Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

39 minutes ago, bri j. said:

Anyone else still waiting on an LOR? Most of my deadlines are Dec 1st, which is exactly a week from now, and I'm waiting on my 3rd letter writer to submit hers (she's probably gonna be my strongest, too). I'm just super worried because Thanksgiving is on Thursday and the deadline is on Sunday, so she might end up forgetting in the midst of holiday stuff. And if she does end up forgetting, it's on a Sunday and I have absolutely no opportunity to frantically remind her in person...

I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed, and hope that she submits them on time! It's so unfortunate that the deadline had to be on a weekend!

Yes. I’m in a similar boat. Luckily it’s my 4th reference on 4 apps. I’m not sure if I will need to remove the recommender to make these register complete. It’s my strongest recommendation as well so I hope it gets submitted. I sent reminders today. 

2 hours ago, bri j. said:

Anyone else still waiting on an LOR? Most of my deadlines are Dec 1st, which is exactly a week from now, and I'm waiting on my 3rd letter writer to submit hers (she's probably gonna be my strongest, too). I'm just super worried because Thanksgiving is on Thursday and the deadline is on Sunday, so she might end up forgetting in the midst of holiday stuff. And if she does end up forgetting, it's on a Sunday and I have absolutely no opportunity to frantically remind her in person...

I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed, and hope that she submits them on time! It's so unfortunate that the deadline had to be on a weekend!

I am!  I wouldn't stress, but personally I'll be sending a reminder on Tuesday or Wednesday if my last reference hasn't submitted anything by then. No harm in sending polite reminders for something as important as this.

34 minutes ago, springxsummer said:

I am!  I wouldn't stress, but personally I'll be sending a reminder on Tuesday or Wednesday if my last reference hasn't submitted anything by then. No harm in sending polite reminders for something as important as this.

My concern is that they may not work much this week. The recommendation write up could be on their office computer. 

10 hours ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

My concern is that they may not work much this week. The recommendation write up could be on their office computer. 

Totally agree, but we have to remember that profs and researchers are constantly having to finish and submit letters around this same holiday time each year. I have faith that they will get it done! All of mine have asked for reminders leading up to the day of, so it's completely appropriate to keep reminding them. 

23 hours ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

22 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Looks like the psych program specifically considers the GRE "optional." The question remains, is there still an unstated expectation that applicants will include theirs regardless, and will there be bias against those applicants who don't?

In the interest of transparency, I am an applicant to Yale (for a different PI) and I have reported my GRE scores. However, I'm not sure what that means for those who do not.  I would hope that considering their reasoning for making it optional they would not look at this unfavorably.

I have been told by my current mentor/PI that in general he considers GRE scores holistically alongside GPA. Specially, the clinical program at my current institution (lab manager, not student) they have a 2/4 policy where they have "minimums" for GPA, GRE Verbal, GRE Quant, and GRE Psych and applicants who meet at least 2 out of 4 go on for continued, holistic review.

I'd be interested if any other programs anyone knows of have instituted similar policies. Yale and URI were the only two on my list that did not require GRE scores. (And a few were picky about the timeline--within 4 years of intended admission semester.)

19 minutes ago, Modulus said:

In the interest of transparency, I am an applicant to Yale (for a different PI) and I have reported my GRE scores. However, I'm not sure what that means for those who do not.  I would hope that considering their reasoning for making it optional they would not look at this unfavorably.

I have been told by my current mentor/PI that in general he considers GRE scores holistically alongside GPA. Specially, the clinical program at my current institution (lab manager, not student) they have a 2/4 policy where they have "minimums" for GPA, GRE Verbal, GRE Quant, and GRE Psych and applicants who meet at least 2 out of 4 go on for continued, holistic review.

I'd be interested if any other programs anyone knows of have instituted similar policies. Yale and URI were the only two on my list that did not require GRE scores. (And a few were picky about the timeline--within 4 years of intended admission semester.)

I found this article, granted the writer can only attest to the policy at Vanderbilt. However it might shed some light on what Yale is doing. https://vanderbiltbiomedg.com/2019/09/21/is-optional-really-optional-for-submitting-gre-scores/

I've gotta say, hitting that submit button on applications never gets easier or less stressful! All of the "what-ifs" seem to run through my brain at lightspeed. Cheers to being done with application stress, and entering into a whole different stress... waiting to hear about interviews ?? 

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

I've gotta say, hitting that submit button on applications never gets easier or less stressful! All of the "what-ifs" seem to run through my brain at lightspeed. Cheers to being done with application stress, and entering into a whole different stress... waiting to hear about interviews ?? 

Here’s to us!!!!!

So many of my schools now want official transcripts uploaded when their instructions before submission said unofficial it’s impossible to get official transcripts by Sunday. Truly hoping they will accept unofficial for my admissions evaluations. Just when you thought it couldn’t get anymore stressful?

4 hours ago, Macykid said:

So many of my schools now want official transcripts uploaded when their instructions before submission said unofficial it’s impossible to get official transcripts by Sunday. Truly hoping they will accept unofficial for my admissions evaluations. Just when you thought it couldn’t get anymore stressful?

Can you email the graduate coordinator to show her the discrepancies? It would definitely not be fair to hold you to a second, unknowable standard! 

10 hours ago, justacigar said:

Can you email the graduate coordinator to show her the discrepancies? It would definitely not be fair to hold you to a second, unknowable standard! 

Definitely what I have done and hoping it can be remedied. 

3 hours ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

Just saw on the results page that two people received interview offers from the University of Georgia. Anyone here have any information on that?

No but I guess the sleepless nights can start now. 

Has anyone ever successfully emailed back and forth with a POI? Is it actually a big deal? I've been speaking with my top choice on and off for a couple of days and I don't want to put too much stock into it lol. 

14 minutes ago, firsttimeapp said:

For those who applied to UGA can do you mind replying with your PI's initials and whether you have received an interview invitation or not?

I started an interview invite thread so it might be helpful to post this there to keep interview information separate, it could get lost on this post

1 hour ago, Schy said:

Has anyone ever successfully emailed back and forth with a POI? Is it actually a big deal? I've been speaking with my top choice on and off for a couple of days and I don't want to put too much stock into it lol. 

I've emailed back and forth with most of my POIs and had phone calls with two. My understanding is that if they do it with me, they probably do it with other applicants as well, and it likely isn't influencing their decision making much until they see your whole application. I personally wouldn't put much stock into it. 

On 11/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, Mel29 said:

Hi guys!

It’s my first time applying to programs in PhD Clinical Psychology. I will only be applying for schools in Florida (first choices are UM and FIU). I have 2 years of research experience (1 poster but a lot of clinical skills and managing data from several programs). I also conducted a seminar once on a presentation related to my research interests. My GPA is 3.91 and GRE is very very very low. So I’m worried about my GRE not letting me pass the cutoffs. However, I have 3 strong letters of recommendation.

Can I ask how many schools you're applying to? If your GRE scores are low, you may want to consider applying to more or applying outside your state.

4 hours ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

I'd gone through and looked at when they typically inform students of interviews, so I wasn't expecting my heart to be ripped out till December 12th... ?

So they started early this year? I didn’t apply there but my apps were out early this time & I haven’t heard from anyone yet?

13 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

So they started early this year? I didn’t apply there but my apps were out early this time & I haven’t heard from anyone yet?

I didn’t apply either but I just checked and that’s a lot of interview updates?? Also MAYBE I’m paranoid but that seems suspicious so many commentless entries 

3 hours ago, Schy said:

I didn’t apply either but I just checked and that’s a lot of interview updates?? Also MAYBE I’m paranoid but that seems suspicious so many commentless entries 

Agreed, there was like 8 entries! With no extra information. Weird. 

15 hours ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Can I ask how many schools you're applying to? If your GRE scores are low, you may want to consider applying to more or applying outside your state.

I was only able to apply for those 2 actually since I didn’t want to leave my family behind. 

just casually complaining about all the money spent during this application season. ),: 27 dollars to send additional score reports????? 10 dollars to send transcripts from my undergraduate university????? Application fees???????????

I understand the 'reason' behind all of these, but it doesn't make it less sucky LMAO