Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 10/9/2019 at 9:49 PM, lifeofpsy said:

Does anyone have experience with reapplying to a program you interviewed for? I'm considering reapplying but to a different professor, and I'm not sure if that will make me seem directionless or determined. I know that one of the professors wasn't accepting last cycle, and the other I didn't know about until interview week and never spoke with/emailed them, but it is the same program. 

Any opinions on this topic would be helpful! 

This is totally acceptable and doesn't make you seem directionless. There are often a lot of professors with really similar research within the same University. 

Hello new friends and colleagues!

The fourth time is the charm. Second (and third and so on...) round folks, don't feel discouraged. If this is what you want and you put in the work, you can do it!

• The Backstory
    • Finished undergrad in 2013
      • Low GPA for a clinical applicant (but from a strong institution)
      • Undergraduate RA experience (and a great rec letter or two)
    • Worked in an area related to my original subfield of interest within clinical psychology (tangential, but very positive rec letter or two)
    • Took GRE (strong scores)
    • Applied in original subfield of interest (1st round)...
      • I get interviews. No offers
    • (2nd round)...
      • I get interviews. I get a waitlist (non-clinical program; no acceptance). I get masters offers.
    • Left job and regrouped life. Consider doing Master's.
    • Got a psychology lab manager job NOT in original subfield of interest and skip an application season to gain skills/experience
    • Applied in original subfield of interest (3rd round)...
      • Had great experience and rec from new job
      • Great interviews! 
      • Waitlist. Same program as waitlisted Round 2. No acceptance.
  • The Pivot
    • Heart to heart with advisor/mentor/PI/boss
      • Supportive and surprised that I haven't gotten accepted
      • "I think you can do it, but I want to make sure you really want it and you don't just think you want it because you keep not getting it."
        • Mind blown. Realize that behind the scenes of my own life, I've been at work, in a new (to me) subspecialty of clinical psychology (the one I'm managing a lab within) and I'm showing great promise and actually have more passion and interest in than I have for the original subspecialty at this point.
  • The Comeback
    • Publications (including 1st authorship in a reputable journal in my new subspecialty)
    • Conference Presentations (Flash Talks and Posters)
    • Graduate Stats Coursework (Regression)
    • Networking! 

Don't want to jinx it, but I'm feeling confident and I've already (through the unofficial grapevine) heard some good things. I'm here to cheer myself on and to cheer on all of you!

Here's to months of refreshing your e-mail inbox and the grad cafe results page! 

DM for specifics.

Edited by Modulus
clarification

8 minutes ago, Modulus said:

• "I think you can do it, but I want to make sure you really want it and you don't just think you want it because you keep not getting it."
    • Mind blown. Realize that behind the scenes of my own life, I've been at work, in a new (to me) subspecialty of clinical psychology (the one I'm managing a lab within) and I'm showing great promise and actually have more passion and interest in than I have for the original subspecialty at this point.

It looks like you have truly found your calling, and you are clearer than ever about what you want for your life and your career! The degree is not called "doctor of philosophy" for no reason --- the ultimate goal of earning this degree is to answer the questions of what clinical psychology is, how the field of clinical psychology have been developed, and where the field should move on in the future. The first step might be to ask these questions about ourselves, and I can see that you already have some very thoughtful answers. This clarity will get you far! Best of luck in your application process!!

16 hours ago, clare b. said:

anyone have any insight on how much the "Writing Sample" matters? I didn't do a college thesis, so this part won't be the strongest part of my application...

I haven’t written anything in a while so I’m just using a year old research paper since I have nothing more recent. I’m hoping it’s not very important considering I have manuscripts in preparation also. 

17 hours ago, clare b. said:

anyone have any insight on how much the "Writing Sample" matters? I didn't do a college thesis, so this part won't be the strongest part of my application...

I don't think it matters what sort of writing sample you use, though obviously published papers would be the strongest. If you have a literature review or some other psychology paper you've written I would submit that. Writing is a huge part of psych so showcasing it as a strength is important

On 11/8/2019 at 12:38 PM, rainydaychai said:

Me, for the second time!

I applied to eight schools while completing my undergraduate degree last year. I did get one acceptance but similar to others' stories, it was partially funded and I don't want to go into debt. I did receive interviews for 4/8 programs so I don't necessary think it was a specific aspect holding me back - there were just so many qualified applicants and it was hard to complete with individuals who had 1 or more years of post-bacc work while still an undergrad. I secured a post-bacc research coordinator position myself in June in exactly the same area I want to go into (clinical forensic) and have definitely beefed up my CV with a few more conference presentations and many new skills. Good luck to everyone!

Great, thanks for sharing your experience!

On 11/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

This is my 3rd try. First time was right out of college. No luck no interviews. 2nd try was right out of MS program & I got 2 interviews but no offers. This time I have been working in a top research lab, have amazing recommendations, have the masters degree & a BCBA license. I don’t know what more I can do if it doesn’t work out this time. 

Good luck!!! I'm sure you will do great and everything will work out. You seem really qualified!

On 11/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, psycstudent2018 said:

This is my second time.

I applied my senior year of college. I didn't expect to get in, but wanted the practice and wanted to use the resources I had available to me while I was still in school. I applied to four programs and was accepted into the Masters for one, waitlisted for an interview at another, and accepted in the third. Ultimately, I turned down my offer of admission on the grounds of the school being non-funded. 

I personally believe what held me back was lack of experience. I'm applying now after doing a post-bacc for the past year and a half and am applying with a much stronger resume. Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed!!

On 11/8/2019 at 10:55 AM, Schy said:

This is my second round. Last year I only applied to one school seriously and it was my undergrad/current school I do research at. I got interviewed and waitlisted and I think it was because of my low gre scores (which honestly aren't much better this year). What I do have now thats different is 2 years of intense research experience, a better CV, a more succinct statement of purpose and hopefully better LOR. however my gre scores are still painfully low so I'm going to make sure I apply to masters programs as well this time around. I honestly cannot do another year of waiting around lol 

Sounds like you have a game plan, good luck!

Second time applicant here! 

So a little about me, I'm an international applicant who graduated from a US liberal arts college earlier this year. Being a small liberal arts college the focus is largely on education, and not research (in hindsights a major bummer when applying to clinical)... Nevertheless, I presented my honors thesis at SPSP earlier this year, and then as a paper presentation at a smaller regional conference shortly there after. On the one hand I assume this looks good on my application, but the problem is that the research was social psych and not clinical. After getting 2/7 interviews last application cycle, and ultimately ending up first alternate at BOTH programs (still upsetting) my plan was to apply for a research assistantship within my field of interest (broadly speaking negative symptoms of schizophrenia). Then came the kicker, since I didn't hold a permanent US visa all the labs I applied to where unable to take me on. After the initial disappointment, I thought ok, time for plan B, "surely" I can get a similar position in my home country.  Again the answer was NO, apparently where I live it's required by law that unless you're a student enrolled at that university you need to have a masters degree (or higher) to be hired on to help with research. Having run out of research options, I went for the second best thing (I think) and got a full time position at an acute psychiatric ward as an environmental therapist. 

Long story short I'm applying again this year without having gained any more research experience, but with a ton of practical experience mostly tied to patients within the clinical population I'm interested in researching. I have a strong gpa (3.96), GRE scores in the 80th percentile range, good rec letters, and a fair amount of research experience (though not related to my interests). Do you guys think I have a chance this year? Should I try to relay this in my SOP somehow, or would that just make it seem like I'm making up excuses?

16 minutes ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

So a little about me, I'm an international applicant who graduated from a US liberal arts college earlier this year. Being a small liberal arts college the focus is largely on education, and not research (in hindsights a major bummer when applying to clinical)... Nevertheless, I presented my honors thesis at SPSP earlier this year, and then as a paper presentation at a smaller regional conference shortly there after. On the one hand I assume this looks good on my application, but the problem is that the research was social psych and not clinical. After getting 2/7 interviews last application cycle, and ultimately ending up first alternate at BOTH programs (still upsetting) my plan was to apply for a research assistantship within my field of interest (broadly speaking negative symptoms of schizophrenia). Then came the kicker, since I didn't hold a permanent US visa all the labs I applied to where unable to take me on. After the initial disappointment, I thought ok, time for plan B, "surely" I can get a similar position in my home country.  Again the answer was NO, apparently where I live it's required by law that unless you're a student enrolled at that university you need to have a masters degree (or higher) to be hired on to help with research. Having run out of research options, I went for the second best thing (I think) and got a full time position at an acute psychiatric ward as an environmental therapist. 

Long story short I'm applying again this year without having gained any more research experience, but with a ton of practical experience mostly tied to patients within the clinical population I'm interested in researching. I have a strong gpa (3.96), GRE scores in the 80th percentile range, good rec letters, and a fair amount of research experience (though not related to my interests). Do you guys think I have a chance this year? Should I try to relay this in my SOP somehow, or would that just make it seem like I'm making up excuses?

I definitely don't think you're making excuses. The cards dealt to you just weren't the best. I also go to a small liberal arts college but we have a ton of active research but you offset me with great GRE scores and a much better GPA. Frame it as perserverence and I think anyone reading it would be impressed. Also PM me which liberal arts. Just curious lol but I know you DEFINITELY have a chance

44 minutes ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

First off, I am sorry for all of that frustration -- that really sucks! 

I think explaining this narrative in your SOP shows your resilience and commitment to the field and studying in the USA. Definitely use it to your advantage. I think some decent research with your stats should be fine. Is there any chance that project could be or is in the process of being submitted for publication? 

Hi guys!

It’s my first time applying to programs in PhD Clinical Psychology. I will only be applying for schools in Florida (first choices are UM and FIU). I have 2 years of research experience (1 poster but a lot of clinical skills and managing data from several programs). I also conducted a seminar once on a presentation related to my research interests. My GPA is 3.91 and GRE is very very very low. So I’m worried about my GRE not letting me pass the cutoffs. However, I have 3 strong letters of recommendation.

3 minutes ago, Mel29 said:

Hi guys!

It’s my first time applying to programs in PhD Clinical Psychology. I will only be applying for schools in Florida (first choices are UM and FIU). I have 2 years of research experience (1 poster but a lot of clinical skills and managing data from several programs). I also conducted a seminar once on a presentation related to my research interests. My GPA is 3.91 and GRE is very very very low. So I’m worried about my GRE not letting me pass the cutoffs. However, I have 3 strong letters of recommendation.

Do you know what the cutoffs are for your schools? Are the scores below 150 respectively?

14 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

Do you know what the cutoffs are for your schools? Are the scores below 150 respectively?

It doesn’t state cutoff specifically but they say the average scores around 149-155. And my scores are below this average.

I'm sure I could ask this question elsewhere, but I'm genuinely curious what you guys think. At what stage do you guys apply for fellowships/scholarships/grants/financial aid? I read somewhere online that you should apply for FAFSA as soon as you submit your application... honestly I'm lost on the money situation lol 

1 minute ago, Schy said:

I'm sure I could ask this question elsewhere, but I'm genuinely curious what you guys think. At what stage do you guys apply for fellowships/scholarships/grants/financial aid? I read somewhere online that you should apply for FAFSA as soon as you submit your application... honestly I'm lost on the money situation lol 

I hadn't really thought about this... I'll probably have 2/3 of my Apps for the schools I listed for SHHRC submitted by the time I submit the SHHRC application. The third has a January 31st deadline so I'm hoping that's okay and I don't have to rush that app?

27 minutes ago, Mel29 said:

It doesn’t state cutoff specifically but they say the average scores around 149-155. And my scores are below this average.

Last year my GRE scores were V: 148 Q: 142 and AW: 4 and I got one interview where they later on wait-listed me. And it was the only school I applied to. I also had less than a year of research experience. However my research matched the POI really well. This year only my V score is better and my AW score is literally a 2.5. I chose to send both scores to all the schools I'm applying. I've also gotten in touch with graduate coordinators and most of them have told me they look at applications holistically and GRE's are only one, less important piece of the app. 

1 minute ago, springxsummer said:

I hadn't really thought about this... I'll probably have 2/3 of my Apps for the schools I listed for SHHRC submitted by the time I submit the SHHRC application. The third has a January 31st deadline so I'm hoping that's okay and I don't have to rush that app?

What is the SHHRC? 

I KNOW if any of us get admitted we'll also be receiving stipends/free tuition, but honestly 15-20k a year (which honestly is a range I have no idea what actual grad students at specific schools make a year) is extremely hard to live on????? 

1 minute ago, Schy said:

What is the SHHRC? 

I KNOW if any of us get admitted we'll also be receiving stipends/free tuition, but honestly 15-20k a year (which honestly is a range I have no idea what actual grad students at specific schools make a year) is extremely hard to live on????? 

Yeah what is that?

In regards to stipend some places it's very easy to live on others it requires a lot of budgeting and roommates. It's definitely possible though!

1 minute ago, Macykid said:

Yeah what is that?

In regards to stipend some places it's very easy to live on others it requires a lot of budgeting and roommates. It's definitely possible though!

You're right! I think I'm being pessimistic LOL. This tells me that I should be more worried about my horrible budgeting skills than requesting money from FAFSA HAHAHA

42 minutes ago, Mel29 said:

I would try to get your hands on the APA Graduate Study in Psychology 2018 guidebook. They have a lot of cutoffs listed that perhaps aren't on the websites on the schools.