Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Hi! I've posted about this on the "I'm stressed" section, but I'm looking for some advice. I interviewed with my program in January. More professors interviewed than spots available. My PI said they are low on the list and as one person declines an offer of admission, another PI can make an offer. They said it could be several weeks to hear back since the interview was during one of the first interview weekends and people would need time to make decisions. However, it's been a month since then and I haven't received any updates, but I know at least the first 5 offers have gone out. I don't have any other offers so emailing doesn't make sense because I'm not asking for decision making purposes. But, is there a point where it is acceptable to email about status? What would you do? I know being patient is important but I'm going to need to start planning things one way or the other at some point. 

1 hour ago, Psych1st said:

Hi! I've posted about this on the "I'm stressed" section, but I'm looking for some advice. I interviewed with my program in January. More professors interviewed than spots available. My PI said they are low on the list and as one person declines an offer of admission, another PI can make an offer. They said it could be several weeks to hear back since the interview was during one of the first interview weekends and people would need time to make decisions. However, it's been a month since then and I haven't received any updates, but I know at least the first 5 offers have gone out. I don't have any other offers so emailing doesn't make sense because I'm not asking for decision making purposes. But, is there a point where it is acceptable to email about status? What would you do? I know being patient is important but I'm going to need to start planning things one way or the other at some point. 

I definitely think it's acceptable at this point to ask the DCT about your status! A month is quite a while. 

5 hours ago, Aghhhhh said:

I definitely think it's acceptable at this point to ask the DCT about your status! A month is quite a while. 

I agree with this too — though, I'd expect the DCT to tell you to wait until mid-April for finalized decisions.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:09 AM, Ppkitty said:

University Of Massachusetts Boston 

Program: Counseling Psychology

DegreePhD 

SeasonF20 

How Notified E-mail 

When Notified 02/20/2020 

Decision Wait listed 

POI LC. Please DM me if you were accepted, thanks so much! And congratulations!

Same for me. I was waitlisted, POI is LC.

I saw that someone on the results page got accepted to University of North Carolina Charlotte for Clinical Psychology PhD, congrats! I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from them / POI. 

Also, do universities always send acceptances at the same time? (AKA is there any hope of an acceptance if I haven’t received one yet)

1 hour ago, Rae3605 said:

I saw that someone on the results page got accepted to University of North Carolina Charlotte for Clinical Psychology PhD, congrats! I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from them / POI. 

Also, do universities always send acceptances at the same time? (AKA is there any hope of an acceptance if I haven’t received one yet)

I heard back from Iowa almost a week after the first person did. 

On 2/22/2020 at 12:18 PM, Psych1st said:

I am in the same boat. Can I ask you what school you are waitlisted for? pM me if you'd like. In my case, the P.I didn't let me know where she was on the list to offer admission as everything was through the DCT. DCT said in the initial email that there is really no way to tell who will be able to put in an offer next so it has been about 1 month and I have heard nothing.

4 minutes ago, AutumnCaffeine said:

To the Fordham poster on the results page - can you PM me? Congrats & thank you!!

I would also love a PM from the Fordham acceptance poster, if you don't mind!  CONGRATS!

If you are reaching out to a school to let them know you'd like to withdraw your application because you're accepting another offer, is it customary to tell them where you're going? Have other people done this? Thanks in advance for feedback! Every aspect of this process makes me so anxious; I just want to do everything right/maintain good rapport with all the faculty members I interviewed with.

49 minutes ago, PsychedInfo said:

If you are reaching out to a school to let them know you'd like to withdraw your application because you're accepting another offer, is it customary to tell them where you're going? Have other people done this? Thanks in advance for feedback! Every aspect of this process makes me so anxious; I just want to do everything right/maintain good rapport with all the faculty members I interviewed with.

I think it really varies, but I went ahead and told mine where I'm going (especially since the researchers are in the same field). I think they like to know as well, as it helps understand why that program might have been a better fit