Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

12 hours ago, eve13 said:

on the website it says something about letting applicants know by mid-December....

And there's info on the results page from an applicant from last year who reached out when they hadn't heard anything and the person in admissions told them that they try to send out all invitations before Christmas. I'm not sure how much weight that holds, but that's the loose timeline I've been following. 

Looking for advice: 

If offered the option between two interview dates, and either would work well, would you recommend choosing the first or second date? I'm unsure whether it's best to aim for primacy or recency, haha. 

11 minutes ago, fixology said:

Looking for advice: 

If offered the option between two interview dates, and either would work well, would you recommend choosing the first or second date? I'm unsure whether it's best to aim for primacy or recency, haha. 

I think you are overthinking it, it doesn't matter when you choose to interview. They won't make their decisions based on who was there first or last, just choose whatever works best for you. Or, if you are still waiting to hear from schools that have interview dates on one of the same weekends, choose the opposite weekend

For those of you who have already had a preliminary interview - what types of questions were asked and how would you recommend preparing considering there will still be a real in-person interview if it goes well? I'm trying to prep for one I have this week and have a hard time determining what preparation is 'enough' for a 15-30 minute telephone conversation (vs. the level of prep I would do for a full-day in-person interview).

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, penny4urthoughts said:

For those of you who have already had a preliminary interview - what types of questions were asked and how would you recommend preparing considering there will still be a real in-person interview if it goes well? I'm trying to prep for one I have this week and have a hard time determining what preparation is 'enough' for a 15-30 minute telephone conversation (vs. the level of prep I would do for a full-day in-person interview).

Thanks!

Hi,

I definitely do not have as much experience/knowledge as a lot of people on this thread (this is my first time applying to Clinical Psyc programs and I've had 1 prelim phone interview so far). However, I figured I would share my experience since it might be helpful. 

For my prelim phone interview, my POI started the interview with "this is an informal style interview... do you have any qs for us?" I'm sure this varies widely for phone interviews, but most of my phone call was based largely on my own qs, which guided the interview. I would highly recommend prepping a word doc of qs to ask during the phone interview. Your POI will likely ask if you have any qs, and it's important that you ask qs to show that you are interested in their program and have done your research. Mitch Prinstein's guide has some excellent interview qs that are useful http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf

It also helps to touch up on your CV and to be able to explain your research interests and how they relate to/ have prepared you for grad school and your POI(s) interests. Have an elevator speech prepped about your research + interests and possibly look up some interview qs on Google to help yourself prepare. These are the things that helped me!   

6 hours ago, mcolby16 said:

Just saw on the results page University of Kentucky sent out a few counseling decisions today. Think that means clinical psychology is soon too? 

That’s what I was thinking too! Fingers crossed we hear soon. 

Hi all,

When a PI signs off their email with their first name rather than Dr. Lastname, does that mean you should address them by their first name? I’m inclined to go with Dr. Lastname, but I also don’t want to be too “formal” if they prefer going by their first name.

Edited by doingmybest

i have seen posts about sending thank you emails after interviews, what about after preliminary phone/skype interviews? is it good to send a thank you after those as well? thanks!

Edited by kf0909

On 12/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, penny4urthoughts said:

Thanks!

I've had a few so far for clinical. Here are a few questions: 

Describe your research experiences (various details on involvement)

Describe a project you would conduct with unlimited funds.

What are your career goals?

What are your research interests? 

Why X school? 

10 hours ago, doingmybest said:

Hi all,

When a PI signs off their email with their first name rather than Dr. Lastname, does that mean you should address them by their first name? I’m inclined to go with Dr. Lastname, but I also don’t want to be too “formal” if they prefer going by their first name.

I've wondered this too! My best guess would be to keep doing "Dr. Lastname" until the interview, and if they tell you in person to go by their first name there, then start using their first name. I think it's worse to come off as presumptuous than a bit formal. 

30 minutes ago, kf0909 said:

i have seen posts about sending thank you emails after interviews, what about after preliminary phone/skype interviews? is it good to send a thank you after those as well?

I sent a real quick and simple one along the lines of "thank you for the opportunity to meet and chat with you about your lab and the program. looking forward to hearing back."

33 minutes ago, kf0909 said:

i have seen posts about sending thank you emails after interviews, what about after preliminary phone/skype interviews? is it good to send a thank you after those as well? thanks!

I did after my Skype interview! I mainly wanted to assure the PI that I was still interested after speaking with them. My POI mentioned during the call that if I was no longer interested in the research lab to let her know, so instead I made sure to let her know that I still was interested and thanked her for her time.