Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

27 minutes ago, rainydaychai said:

I do! :) Weirdly enough, all of my research experience over the past four years has been forensic - but I was lucky to attend an undergrad institution with a heavy forensic area within their psychology department. I'm currently working as a post-bacc research coordinator at a forensic psychiatric hospital under a different PI, too. 

Wow you are so lucky to have had those experiences so far I wish I could say the same! Unfortunately, I did not realize my interest in pursuing clinical psychology vs. forensic psychiatry until after I graduated from undergrad so I haven't as much time to immerse myself in forensic experiences. Which school would you say is your top choice? 

16 minutes ago, Frued's Cat said:

Wow you are so lucky to have had those experiences so far I wish I could say the same! Unfortunately, I did not realize my interest in pursuing clinical psychology vs. forensic psychiatry until after I graduated from undergrad so I haven't as much time to immerse myself in forensic experiences. Which school would you say is your top choice? 

Yes, I didn't quite know what career path I wanted to follow when I started undergrad so it was extremely fortuitous that I attended a university like that! I understand that it can be difficult to find forensic-specific research experience, depending on your location. This is my second time applying and I got my heart set on my top choice last year and was first alternate but didn't get in, so I've been consciously not putting all my eggs in one basket this year. The research fit with a faculty member at the University of Nebraska is still spot-on, though, but I would be happy at most of the places I've applied! What about you?

42 minutes ago, PsychedAboutPsych121 said:

Should I be worried that people are already getting emails for phone interviews only a couple days after the dec. 1st deadline? 

Definitely not. Even between POI's at the same school the process can vary. I'd say the norm is mid to late December or January. Don't stress just yet!

1 hour ago, Frued's Cat said:

I think John Jay is probably my top choice I think I read in another post by you or maybe it was someone else who said they are interested in sex offender research which is one of the main reasons I applied there! It's cool to know that there are other people out there interested in this topic and willing to research even though it is a heavy subject.  Do the other schools you applied to have forensic programs because the only school we have in common is John Jay? 

Edited by Frued's Cat

As they come upon us soon, does anyone have tips for how to dress for an interview (especially for women)? 

I've heard that you can't go wrong with a well fitted skirt suit on one hand and then on the other hand that you should never wear any sort of full suit because you'll be overdressed. 

And hair: I have waist-length hair. Healthy and shiny, but not professional, nor are my typical messy braid or bun looks. Should I chop it or go for an updo?

1 minute ago, Modulus said:

As they come upon us soon, does anyone have tips for how to dress for an interview (especially for women)? 

I've heard that you can't go wrong with a well fitted skirt suit on one hand and then on the other hand that you should never wear any sort of full suit because you'll be overdressed. 

And hair: I have waist-length hair. Healthy and shiny, but not professional, nor are my typical messy braid or bun looks. Should I chop it or go for an updo?

I honestly think you should present yourself as naturally as possible. Be you. I know I'm going to do that, yeah I'm a guy, but catch me wearing my earrings with my suits with colorful patterns. I think being you is the best you can do. Stand out. 

1 hour ago, Modulus said:

Definitely do not cut your hair unless it’s a personal decision. I haven’t had long hair in years but I’m partial to low pony tails. They’re easy and I think they look very professional 

Edited by Schy

1 hour ago, Modulus said:

Hair wise, you should definitely be able to find an updo that looks professional! Only cut your hair if you want to. 

Re: attire, the only advice I've ever heard across platforms and mentors is a full suit, though depending on where you interview a skirt might be out of the question for weather reasons! People also do slacks with a blazer and nice shirt. But don't be afraid to let your personality shine through, I'm planning to get a nice patterned shirt for under my suit if I get an interview. I've also heard having a cool, unique piece of jewelry or awesome shoes can help you stand out just enough

Hello all! I realize I'm very late to the party but a clinical psych grad student told me about this website and I wish I would've known about it sooner! So far half of my apps are done and for the apps that aren't, I'm doing finishing touches on my personal statements and waiting to get paid so that I can pay the application fees (the next due date is December 10th - Univ of IL - Urbana-Champaign). This is my first time applying and honestly, this process has been a little nerve-wracking. I won't be too surprised if I don't get admitted into any clinical Ph.D. programs this year since these programs are crazy competitive. But I'm applying to a few Master's programs as back-ups, otherwise I'll try to look into obtaining a full-time research coordinator position to gain more experience before applying again. Anyone else applying to the same schools? Is anyone else applying to Master's programs as back-up? 

4 hours ago, Modulus said:

Definitely wear a suit (whether dress, skirt, or pants is up to you). If you are applying to clinical/counseling programs, it is unlikely you will be overdressed. On the off chance you are, it is better to be overdressed in a full suit rather than be underdressed. Also, I would probably just do a simple ponytail. 

15 hours ago, MadiB said:

Hello all! I realize I'm very late to the party but a clinical psych grad student told me about this website and I wish I would've known about it sooner! So far half of my apps are done and for the apps that aren't, I'm doing finishing touches on my personal statements and waiting to get paid so that I can pay the application fees (the next due date is December 10th - Univ of IL - Urbana-Champaign). This is my first time applying and honestly, this process has been a little nerve-wracking. I won't be too surprised if I don't get admitted into any clinical Ph.D. programs this year since these programs are crazy competitive. But I'm applying to a few Master's programs as back-ups, otherwise I'll try to look into obtaining a full-time research coordinator position to gain more experience before applying again. Anyone else applying to the same schools? Is anyone else applying to Master's programs as back-up? 

Take this with a grain of salt as it's my personal opinion, but if a PhD is your long-term goal, I don't know that I would waste time and money getting a master's degree. I would instead get a full-time research gig and focus on beefing up your application. I got a master's in clinical psychology before realizing I actually wanted and needed a PhD to do the things I wanted to career-wise, and I'll be paying for those MS loans for quite a while. At the end of the day, it's a personal decision, but to me the options are getting paid to do more research or paying to get a degree and do research. 

33 minutes ago, justacigar said:

At the end of the day, it's a personal decision, but to me the options are getting paid to do more research or paying to get a degree and do research. 

oh this put things into perspective for me ahahaha

last year I skipped out on applying to masters because I wanted to save money and who wants to be in debt????, but this year i just feel so desperate to be back in school and I've been feeling like a masters is my only option to remove this feeling of being stuck in limbo if I don't get into a PhD program, however....that probably isn't the case and you reminded me of that!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Schy said:

oh this put things into perspective for me ahahaha

last year I skipped out on applying to masters because I wanted to save money and who wants to be in debt????, but this year i just feel so desperate to be back in school and I've been feeling like a masters is my only option to remove this feeling of being stuck in limbo if I don't get into a PhD program, however....that probably isn't the case and you reminded me of that!!!!!!!!!!

There are benefits and options to attaining your Master's degree debt free. If youre undergrad gpa is low a masters might even help show an upward trajectory in grades. Plus your master's courses may waive some doctoral classes. It might not be the best choice for everyone but it is a valid choice. Look into programs that will pay for a masters such as NIH NSF funded programs (RISE, MBRS, etc) they provide a stipend and cover tuition similar to a phd but for masters. Good luck on your applications!!

6 hours ago, Lolo2627 said:

There are benefits and options to attaining your Master's degree debt free. If youre undergrad gpa is low a masters might even help show an upward trajectory in grades. Plus your master's courses may waive some doctoral classes. It might not be the best choice for everyone but it is a valid choice. Look into programs that will pay for a masters such as NIH NSF funded programs (RISE, MBRS, etc) they provide a stipend and cover tuition similar to a phd but for masters. Good luck on your applications!!

There are definitely benefits!!! I’m fortunate where I don’t have to worry about my GPA but I do know it could potentially mean more experience overall!! I’m definitely going to look into these programs! Thank you!!

3 hours ago, Schy said:

There are definitely benefits!!! I’m fortunate where I don’t have to worry about my GPA but I do know it could potentially mean more experience overall!! I’m definitely going to look into these programs! Thank you!!

I would agree! I think with the competitiveness of graduate programs currently, many of the people you're applying against will have Master's degrees. And as long as you do well, it serves as a good indicator that you can be successful in a rigorous academic program while conducting research. It's also a great opportunity to make sure the PhD you're headed for is actually the field you want to be in. But I got a Masters so I may be biased. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 hours ago, penguinqueen said:

I would agree! I think with the competitiveness of graduate programs currently, many of the people you're applying against will have Master's degrees. And as long as you do well, it serves as a good indicator that you can be successful in a rigorous academic program while conducting research. It's also a great opportunity to make sure the PhD you're headed for is actually the field you want to be in. But I got a Masters so I may be biased. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also have a master's degree - getting a master's was my back up when I first applied for PhD's as well. I think it is important to take into consideration that there are a lot of applicants that will have master's degrees, that's a great point. 

Personally, getting a MA was a great choice for me. I ended up getting into a MA program at an Ivy League school - which I'm *hoping* will look good on my apps. I have gained so much experience - both clinical and research through my program that I know I could not have gotten if I wasn't in the program. HOWEVER - you can also gain a lot of great experience by getting a paid RA position if you can find one. I think either would be a good option!

18 hours ago, Schy said:

Lots of great points about master's degrees! It all comes down to personal preference and career goals. I had a master's my first round and it really didn't help my application at all, but it was a clinical degree, not a research degree. Many applicants spend their time doing a post-bac or other full-time research gig and that makes them more competitive. All this to say, there are many paths to the same goal! And I don't think there is one answer better than the others.

3 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Anyone else having wild dreams about applications?? I had a crazy one last night that my top choice POI showed me her list of applicants she was considering at some restaurant we both happened to be at (lol) and I was number 1...and then I woke up ?

I had the opposite, had a dream I didn't get a single interview and had to tell my fiancee that we were not going to get to move anywhere.