Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

10 hours ago, Mbp213 said:

For those who got invited to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville counseling interview days, was it from a specific POI or the department overall? Thank you!

It was from the head of department and training director, and then my specific POI and the program coordinator were CC'd. 

1 hour ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

Did any of you fine people apply to LSU? A friend of mine applied there last year and heard back super early, so I’m starting to get a little worried that no one is posting interviews because no one here applied... 

I applied to LSU and haven't heard anything yet either! I'm sure so much of it is dependent on how many applications that PI got, how long it takes them to go through the review process, etc. Based on info from past years, it looks like LSU sends notifications via PIs, not through the grad department or whatever, so there will probably be a considerable difference in when people are hearing back because of that. 

On 12/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, Kaya_F said:

Hey, thanks 

Yeah I am a bit nervous knowing how many schools others applied for. The thing is my husband got a job in LA and those are the only 3 schools within 2 hour drive that offer neuropsych related labs / specializations. I guess at this point it's just a waiting game...? 

Got an email today from SDSU that they want me to submit TOEFL scores because my university in Canada is bilingual.... even though I am American and have only ever studied in English! Talk about a stressful morning

That’s a tough situation for sure – That’s a pretty common issue, it seems. I do hope the process works out for you.

1 hour ago, impicklerick said:

Do y'all know or have any experience of accepting an interview and then turning it down later? I know understandably that school would be upset, but could it possibly hurt your chances at other schools? TIA

The field is VERY small. Don't be the person who accepts an interview and then backs out (you only screw the school and other applicants that way). This has happened in a few cases I know, and word travels FAST. You basically black-ball yourself out of some prominent circles in your future profession, as doing this can ripple out to internship, post-doc, and beyond. I like to practice the "how would I feel if someone did to me what I am about to do" rule. 

If you know there is no way in hell you'd want to go there, don't accept the invite to interview. My guess is it's a possibility for you and worthwhile to interview in case you like it more than you'd expect or want it as a back up plan. If you get an invite from another school, reschedule with the second school (even if it's a higher choice for you). Everyone gets that the best applicants will get a lot of interviews, so these things happen. Only on a few occasions have I heard of programs refusing a student to interview via skype or come a different day, and frankly those programs are not the types of programs I think most people would want to go to anyways, as being flexible within reason is an essential aspect that you need your PhD program to be.

6 hours ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

Did any of you fine people apply to LSU? A friend of mine applied there last year and heard back super early, so I’m starting to get a little worried that no one is posting interviews because no one here applied... 

Another thread on clinical and counseling someone posted that they got a phone interview at LSU. I've been in contact with LSU due to an issue with my transcript from a dual-enrollment course I took with a local college in high school and they just advised me to get in contact with the institution as quickly as possible so definitely decisions are still being made but have started. I'd expect to start hearing the next couple of days.

Hi everyone, I am currently attending a forensic clinical program and am just finishing up my first semester. I wanted to drop by to give words of encouragement and offer to answer any questions about interviews/applications/etc. since I now have a bit more time.

I was in your shoes last year (and 2 years before that) and remember how nervous I was during the whole winter season. Please remember to take care of yourselves during this VERY stressful time! Even getting to the point of submitting these applications is a HUGE accomplishment that takes a lot of determination and grit. Remember to be proud of yourself for getting to this point!

Lastly, as interview offers roll in, consider checking out this guide, specifically "Section 3. I Just Got an Interview for a Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program What do I do?!" I found it to be incredibly helpful; it talks about what to expect, how to dress, and what kinds of questions to ask. 

http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf

Don't hesitate to reach out for advice/encouragement or with questions about psych programs in NYC. Warmth and light for you all this season! ❤️ 

6 minutes ago, humanisticPOV said:

Hi everyone, I am currently attending a forensic clinical program and am just finishing up my first semester. I wanted to drop by to give words of encouragement and offer to answer any questions about interviews/applications/etc. since I now have a bit more time.

I was in your shoes last year (and 2 years before that) and remember how nervous I was during the whole winter season. Please remember to take care of yourselves during this VERY stressful time! Even getting to the point of submitting these applications is a HUGE accomplishment that takes a lot of determination and grit. Remember to be proud of yourself for getting to this point!

Lastly, as interview offers roll in, consider checking out this guide, specifically "Section 3. I Just Got an Interview for a Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program What do I do?!" I found it to be incredibly helpful; it talks about what to expect, how to dress, and what kinds of questions to ask. 

Don't hesitate to reach out for advice/encouragement or with questions about psych programs in NYC. Warmth and light for you all this season! ❤️ 

Thanks for the words of encouragement! It's always nice to be reminded that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that those of us on our second, third, etc. rounds shouldn't be discouraged. The waiting game is incredibly tough, especially for something like this, our literal DREAM and future career path. Congrats on your success so far!

3 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

The field is VERY small. Don't be the person who accepts an interview and then backs out (you only screw the school and other applicants that way). This has happened in a few cases I know, and word travels FAST. You basically black-ball yourself out of some prominent circles in your future profession, as doing this can ripple out to internship, post-doc, and beyond. I like to practice the "how would I feel if someone did to me what I am about to do" rule. 

If you know there is no way in hell you'd want to go there, don't accept the invite to interview. My guess is it's a possibility for you and worthwhile to interview in case you like it more than you'd expect or want it as a back up plan. If you get an invite from another school, reschedule with the second school (even if it's a higher choice for you). Everyone gets that the best applicants will get a lot of interviews, so these things happen. Only on a few occasions have I heard of programs refusing a student to interview via skype or come a different day, and frankly those programs are not the types of programs I think most people would want to go to anyways, as being flexible within reason is an essential aspect that you need your PhD program to be.

What if you've already accepted an offer of admission at another school, or you've received an offer of admission from one of your top choices and therefore want to cancel most of your upcoming interviews except your other top choices?

(This obviously hasn't happened to me yet since it's still December.)

2 hours ago, humanisticPOV said:

Acknowledging that just applying is an accomplishment itself is a really helpful thing to hear. Thanks!

49 minutes ago, firsttimeapp said:

Hi all! If a school is sending your application to committee for review is that just a formal email for all or does it indicate some form on interest?

No form of interest, everyone gets those unless your application is not admissible 

17 hours ago, MiddleOfSomeCalibrations said:

What if you've already accepted an offer of admission at another school, or you've received an offer of admission from one of your top choices and therefore want to cancel most of your upcoming interviews except your other top choices?

(This obviously hasn't happened to me yet since it's still December.)

The earliest acceptances I have heard of (in clinical or counseling) come around early February, so I don't think this is likely assuming those fields are your area. Of course, if you wind up accepting your top choice, then decline other interviews of course, but I would not do that until you have formally signed a written offer letter. 

1 hour ago, ekilgallon said:

Does anyone know the timeline for Yale inviting interviews?

43 minutes ago, whitmanic said:

Seconded

on the website it says something about letting applicants know by mid-December....