Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, psy2020 said:

What are some opinions on how personal your personal statement should be..? I have gotten a lot of mixed advice - some professors have told me to have a personal story in the essay, some advise strongly against it. Currently, mine just describes key research and clinical experiences/what I've learned from them/my research interests and how they align with the program and POI.. Thoughts? 

Mine is very personal describing myself as a minority who isn't usually able to even be able to apply to programs like this which has been received by multiple mentors as incredibly persuasive and interesting. I've been advised not to just recite my CV but to humanize myself and include the research interests and clinical experiences. 

15 minutes ago, Macykid said:

Mine is very personal describing myself as a minority who isn't usually able to even be able to apply to programs like this which has been received by multiple mentors as incredibly persuasive and interesting. I've been advised not to just recite my CV but to humanize myself and include the research interests and clinical experiences. 

Thank you for the advice! I'm thinking of adding something personal in the beginning. 

18 minutes ago, psy2020 said:

Thank you for the advice! I'm thinking of adding something personal in the beginning. 

You want to humanize yourself and tell a good story as a hook, but there are some lines to NOT cross. For example, two common red flags are things like "I was severely anxious, so now I want to study psychology" (I.e., the me-search red flag) and "from infancy, I have always been interested in the human mind and behavior" (i.e., SUPER cliche). 

Just be genuine. You can tell a story about your experiences in a cogent way and be personal. For example, I talked about how my grandmother's post-mortem diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (confirmed with pathology) contrasted with her diagnosis while living of another neurocognitive disorder and how that launched my interested into enhancing our understanding of the cognitive and clincial profiles of neurocognitive disorders. 

10 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

You want to humanize yourself and tell a good story as a hook, but there are some lines to NOT cross. For example, two common red flags are things like "I was severely anxious, so now I want to study psychology" (I.e., the me-search red flag) and "from infancy, I have always been interested in the human mind and behavior" (i.e., SUPER cliche). 

Just be genuine. You can tell a story about your experiences in a cogent way and be personal. For example, I talked about how my grandmother's post-mortem diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (confirmed with pathology) contrasted with her diagnosis while living of another neurocognitive disorder and how that launched my interested into enhancing our understanding of the cognitive and clincial profiles of neurocognitive disorders. 

Personally, my mother has OCD and that is what got me interested in psychology... however, I feel that mentioning this may be too much for the statement.. what do you think?

I am worried if I mention something like this programs will think I am just searching for answers as you mentioned... I would plan on writing about it from a behavior perspective, as in I observed her behaviors, learned how to differentiate her symptoms and how to "comfort her"..

Edited by psy2020

3 minutes ago, psy2020 said:

Personally, my mother has OCD and that is what got me interested in psychology... however, I feel that mentioning this may be too much for the statement.. what do you think?

It might be okay. I am happy to offer my opinion via DM if you want me to read a draft. The main thing is to not make your entire life sound like a crusade that may be biased due to personal experiences. However, everyone in the field knows we are human and have experiences, such as personal/family mental health problems. It's just a matter of writing about it well.

Edited by Clinapp2017

Can someone help? For one of the clinical psych grad programs I am applying to, I noticed in the application that there is a box for a "Statement of Interest" (4000 characters max) as well as a box that says "Please tell us about your previous research and how it matches the faculty you have chosen to work with" (2000 characters max). The latter question is already incorporated into my personal statement/statement of interest. Am I perhaps misinterpreting what the "Statement of Interest" should include? Is it totally different from the average PS/LOI? Any insight would be appreciated!

4 hours ago, psy2020 said:

What are some opinions on how personal your personal statement should be..? I have gotten a lot of mixed advice - some professors have told me to have a personal story in the essay, some advise strongly against it. Currently, mine just describes key research and clinical experiences/what I've learned from them/my research interests and how they align with the program and POI.. Thoughts? 

I think it depends on why you want to include a personal story in your SOP, and how relevant it is to your research and clinical experience. If you can use your story to tie your experiences together and provide a cohesive and coherent demonstration of your personal characteristics and motives for pursuing a doctoral degree, adding this story to your SOP will be a plus. But if you decide to do that, make sure it is within a few sentences, and not disclose too much detail of your personal information or anything that is supposed to be confidential. 

A random question: do you typically need to indicate a faculty member to work with when applying to Counseling Psychology PhD programs? The applications I've seen don't require it (or if it does, I don't see it), so I'm a little confused! 

Just now, merpppy said:

A random question: do you typically need to indicate a faculty member to work with when applying to Counseling Psychology PhD programs? The applications I've seen don't require it (or if it does, I don't see it), so I'm a little confused! 

The majority of my programs are counseling and they all require me to indicate faculty members. 

5 hours ago, teenygreeny said:

Can someone help? For one of the clinical psych grad programs I am applying to, I noticed in the application that there is a box for a "Statement of Interest" (4000 characters max) as well as a box that says "Please tell us about your previous research and how it matches the faculty you have chosen to work with" (2000 characters max). The latter question is already incorporated into my personal statement/statement of interest. Am I perhaps misinterpreting what the "Statement of Interest" should include? Is it totally different from the average PS/LOI? Any insight would be appreciated!

I’d recommend just emailing the graduate psychology department and ask them directly about what exactly they’re asking for in the “Statement of Interest” – I never had to answer anything like that when I had applied to PhD Clinical Psychology programs a few years ago, so I can’t offer much more insight 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, Schy said:

Is anyone else realizing that some programs they PLANNED on applying to recently updated who is accepting students for FAll2020? Literally, last week a school that was in my top 3 removed BOTH faculty members from the list and I'm just ?????????????? frustrated. I understand it's due to personal reasons and funding and maybe a list of other things, but now I'm like whats the point in even applying???? not to mention I already sent out the request of LORs for that school. 

I feel like I need to find another program to try and replace it, but there aren't a lot of people with a focus in behavioral economics/substance abuse *cries* 

Literally just had this happen to me, one of my top choice mentors just decided to not take a student after I'm put months and months into preparations for this program ? feeling many emotions right now lol 

9 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Which mentors are no longer accepting.a student? Which Schools?

For me it was University of Memphis Clinical Psych Program! Two (maybe three weeks now) M-M was accepting students and now her profile is blank. Doesn't specify if she's accepting or not now. 

11 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Which mentors are no longer accepting.a student? Which Schools?

Mine was at Michigan State...heard from a current graduate student that the lab decided not to take a graduate student this year. Super bummed, was one of my top choices ?

10 hours ago, justacigar said:

Literally just had this happen to me, one of my top choice mentors just decided to not take a student after I'm put months and months into preparations for this program ? feeling many emotions right now lol 

I'M SO SORRY! ? If it's any consolation I'm still reeling from the change as well. I've been preparing since July/August and it's so frustrating realizing there's been changes WEEKS before apps are due. If I'm being honest I had a bit of mania and spent a couple hours researching new programs so that I can see if there are faculty out there that I missed before lol 

2 minutes ago, Schy said:

For me it was University of Memphis Clinical Psych Program! Two (maybe three weeks now) M-M was accepting students and now her profile is blank. Doesn't specify if she's accepting or not now. 

Have you reached out to her or any current graduate students? It might just be a tech error or a fluke! Don't count her lab out until you hear confirmation. 

Just now, justacigar said:

Have you reached out to her or any current graduate students? It might just be a tech error or a fluke! Don't count her lab out until you hear confirmation. 

That's a good call! I honestly didn't think of reaching out to anyone currently in the lab. I'm going to do that right now! 

Just now, Schy said:

I'M SO SORRY! ? If it's any consolation I'm still reeling from the change as well. I've been preparing since July/August and it's so frustrating realizing there's been changes WEEKS before apps are due. If I'm being honest I had a bit of mania and spent a couple hours researching new programs so that I can see if there are faculty out there that I missed before lol 

Right?? I've spent time with my partner imagining what life would be like living in that state, reading papers, contemplating what research questions I wanted to ask within the lab...ugh. Wasn't sure if I wanted to scream or cry last night

I'm glad I'm not overreacting ? I hope you found another good option, or are satisfied with the other programs on your list! My partner reminded me last night that this is why I didn't put all my eggs in one basket...but I REALLY liked that basket lol 

Just now, justacigar said:

Right?? I've spent time with my partner imagining what life would be like living in that state, reading papers, contemplating what research questions I wanted to ask within the lab...ugh. Wasn't sure if I wanted to scream or cry last night

I'm glad I'm not overreacting ? I hope you found another good option, or are satisfied with the other programs on your list! My partner reminded me last night that this is why I didn't put all my eggs in one basket...but I REALLY liked that basket lol 

I'm cracking up! I also imagined what life would be like living there, what apartments I'd like to live in, how much it would cost to ship my stuff there LOL. We're all definitely living the same admissions process existence *cries* 

And your partner sounds wise, but why do they have to be right!!!  It's hard not to get caught up! I'm ready to lead the life I day dreamed about LOL  

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

Mine was at Michigan State...heard from a current graduate student that the lab decided not to take a graduate student this year. Super bummed, was one of my top choices ?

Which POI? I applied there. Checking now. 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:52 PM, Macykid said:

How wild is it that these applications are due in less than two weeks? I'm planning to submit them all next Wednesday so Thanksgiving is all relaxation, but I'm not currently prepared to let the universe do its thing. 

LMAO, relaxation is a myth at this point. I'll relax when I get in