Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 3/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, patricia25 said:

Okay, so I have a dilemma if anyone has any advice for me... I’ve been accepted to 3 schools (only holding on to 3 because one has yet to send the official offer, once I receive the official offer I will release the other 2). However, I was randomly invited to interview with a school at the end of February, asking if I was still interested (I’m almost positive they had already had their official interviews and this was a last minute invite of some kind). However, because of their spring break, and now COVID 19, they are unable to set up an official date with me for when this interview will be. What I’m nervous about now is meeting the April 15 deadline for my decision due to all of these delays - does anyone know if they might plan to extend this deadline? Or any tips on what I should do?

If you can, you should release one of the offers (keep your top choice out of the two) while waiting for the last offer letter. When you get the offer letter, choose between those schools (release another one of the offers). Then you can pursue the last interview while only holding onto one offer. If it gets close to the April 15 deadline, you can accept the offer you have & give up on the last interview. That’s what I would do at least :) good luck! 

I’m having serious trouble coping with the uncertainty of the world right now (financial stability and health because of the pandemic) PLUS not knowing if I’m going to grad school in the fall. I interviewed at 2 PsyD programs and already got a rejection from one. The Wright Institute is remaining and it’s my dream program! The admissions director said he gave himself April 1 as a deadline but to expect to hear back mid-March. It’s Friday night March 27 and I am trying not to lose my mind. Does anyone know the deal with the Wright Institute right now? Is there a chance I’ll get an email over the weekend? TIA!

17 minutes ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

I’m having serious trouble coping with the uncertainty of the world right now (financial stability and health because of the pandemic) PLUS not knowing if I’m going to grad school in the fall. I interviewed at 2 PsyD programs and already got a rejection from one. The Wright Institute is remaining and it’s my dream program! The admissions director said he gave himself April 1 as a deadline but to expect to hear back mid-March. It’s Friday night March 27 and I am trying not to lose my mind. Does anyone know the deal with the Wright Institute right now? Is there a chance I’ll get an email over the weekend? TIA!

Didn’t they send acceptances already? I’ve seen people getting offers on the results section 

19 minutes ago, Itzik said:

Didn’t they send acceptances already? I’ve seen people getting offers on the results section 

According to the dates on the results page they sent a few early - before all the interviews even occurred

13 minutes ago, JustW8ing said:

Can anyone add anything that may help sway my decision.

I am deciding between Adelphi University and LIU Brooklyn.  

My research focus is well suited for either. 

Which one is cheaper? They're both pretty psychodynamic and have about the same reputation. If all else is equal, is either giving you any sort of scholarship? 

8 hours ago, JustW8ing said:

Ehh, both programs are expensive and can be considered crippling. 3rd option is you wait a year, build your cv, and attempt to get into a funded program. If that is not a possibility and you are ready for the looming debt your gonna take, I think either one will be fine. Which POI do you enjoy more? How was the students in the program, how’s the environment. Focus on those questions.

43 minutes ago, Itzik said:

Ehh, both programs are expensive and can be considered crippling. 3rd option is you wait a year, build your cv, and attempt to get into a funded program. If that is not a possibility and you are ready for the looming debt your gonna take, I think either one will be fine. Which POI do you enjoy more? How was the students in the program, how’s the environment. Focus on those questions.

Crippling because of expenses or for other reasons?

11 hours ago, JustW8ing said:

Would you like to PM who your POI is/what you are interested in (research interest/clinical v. research?)

I am trying to remain calm during this stressful time, but I have intense anxiety right now. I interviewed at ETSU Feb. 14  for Clinical and Georgia State Feb. 21 for Developmental. I was told I would hear back from both schools prior to April 1, and here I am on March 31 with no response from either school. I feel that it would be tacky to ask when I will hear back since COVID-19 has thrown everything into chaos. Also, on the results page, ETSU only has 2 acceptances and nothing else and GSU doesn’t have anything for Developmental. 

Should I just assume I’ve been rejected to both or wait it out a little longer? Is it tacky to ask my POIs right now or am I overthinking? 

I thought that both of my interviews went really well if that matters. 

20 minutes ago, Phil4192 said:

I am trying to remain calm during this stressful time, but I have intense anxiety right now. I interviewed at ETSU Feb. 14  for Clinical and Georgia State Feb. 21 for Developmental. I was told I would hear back from both schools prior to April 1, and here I am on March 31 with no response from either school. I feel that it would be tacky to ask when I will hear back since COVID-19 has thrown everything into chaos. Also, on the results page, ETSU only has 2 acceptances and nothing else and GSU doesn’t have anything for Developmental. 

Should I just assume I’ve been rejected to both or wait it out a little longer? Is it tacky to ask my POIs right now or am I overthinking? 

Just ask.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:35 PM, Phil4192 said:

I’m just looking through different forums and posts, but you can email them. They understand we are all anxious for our decisions. I’ve contacted different programs asking when decisions would be out. I start off with saying I understand about the virus and I hope them and their family are in good health then I ask my question or anything else. 

On 3/31/2020 at 4:35 PM, Phil4192 said:

It's never tacky to reach out to a POI! Especially if you were given a deadline date and haven't heard back. I would just be understanding in your email. Mention that you are aware there are unpredictable and uncertain events happening in the world and local communities, but you wanted to check in for an update as 3/31 has passed and you were told you would hear back by then. It's completely within your rights to check in, as long as you do it thoughtfully. I hope you hear back positive things! 

On 3/31/2020 at 7:35 PM, Phil4192 said:

I interviewed at ETSU a few years back and didn't get a response until June. They were not very good with communication. I ended up emailing the secretary to find out I was rejected.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:17 AM, 379337933793 said:

This is such a scary and exciting journey to be starting on! I have a few questions as I get going in my clinical/counseling PhD application process.

- When do people typically ask for letters of recommendation? Should I just ask now?

- Is it appropriate to reach out to department coordinators at this time to ask if they know anything about POIs looking for students? If so, does it look bad to ask about multiple POIs? Should I reach out to POIs directly instead? 

Wow, as one cycle ends, another begins ?

this is very excited. Remember put your head down and prep to grind through multiple applications.

as far as your questions: I asked my LORs in September “would they write a letter for me” and then after I nailed that down. A month and a half before applications were due. I sent The request out all at once so my writers can just crank it out at once and be done.

As far as contacting POI. start end of August, if they don’t answer, request info from the department coordinators. Map out fit and availability & boom you well have your applications mapped out

Has anyone heard waitlist or rejections from LIU CW Post? I saw some people say they recieved emails of acceptance on the results page, if those people see this please let me know who you recieved the email from!

I have been in touch with my POI and he has been given me what seems like positive "hints" but I still have not heard back from the program officially. 

School: University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC)

Type: Clinical Psychology PhD

POI: JW

Notice: Email

Note: POI informed me that first offers have been sent out but his lab was unable to extend a first offer to any applicant

Was just notified that the cohort was filled at the school I was waitlisted at.. All those who were accepted, I would love to know how to improve my application for next cycle if anyone minds DMing me! Congrats to everyone who got into their dream program this round! 

On 4/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, Itzik said:

Wow, as one cycle ends, another begins ?

this is very excited. Remember put your head down and prep to grind through multiple applications.

as far as your questions: I asked my LORs in September “would they write a letter for me” and then after I nailed that down. A month and a half before applications were due. I sent The request out all at once so my writers can just crank it out at once and be done.

As far as contacting POI. start end of August, if they don’t answer, request info from the department coordinators. Map out fit and availability & boom you well have your applications mapped out

The post you are referencing was posted in May of 2019 haha 

Did anyone ever hear from Rosalind Franklin? It wasn't a good fit for me and I accepted a position elsewhere soon after the interview there, but I'm surprised I never heard anything from them and never saw anyone else post anything! I thought it was a great program and the students seemed super happy, just wasn't the right research fit for me. Since I accepted elsewhere I never followed up about a decision, but am still super surprised I never saw anyone post any results from them.

Hi everyone, Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm in need of advice so I'm cross-posting. I recently committed to a Developmental Psychology Ph.D. program and am excited to start. However, I am wrestling with how to tell my new advisor that I have ADHD. It's pretty well-managed, but sometimes I need a little flexibility with taking breaks during work and/or changing up my scenery (i.e. working in the office, at home, at a library) It also means that when I'm stressed out I tend to get emotional. Sometimes, I can cry or get easily frustrated. Again, I have it pretty well-managed, but I feel like it's something I should be disclosing to someone I am going to work so closely with. 

For those of you in a similar situation, or who have gone through a similar situation, I would love some feedback.