Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

11 hours ago, Kaya_F said:

Hi friends!

New to the forum - need notifications to keep me sane waiting to hear from schools!

I only applied to 

- San diego state (SDSU) / USD joint PhD program Clinical Psych

-  UCLA PhD Clinical Psych

- USC PhD Clinical Psych

UCLA is still showing that my subject test scores haven't been received, and the SDSU portal hasn't confirmed receiving official transcripts or any GRE scores

Also, I submitted my UCLA app on time but it took a day or 2 to process, so now I'm freaking out because it says submitted Dec 2....probably overreacting, im sure if I was late they wouldn't have let me submit it.... ?

Stats:

- Graduate Masters of Science in cellular and molecular medical research: GPA 3.8

- Undergraduate honors bachelor of science specializing in psychology: GPA 3.6 (upper years GPA 3.8)

- 1 co-author publication this year, 2 abstracts published, 10+ conferences poster presentations, 2 international poster presentations, 3 years of clinical work, 3 years of research experience

- GRE: V 165 / Q 161 / 5.5; Psych 710

You have very good stats, but you’ve honestly narrowed your odds of admission tremendously by applying to just three (extremely competitive) programs in an already competitive field. Those California programs in particular usually accept 3-5 students/year out of 500+ applicants each – in other words, roughly 1% of applicants will receive an admissions offer to one of those programs. This isn’t meant to add more anxiety, but I’m just trying to give you realistic expectations. 

HI, I posted this in the WAMC thread, but it doesn't seem like it is active anymore. I've just applied. It's an uphill battle with my gpa and quant I suppose, but I wanted to give it a try. Do you guys think I even have shot of getting interviewed?

GPA
Undergrad gpa: 3.029 (had a 2.1 first two years of college, got straight A's last two years, and this is the outcome. I worked really hard and I did mention this change in my personal statement.)
psych major gpa: 4.0
survey research minor gpa: 4.0
Last 60+ credits gpa: 4.0

GRE
161V, 151Q, 4.5AWA
Psych GRE: 700

Posters (15 total):
1st author on 10 (only 2 are local-college level, the rest are international, national, and regional
2nd author on 4 (mix of conference levels)
6th author on 1 (first national conference)

Manuscripts (all in prep- 7 total):
1st author (1), 2nd author (1), 3rd author (3), 5th author (2)
(these 5th authorship ones are in my most recent lab and actually pertain to what I want to do in grad school, whereas the others are not related at all (still psych methods, just different content area). only listed about 5 on my CV- the ones closest to being finished 

Research Experience (total 3 years):
Lab A:

3 years (1 as an RA, 1 as Lab manager, 1 as post-grad researcher(concurrent with time at Lab B))
I did everything here: IRBs, hiring, new study design, data collection/cleaning, posters, manuscripts etc.........the post grad position is now, and is remote work where i basically consult on studies I started and write papers.
Not the content area I wish to research in grad school
During lab manager year I was also an NSF REU fellow in this lab

Lab B:
1 year (full-time job as an RA post graduating- current position)
Collect data (eeg, neuropsych, interviews), recruit, consent etc. help with lit reviews for manuscripts in research content area I am interested in.
Actual Lab focus is not on content area of interest.

3rd experience:
I was in an advanced survey research practicum class and conducted a study through the irb. Went on to present findings (lack there of lol) at a college conference. Teacher is now deceased so no letter. I was only student to go through irb.

Recommendation Letters (total 3):
1. Lab A: Excellent (from PI)
2. Lab B: Excellent (from famous? PI/lab)
3. Professor - I took one class with him but we did speak about research etc. and he said he is happy to write me a good one. 
Clinical Experience:
6 month internship with a clinical population of no interest to me personally but it was a good experience and helped rule out a pop.

Edited by Kris123

On 12/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, justacigar said:

Hair wise, you should definitely be able to find an updo that looks professional! Only cut your hair if you want to. 

Re: attire, the only advice I've ever heard across platforms and mentors is a full suit, though depending on where you interview a skirt might be out of the question for weather reasons! People also do slacks with a blazer and nice shirt. But don't be afraid to let your personality shine through, I'm planning to get a nice patterned shirt for under my suit if I get an interview. I've also heard having a cool, unique piece of jewelry or awesome shoes can help you stand out just enough

You can never go wrong with a dark suit. My advice is to not use your appearance to stand out - you never know what will make you "stand out" for the wrong reasons while interviewing. I would keep things basic and not too flashy.

50 minutes ago, DrApple said:

You can never go wrong with a dark suit. My advice is to not use your appearance to stand out - you never know what will make you "stand out" for the wrong reasons while interviewing. I would keep things basic and not too flashy.

From what I've heard from people who interview students, it is helpful if you have a stand out piece of clothing for people to remember you by. I certainly don't mean a neon yellow pantsuit, but a nice pop of color somewhere can let professors (mainly who aren't your PI of interest) who speak with you out of maybe 20 others that day say "Ah! Pink necklace girl. I liked her!" rather than "mmm I don't remember her." Some places take head shots to help them remember who was who during discussions post-interview, but not all, so something else identifiable can help! 

Edited by penguinqueen

3 hours ago, Kris123 said:

HI, I posted this in the WAMC thread, but it doesn't seem like it is active anymore. I've just applied. It's an uphill battle with my gpa and quant I suppose, but I wanted to give it a try. Do you guys think I even have shot of getting interviewed?

GPA
Undergrad gpa: 3.029 (had a 2.1 first two years of college, got straight A's last two years, and this is the outcome. I worked really hard and I did mention this change in my personal statement.)
psych major gpa: 4.0
survey research minor gpa: 4.0
Last 60+ credits gpa: 4.0

GRE
161V, 151Q, 4.5AWA
Psych GRE: 700

Posters (15 total):
1st author on 10 (only 2 are local-college level, the rest are international, national, and regional
2nd author on 4 (mix of conference levels)
6th author on 1 (first national conference)

Manuscripts (all in prep- 7 total):
1st author (1), 2nd author (1), 3rd author (3), 5th author (2)
(these 5th authorship ones are in my most recent lab and actually pertain to what I want to do in grad school, whereas the others are not related at all (still psych methods, just different content area). only listed about 5 on my CV- the ones closest to being finished 

Research Experience (total 3 years):
Lab A:

3 years (1 as an RA, 1 as Lab manager, 1 as post-grad researcher(concurrent with time at Lab B))
I did everything here: IRBs, hiring, new study design, data collection/cleaning, posters, manuscripts etc.........the post grad position is now, and is remote work where i basically consult on studies I started and write papers.
Not the content area I wish to research in grad school
During lab manager year I was also an NSF REU fellow in this lab

Lab B:
1 year (full-time job as an RA post graduating- current position)
Collect data (eeg, neuropsych, interviews), recruit, consent etc. help with lit reviews for manuscripts in research content area I am interested in.
Actual Lab focus is not on content area of interest.

3rd experience:
I was in an advanced survey research practicum class and conducted a study through the irb. Went on to present findings (lack there of lol) at a college conference. Teacher is now deceased so no letter. I was only student to go through irb.

Recommendation Letters (total 3):
1. Lab A: Excellent (from PI)
2. Lab B: Excellent (from famous? PI/lab)
3. Professor - I took one class with him but we did speak about research etc. and he said he is happy to write me a good one. 
Clinical Experience:
6 month internship with a clinical population of no interest to me personally but it was a good experience and helped rule out a pop.

Wow, yeah I'd say you have a good shot. Please excuse me while I go work to build my CV a bit more lol!

1 hour ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Hi all,

Question - Do y'all bring updated CV's to interviews? I've added a few things to mine since I've submitted.

I would say yes if it's things like having a paper or poster submitted or accepted, or a new position, but no if it's a bullet point added to a job description or something else small. Only do it if the changes are something you really want to draw attention to is my suggestion! ?

1 hour ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Hi all,

Question - Do y'all bring updated CV's to interviews? I've added a few things to mine since I've submitted.

Yes. It's good to bring 5-6 copies to give to people you talk with. Some people, like me as a grad student in my lab, never actually see any of your app materials (this may just be how my lab does things). It's helpful to have in case people might want it. 

Edited by Clinapp2017

3 hours ago, penguinqueen said:

From what I've heard from people who interview students, it is helpful if you have a stand out piece of clothing for people to remember you by. I certainly don't mean a neon yellow pantsuit, but a nice pop of color somewhere can let professors (mainly who aren't your PI of interest) who speak with you out of maybe 20 others that day say "Ah! Pink necklace girl. I liked her!" rather than "mmm I don't remember her." Some places take head shots to help them remember who was who during discussions post-interview, but not all, so something else identifiable can help! 

This can also backfire. We had "bright colored sock guy" and "big necklace pearl" girl as weird people who interviewed in our program a few years back. To be fair, they did a LOT of negative things that made them stick out in a bad way. 

3 hours ago, penguinqueen said:

I would say yes if it's things like having a paper or poster submitted or accepted, or a new position, but no if it's a bullet point added to a job description or something else small. Only do it if the changes are something you really want to draw attention to is my suggestion! ?

I'm planning to submit a new poster. I won't hear back by interviews if it's accepted though.

I also recently started a position as a grant reviewer. 

15 minutes ago, psycstudent2018 said:

I'm planning to submit a new poster. I won't hear back by interviews if it's accepted though.

I also recently started a position as a grant reviewer. 

I also should have clarified in my last post, I think it's a great idea to have some on hand if people ask for them at interviews for sure! Whether or not you go out of your way to hand out a new CV should be more dependent on if big things have changed. Which for you, it sounds like they have! I would give them a copy and mention the new position and poster. Congrats! 

2 hours ago, Macykid said:

I've received an interview at Texas Tech for Counseling. Any questions feel free to reach out! Good luck y'all!

Not applying to Texas, but just curious who your POI is at Albany? Edit: Oh and also Clark! Mine are AP and EC respectively.

Edited by Ppkitty

Hi, sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere else in the thread, but this is my first time with preliminary interviews (via phone or skype). Is it typical to get an in-person interview after or is it more of another weeding out procedure (like 20 phone interviews, 3 invited to in-person interview)?

Just now, hermm said:

Hi, sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere else in the thread, but this is my first time with preliminary interviews (via phone or skype). Is it typical to get an in-person interview after or is it more of another weeding out procedure (like 20 phone interviews, 3 invited to in-person interview)?

Hasn't been answered yet and great question. Also would love an answer to this because I have a preliminary interview this week.