Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

57 minutes ago, mcolby16 said:

GradCas just did the meanest thing to me and sent me an email saying "You've been selected" and it was the GradCas company asking me to do a survey. My HEART.

That is so stressful!! Wow ?

On 12/21/2019 at 12:03 AM, Macykid said:

Honestly my thoughts all day. I actually received one on Saturday two weeks ago so it is possible, but I think unlikely. I just know some of my programs haven't sent out results yet even though they said they would before break so now I'm just stuck.

I received an email invite last Saturday and the POI followed up by phone last Sunday

On 11/23/2019 at 11:34 AM, ekilgallon said:

Hello! I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea on if I have ANY chance at all. Here are my credentials/stats:

• I'm applying to go straight out of undergraduate
  • Undergraduate School: Umass Amherst
  • GPA: 3.795
  • GRE: Verbal 164 (94 percentile) / Quant 159 (70 percentile) / Writing 5.0 (92 percentile)
  • 1.5 years in Neurocognition and Perception Laboratory at UMass - worked extensively as RA on one project that was published but did not get authorship
  • 1 additional year doing research for honors thesis that will hopefully be published with myself as first author
  • 2 years as paraprofessional for kids with autism
  • 4 strong letters of recommendation - 1 from thesis director, 1 from professor that I TA'd for, 2 from supervisors as a Paraprofessional (some only allow 3 letters though)
  • Strong (I think) personal statements with very strong interest in specific professors research (but no DIRECT experience in those fields - my research was in auditory and language perception while I want to work with emotion regulation as it relates to psychopathology and autism)

Schools I'm applying to in order of preference based on specific PI's research:

• Yale with J.J. as PI
  • UMass Boston with A.E. as PI
  • UMass Amherst with A.G. as PI
  • Boston University with S.H. as PI
  • University of Connecticut with M.B. as PI
  • Harvard with K.M. as PI
  • Clark University with W.G. as PI

I'm almost done with all my applications but should I have EXTREMELY low expectations in terms of interview and offers based on my credentials? 

Thanks!

Ahhh we have very similar schools - and same PI at Harvard! We should probably, like, network ;)

My stats:

Graduated undergrad in 2016 (3.9 GPA overall, 4.0 psych)

GRE - 167V, 161Q, 5AW

Undergraduate research (mostly independent and kind of useless), then worked in a lab at Harvard Medical School to gain research experience with stress/PTSD population.

Went to the National Institute of Mental Health as a Post-Bacc IRTA (anyone else do this?) and got a lot of great experience there.

One first-author publication to a mid-tier journal, two additional first-author manuscripts underway, and a few authorships on other papers. All sounds great in theory, but none were completed before my applications except the first. 

Tons of clinical experience - currently still work in a clinical care job. 

Letters of rec from the Harvard PI I worked with, the PI of my lab at the NIH, professor who had me in undergrad, the director of the psychology department from undergrad, and the director of my current clinical job. 

I think strong personal statement, although I'm having that classic panic since there's nothing I can do to change it... I think it was interesting but I wish I had focused more on future research rather than current experience! My whole paper was basically why I should go to graduate school, with barely a paragraph on what I'll do once there. Thoughts?

Anyway I'm trying to have high hopes so please don't completely destroy them, but I am also interested in what could be done differently next round if need be!

On 12/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, PsychedAboutPsych121 said:

Is there anyone who applied to PI’s researching eating disorders? I wouod love to connect regarding programs applied to, etc! Feel free to DM :) 

I didn't apply but I got a chance to meet CB from UNC at WCPG this past October, she is hilarious. Did you apply to her?

10 hours ago, Mbp213 said:

Does anyone know if the Georgia State, UC Santa Barbara, and University of Maryland counseling psych programs have extended all on campus interview invites? Trying to figure out if I should move on ?

In regards to UCSB i heard back from my PI about two weeks ago inviting me to the campus interview but that was after a preliminary Skype interview. hope that helps ! Good luck !

On 12/15/2019 at 9:54 PM, eve13 said:

on the website it says something about letting applicants know by mid-December....

I still haven't seen anything on here about anyone hearing from Yale! Has anyone? Also the person who posted on the results page that looked like they got a Yale interview but then just wrote "Has anyone heard from Yale" just about gave me a heart attack hahah!

56 minutes ago, ekilgallon said:

I still haven't seen anything on here about anyone hearing from Yale! Has anyone? Also the person who posted on the results page that looked like they got a Yale interview but then just wrote "Has anyone heard from Yale" just about gave me a heart attack hahah!

They updated their website that they plan to let individuals know early January 

Hi everyone,

1st year clinical (Ph.D.) student here. I remember being in your place around this time last year (and several years before that), and found myself reminiscing how awful all those feelings were during “application” season. The uncertainty, checking my emails at all hours of the day, comparing my stats; background/experiences to other equally competitive applicants, refreshing the stupid forums and invites pages at every minute- ALL of it.

It took me 3 application rounds to finally be accepted, at my “dream” institution, with a PI who I “dreamed” of working with (For reference: I was rejected from this school during previous application rounds).

All of this to say: This process isn’t easy. It’s unfair, it isn’t for the weak. However, the field is slowly changing, especially for applicants from less privileged backgrounds. Clinical Psychology has a lot of room for growth (and revamping this difficult, confusing, and oftentimes unfair application process should be a goal for the CUDCP).

Regardless of the outcome this application season: Please do not give up. If this is what you want to do for the rest of your life, you will get in. Do not let a lack of interview invite or rejection from a program define your self-worth/potential. Remember to practice self-kindness, and understand that there are a lot (unfair) factors at play that are out of your control as an applicant.

I’m happy to chat and give words of encouragement for those who need it. I met some awesome folks this past Spring during my interview process (and on here!) and I am forever grateful for that. I’m thinking of you all during this difficult time and process.

— seasoned applicant who went through this BS misery, multiple rounds. 

7 minutes ago, xxxxxxxxxx said:

Hi everyone,

1st year clinical (Ph.D.) student here. I remember being in your place around this time last year (and several years before that), and found myself reminiscing how awful all those feelings were during “application” season. The uncertainty, checking my emails at all hours of the day, comparing my stats; background/experiences to other equally competitive applicants, refreshing the stupid forums and invites pages at every minute- ALL of it.

It took me 3 application rounds to finally be accepted, at my “dream” institution, with a PI who I “dreamed” of working with (For reference: I was rejected from this school during previous application rounds).

All of this to say: This process isn’t easy. It’s unfair, it isn’t for the weak. However, the field is slowly changing, especially for applicants from less privileged backgrounds. Clinical Psychology has a lot of room for growth (and revamping this difficult, confusing, and oftentimes unfair application process should be a goal for the CUDCP).

Regardless of the outcome this application season: Please do not give up. If this is what you want to do for the rest of your life, you will get in. Do not let a lack of interview invite or rejection from a program define your self-worth/potential. Remember to practice self-kindness, and understand that there are a lot (unfair) factors at play that are out of your control as an applicant.

I’m happy to chat and give words of encouragement for those who need it. I met some awesome folks this past Spring during my interview process (and on here!) and I am forever grateful for that. I’m thinking of you all during this difficult time and process.

— seasoned applicant who went through this BS misery, multiple rounds. 

Thank you... this helped me a lot. As an applicant with below the necessary research experience in my opinion, and with little hope of acceptance or even interviews, I want to thank you for your uplifting words. I hope everyone here can remember them. 

I've already asked this, so sorry to be redundant, but has anyone heard back from University of Oregon for clinical psych? I haven't seen anything on the results page for clinical and they are usually one of the first to send out invites. Sort of assuming rejection from them...for the second time ?

On 12/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, Macykid said:

If anyone else has an interview at IU Bloomington DM me! Looking to possibly share a hotel or something to lower the costs!

Are you counseling or clinical? I applied for counseling but haven’t heard anything yet :(