on this?

Most of mine also don't have tenure because I'm interested in a new field of research which is mainly done by the new wave of professors. Nobody has ever said anything about being cautious about it. If that professor is your source of funding I would be worried. If the program is funding you it's fine. 

18 hours ago, aaronburrsir said:

Hi all! Does anyone know is Ohio University has sent out all of their invites yet? 

I called last week and was told that the first round of Ohio University's clinical invites have been sent out and they're not sure if there will be more.. Seemed to me like we can cross it off ?

On 1/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, patricia25 said:

I asked this question of several people when I was interviewing last year and here is my summary of the advice I was given plus the my experience as a 1st year student. 

It's something to consider. The biggest potential risk IMO is that they will not stay at the institution long-term. I've seen two friends (not in my program) deal with their advisor leaving the university. In an ideal situation, you'd be given the option to stay in the program with a new advisor or follow the original advisor to their new university. However, if the advisor is leaving academia completely and/or if there isn't a suitable replacement advisor in your program, you'd kind of be out-of-luck. 

Otherwise, you just want to explore the same questions/issues that you would with any advisor. Do they have funding? Do they expect you to get your own funding for your research projects? How open are they to you pursuing different topics of research or collaborating with other faculty? How productive do they expect you to be with publications? Do they expect you to work in the lab doing things like data collection or other admin-type stuff? Have they had graduate students before and if so, how are they doing? Are they going to be micromanagers or inaccessible? All of these things could be impacted by them not having tenure, but they're issues that should be considered with any potential advisor. 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:06 PM, PsychHuman said:

Hi! Would the George Washington University (GWU) poster please DM me your POI? Thanks and congrats!

Me too please. Thanks and good luck!

Hi guys!

I just graduated from undergrad this past year so this is my first year applying to PhD programs. I am looking to attend a PhD program in Counseling Psychology. Because I have never interviewed for a PhD program, I was wondering if you guys had any personal tips on how I can prepare? I have my first interview end of January so just wanted to know what to expect/certain questions.

They also have a group interview portion during the interview day so I was wondering if anyone had experience with this and what I can expect. I am most nervous about this part because I feel like I will be in a group with individuals that have way more experience than I do.

Thanks!!