Jump to content
dancedementia

Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Recommended Posts

On 6/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, clare b. said:

Does anyone know of any fully funded Psy.D programs?

Also, does anyone know if Teachers College Columbia clinical psych or Yeshiva clinical health psych programs are fully funded / provide stipends?

TC does now have a fully funded phd program - as of last year I believe. (I'm in the MA program)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GRE Subject Test Question!

What is considered a 'good' score in the GRE Psychology Test? I have a neuroscience background and am hoping to go into neuropsychology, but I don't have all of the psychology background that most applicants have. I scored well on the Biological part (89th percentile), but my others are eh. I don't have time to re-take it before applications, but 6/8 of the programs I'm applying to don't require it so I don't know if my overall score of 680 (66th percentile) will hurt my application or if I should just include it to show that my psychology background is fine.

Help please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 10:43 PM, Clinapp2017 said:

Guaranteed nobody will read that much... Any shorter version? I would not submit anything longer than a typical paper length in the field (maybe a max of 20 double space pages, not including references). 

Of course not! I don't have a shorter version and am reticent to edit it because I wrote it 2 years ago. My ideal situation would be to upload the whole thing, and have PIs skim it and see my nice figures and my analysis section. I don't want to offend by insinuating I expect a PI to read 60 pages in reviewing my application, though. Should I just...not bother? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomatotomahto said:

Of course not! I don't have a shorter version and am reticent to edit it because I wrote it 2 years ago. My ideal situation would be to upload the whole thing, and have PIs skim it and see my nice figures and my analysis section. I don't want to offend by insinuating I expect a PI to read 60 pages in reviewing my application, though. Should I just...not bother? 

I wouldn't do that. I would just pick a portion of it and upload that. They want to see that you can write well with the writing sample, and if I recall from my own app experience, most of my schools provided a specific page limit somewhere in the application portal or on the website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 2:13 PM, penny4urthoughts said:

GRE Subject Test Question!

What is considered a 'good' score in the GRE Psychology Test? I have a neuroscience background and am hoping to go into neuropsychology, but I don't have all of the psychology background that most applicants have. I scored well on the Biological part (89th percentile), but my others are eh. I don't have time to re-take it before applications, but 6/8 of the programs I'm applying to don't require it so I don't know if my overall score of 680 (66th percentile) will hurt my application or if I should just include it to show that my psychology background is fine.

Help please!

Hmm..that's tough. I'd say don't include it unless you didn't graduate with a degree in psychology and you absolutely must show that you have adequate knowledge of psych. It's really not that bad of a score though, as most students admitted have an average around 700.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have experience with reapplying to a program you interviewed for? I'm considering reapplying but to a different professor, and I'm not sure if that will make me seem directionless or determined. I know that one of the professors wasn't accepting last cycle, and the other I didn't know about until interview week and never spoke with/emailed them, but it is the same program. 

Any opinions on this topic would be helpful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! Hoping to get some opinions on my chances. This will be my second application cycle, and I am quite nervous. I first applied for the 2017-18 cycle and was offered admission to one program, but declined due to lack of fit & another opportunity coming my way.

GRE: V 162/ Q 157 / Writing 5.0

GPA: 3.83

Strong letters of rec

Worked in several labs for several years during undergrad, but it only resulted in one co-authorship on a pub, still in prep for journal submission. After undergrad I was awarded an international fellowship through which I travelled overseas and did a ton of volunteer & clinical work, and for the past year I have been working in another research lab. I have a ton of experience both in research and clinically, and am very clear on my topics of interest, but am extremely worried that my lack of posters/pubs will end up killing me. Not sure if I should even bother applying to some of the most competitive programs without more authorship cred on my CV? I welcome any opinions, thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, applicant17 said:

Hello! Hoping to get some opinions on my chances. This will be my second application cycle, and I am quite nervous. I first applied for the 2017-18 cycle and was offered admission to one program, but declined due to lack of fit & another opportunity coming my way.

GRE: V 162/ Q 157 / Writing 5.0

GPA: 3.83

Strong letters of rec

Worked in several labs for several years during undergrad, but it only resulted in one co-authorship on a pub, still in prep for journal submission. After undergrad I was awarded an international fellowship through which I travelled overseas and did a ton of volunteer & clinical work, and for the past year I have been working in another research lab. I have a ton of experience both in research and clinically, and am very clear on my topics of interest, but am extremely worried that my lack of posters/pubs will end up killing me. Not sure if I should even bother applying to some of the most competitive programs without more authorship cred on my CV? I welcome any opinions, thanks!

 

 

If you are a good fit with PIs at schools you are applying to, your lack of posters/papers may not matter given your other experiences. However, I advise pushing out that paper for publication ASAP. Work with whoever is on that paper to have it under review vs in prep by the time you submit apps. Also maybe apply to present that paper at a conference somewhere. Showing research productivity is important when considering that you will be going up against people with several pubs/posters under their belts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 10:49 PM, lifeofpsy said:

Does anyone have experience with reapplying to a program you interviewed for? I'm considering reapplying but to a different professor, and I'm not sure if that will make me seem directionless or determined. I know that one of the professors wasn't accepting last cycle, and the other I didn't know about until interview week and never spoke with/emailed them, but it is the same program. 

Any opinions on this topic would be helpful! 

Someone in my current cohort got in after their 2nd interview the next year. I don't think it will hurt! It is also okay to say that your interests have changed... It is natural for interests to evolve and to have more than one interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, applicant17 said:

Hello! Hoping to get some opinions on my chances. This will be my second application cycle, and I am quite nervous. I first applied for the 2017-18 cycle and was offered admission to one program, but declined due to lack of fit & another opportunity coming my way.

GRE: V 162/ Q 157 / Writing 5.0

GPA: 3.83

Strong letters of rec

Worked in several labs for several years during undergrad, but it only resulted in one co-authorship on a pub, still in prep for journal submission. After undergrad I was awarded an international fellowship through which I travelled overseas and did a ton of volunteer & clinical work, and for the past year I have been working in another research lab. I have a ton of experience both in research and clinically, and am very clear on my topics of interest, but am extremely worried that my lack of posters/pubs will end up killing me. Not sure if I should even bother applying to some of the most competitive programs without more authorship cred on my CV? I welcome any opinions, thanks!

 

 

You seem like a very strong applicant. The most important aspect of clinical applications is matching with a PI and demonstrating well-articulated interests. I was accepted with 0 publications, though I do have substantial experience presenting workshops at various conferences in my field. Applications are considered a whole package, so being stronger in one area certainly makes up for lacking in another area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When do you think professors will start reaching out? Is it possible to hear from potential mentors before the application deadlines? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, Clinapp2017 said:

Trim it back to 500. Not following basic directions is never a good first impression. 

Is it ok to be over if the directions say “around 1000 words? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

When do you think professors will start reaching out? Is it possible to hear from potential mentors before the application deadlines? 

Programs traditionally extend interview invites after the deadline, as they choose students from the total applicant pool. Unless a program specifically states it has rolling deadlines (which is not common and I don't know of any clinical/counseling psych program that does). If you email a faculty member directly, you may hear from them regarding your email.

43 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Is it ok to be over if the directions say “around 1000 words? 

It is best to be as close to 1000 words as possible. If you are 1001 it probably isn't a big deal, but you want to make sure you are as close to 1000 as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Is it ok to be over if the directions say “around 1000 words? 

Not by much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

When do you think professors will start reaching out? Is it possible to hear from potential mentors before the application deadlines? 

Some programs extend interviews as late as January and February. Best to be patient. I’ve never heard of a program (for clinical) invite people before the middle of December at the *very* earliest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Some programs extend interviews as late as January and February. Best to be patient. I’ve never heard of a program (for clinical) invite people before the middle of December at the *very* earliest. 

Is it possible for an interested professor to reach out via phone to further ascertain if you are a potential match? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Is it possible for an interested professor to reach out via phone to further ascertain if you are a potential match? 

Yup! Last around, I had a few profs ask for Skype interviews prior to giving a formal invite to the interview day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foood said:

Yup! Last around, I had a few profs ask for Skype interviews prior to giving a formal invite to the interview day

Did you end up getting the formal interview? Also did you get an offer of admission? What programs were they? PIA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Did you end up getting the formal interview? Also did you get an offer of admission? What programs were they? PIA?

Yup, I did get formal interviews after for both schools. Was waitlisted for one and rejected for the other 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I was going to apply to 20-25 schools, since I figured that would increase my chances of getting in *somewhere*, but I've decided to cut it down to 16 to save time/money and enable me to focus on each individual application more instead of spreading myself thin. These are all Clinical PhD programs, except for UBC, which is technically an MA program:

  • Auburn University
  • Case Western Reserve University
  • Florida State University
  • Harvard University
  • Louisiana State University
  • Miami University (Ohio)
  • Mississippi State University
  • Oklahoma State University
  • Rutgers University
  • Texas Tech University
  • University of British Columbia (Vancouver)
  • University of Notre Dame
  • University of South Florida
  • University of Southern Mississippi
  • University of Utah
  • University of Wyoming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! If anyone would be willing to compare my stats to the schools I am applying to I would greatly appreciate it! This is my first time applying to clinical psychology programs and I am very nervous. I have some research experience, worked in a lab for two years, got two posters and a co-authored manuscript, another lab for 1 year with 2 posters and a conf. presentation, and a final lab I've been working in for only a few months. I have a lot of experience doing data collection/entry/analysis and have a lot of other general basic research experience. I did a lot of volunteer work with adverse populations in my undergrad but nothing I would consider clinical work (not really sure what others mean by that actually?). I graduated with a 3.8 GPA and my GRE scores are 156 V/154 Q (I know these are low but I am not sure how much higher I would be able to score if I retook it... Again...). I am mainly interested in research regarding minority mental health, specifically in trauma, substance use, and or risk/resilience, so if there are any programs I missed that may be good please let me know!

Here's my list! (Clinical PhD's and 3 PsyD's)

University of Rhode Island
University of Arizona
University of Nevada (Reno)
University of North Dakota
University of South Dakota
University of Memphis
University of Massachusetts (Boston)
Louisiana State University
University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
Seattle Pacific University
University of Wyoming
Texas Tech University

Baylor (PsyD)
University of Indianapolis (PsyD)
Rutgers University (PsyD) 

Are there any schools I should omit due to my stats or just in general? Thanks for any advice! I greatly appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ink-nut said:

Are there any schools I should omit due to my stats or just in general? Thanks for any advice! I greatly appreciate it!

Nah, you solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 12:43 PM, clare b. said:

Does anyone know if John Jay clinical psych / Hunter clinical health psych programs have a word limit for their SOPs?

For John Jay there is no specified limit but I wouldn't recommend anything longer than 2 pages single spaced. Last year we also had a separate 250 word prompt on experience with diversity in education. Also, just in case you don't know, you can only apply to one Graduate Center PhD program (either John Jay or Hunter, not both). Those two programs are VERY different in terms of classes, practicum experience, and research focus. Match yourself with a program that is in line with your interests/previous experience. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 6:53 AM, Schy said:

Hello All! This is my second year applying to PhD clinical psych programs and I'm hoping this will be the LAST year! My GRE was really low (140s for V and Q and a 4 in writing) I'm currently in the throws of studying and recently purchased a program from MAGOOSH so.... fingers crossed! 

 

So far I have a list of programs I'm interested in applying and I'm hoping to find more with researchers that have a similar interest! My research focus is evidence based health interventions for trauma victims (ptsd), substance abuse, contingency management, and CBT. I also have a new interest in the behavioral economics of when people make the switch from abusing prescription opiates to abusing illicit ones. 

 

University of California at Irvine
University of Memphis
Utah State University
Utah State University
UCSD &SDSU joint program
University of Texas at Austin
University of Montana

Just FYI, as far as I know UCI is not a clinical psychology program - not sure if that's what you were hoping for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.