Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

16 minutes ago, ImAFreudNot said:

Honestly I don't think so. Most programs have a cut-off, but stipulate that they make exceptions. Also, most faculty don't care about GRE scores at all really. It may be an issue in the admissions office, but once they wave you through, I doubt it'll be a huge issue, at least from the faculty members I've spoken with. My understanding is that faculty care MUCH more about fit, research/clinical experience, etc. I don't think you're a definite rejection and it's also still very early the in the process to count yourself out entirely!

I did meet with the head of the clinical program earlier in the year and she told me that making it through the committee is the biggest hurdle in general.  I truly hope there isn't a magical number or cutoff that's written in stone. Thanks for the response.

I received a personal email from a PI saying that they were impressed with my application and would love for me to attend interview day to learn about the program, meet them & grad students, etc. I was overjoyed when I read it, but now wondering--is that sort of thing common? Don't want to get my hopes up too high!!

11 hours ago, Aghhhhh said:

I received a personal email from a PI saying that they were impressed with my application and would love for me to attend interview day to learn about the program, meet them & grad students, etc. I was overjoyed when I read it, but now wondering--is that sort of thing common? Don't want to get my hopes up too high!!

Interview invites tend to go out one of two ways:

1) The program coordinator or DCT sends a mass email OR

2) Individual PIs invite their students 

If #2 happens, of course the PI will say something along the lines of "I was impressed with your application, and hence I want you to come interview in person." The mass blast emails say similar, but far more generic things. 

I would not be considered at getting one or the other. Some schools do one giant blast email, others do only PI emails, and some do a mix of both. Don't read into anything, but just celebrate on getting an interview! Congrats!

5 minutes ago, Neuropsych529 said:

I applied to 15 schools and havn’t heard anything yet. I’m a good candidate with lots of research experience, solid GRE scores, and publications. Should contact the department/PI to express my continued interest or just wait it out? 

Wait it out. Reaching out will appear pushy  and it’s a very busy time right now at most institutions (the end of finals week/having to get grades in, etc.) 

1 hour ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Wait it out. Reaching out will appear pushy  and it’s a very busy time right now at most institutions (the end of finals week/having to get grades in, etc.) 

I was wondering the same. On paper I’m a good candidate so I’m surprised that I haven’t heard much. Starting to get concerned as more of my schools extend invitations to others. On the upside I haven’t seen any from my POI’s. 

12 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

I was wondering the same. On paper I’m a good candidate so I’m surprised that I haven’t heard much. Starting to get concerned as more of my schools extend invitations to others. On the upside I haven’t seen any from my POI’s. 

As others have said, it’s still VERY early. The clinical faculty where I’m a student at didn’t even meet to discuss applications until today and no interview invites will be going out until a couple weeks into January. Try to stay positive through the holidays!! 

2 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

As others have said, it’s still VERY early. The clinical faculty where I’m a student at didn’t even meet to discuss applications until today and no interview invites will be going out until a couple weeks into January. Try to stay positive through the holidays!! 

Subsequently receives 10 DM's from applicants asking where they study

1 hour ago, Neuropsych529 said:

I applied to 15 schools and havn’t heard anything yet. I’m a good candidate with lots of research experience, solid GRE scores, and publications. Should contact the department/PI to express my continued interest or just wait it out? 

I would definitely wait it out, it is still very early. I feel you though; I am constantly fighting the urge to email the departments that I applied to. ?

24 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Thank you!! 

Well just got my first rejection. After a phone interview (that I thought had gone well) my POI emailed to say she cannot offer me an invite to interview day. Gotta love disappointment right before the holidays. Congrats to those moving forward. I'm hoping this puts me one step closer to the school I'm meant to be at!

1 minute ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Well just got my first rejection. After a phone interview (that I thought had gone well) my POI emailed to say she cannot offer me an invite to interview day. Gotta love disappointment right before the holidays. Congrats to those moving forward. I'm hoping this puts me one step closer to the school I'm meant to be at!

Aww that sucks. Especially right before the holidays and when you got good vibes from the phone interview. Sending virtual support and I hope you get a chance to do something you enjoy over the holiday! 

I'm freaking out. Anyone else? This is my first application cycle and I think I am a decent candidate but I assume all 300-400 candidates are good candidates.. I haven't gotten any rejections or invites thus far which scares me.. I thought I might hear from at least one or two before the holidays.

Edited by clinicalpsych.2020

1 minute ago, Psych1st said:

Do people ever send out invites on Saturdays? Or is that a time to stop checking websites compulsively? 

Honestly my thoughts all day. I actually received one on Saturday two weeks ago so it is possible, but I think unlikely. I just know some of my programs haven't sent out results yet even though they said they would before break so now I'm just stuck.

9 hours ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Hey you made it to the phone interview round at least, some of us didnt make it out the gate lol. Stay strong  youve got 7 other schools to go!!!

9 hours ago, Modulus said:

Anyone hear anything from University of Rhode Island? I'm in interview scheduling hell and want to know if I can free up that date...

Based off of last year they didn't send anything out until January ?

14 hours ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

I'm freaking out. Anyone else? This is my first application cycle and I think I am a decent candidate but I assume all 300-400 candidates are good candidates.. I haven't gotten any rejections or invites thus far which scares me.. I thought I might hear from at least one or two before the holidays.

I'm in the same boat as you, but it's my second cycle and I was feeling super confident going into this round after beefing up my apps. Very hard to be patient and not totally catastrophize the entire situation lol. I'm finding myself mentally prepping to apply again...even though I haven't been officially rejected from anywhere ?

On 12/18/2019 at 4:50 PM, Mbp213 said:

I was wondering the same thing!

I'm not sure if they have sent out all of their invites, but I received an interview invite for February 28th. I hope you hear something soon!