2017: Friday, March 17
2016: Tuesday, March 29
2015: Tuesday, March 31
2014: Tuesday, April 1
2013: Friday, March 29
2012: Friday, March 20
2011: Tuesday, April 5
2010: Tuesday, April 6
2009: Friday, April 10 & Tuesday, May 19 (released in 2 batches)
2008: Tuesday, April 1
2007: Friday, March 23
2006: Thursday, March 30
2005: Saturday, April 9
2004: Thursday, March 18
2003: Friday, April 4
2002: Friday, March 15
2001: Tuesday, March 20

Pretty consistent Tuesday or Friday for the past 15 years. Usually near end of March / beginning of April.

Thanks for this!! Looks to me like the first reasonable potential date for us could be next Friday the 20th? I’d imagine two weeks after that (March 30-April 3) is a more realistic guess, though. 

Anybody else starting to get a little nervous? I was able to forget about my application for most of December-February, but now I find myself checking this thread much more often. Late March is coming up way faster than I thought it would.

2 hours ago, letssee said:

Anybody else starting to get a little nervous? I was able to forget about my application for most of December-February, but now I find myself checking this thread much more often. Late March is coming up way faster than I thought it would.

same here! I have a TAship for next year so this is going to decide what my next year or two is going to look like. Hopefully we find out next week. The reviews are all online so I don't expect there to be a delay due to the coronavirus.

10 hours ago, leilani_i said:

Same here. I wonder how delayed school offers will be during the shutdown, too. 

I would venture to guess that most offers have already gone out. They have at my school. 

10 hours ago, ChemEBear said:

My city is in near-lock down for 3 weeks, and I already know I'm gonna be checking NSF GRFP fastlane every. single. day. now that I'm stuck home 24/7.

I feel you. I'd sort fo forgotten about it until I had a dream last night that the selection email had gone out...

12 hours ago, ChemEBear said:

My city is in near-lock down for 3 weeks, and I already know I'm gonna be checking NSF GRFP fastlane every. single. day. now that I'm stuck home 24/7.

We haven't hit lockdown in Atlanta, but I'm working remote for the rest of the semester (universities are all closed, etc etc) and trying to stay home as much as possible anyway. I did get a stack of new books from my favorite local place to distract me in my free time before retreating into my apartment, but I think waking up every Tuesday and Friday is going to be stressful until results come out. Hoping for next week to be the week!

2 hours ago, DevoLevo said:

I would venture to guess that most offers have already gone out. They have at my school. 

The application deadline for my program was 3/15. 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, jmillar said:

2019: Tuesday, April 9
2018: Tuesday, April 3
2017: Friday, March 17
2016: Tuesday, March 29
2015: Tuesday, March 31
2014: Tuesday, April 1
2013: Friday, March 29
2012: Friday, March 20
2011: Tuesday, April 5
2010: Tuesday, April 6
2009: Friday, April 10 & Tuesday, May 19 (released in 2 batches)
2008: Tuesday, April 1
2007: Friday, March 23
2006: Thursday, March 30
2005: Saturday, April 9
2004: Thursday, March 18
2003: Friday, April 4
2002: Friday, March 15
2001: Tuesday, March 20

Pretty consistent Tuesday or Friday for the past 15 years. Usually near end of March / beginning of April.

Thank you so much for this! I assume it could be any Tuesday/Friday from now on. Hopefully it isn't extremely delayed due to COVID-19. Best of luck to everybody!! 

2 hours ago, Physicsisphysics said:

Does this mean it'll be released next week?

I hope so! Tomorrow would be the 20th, which is still pretty early (but not impossible) compared to most of the dates posted above. Next week's likely dates would be the 24th and 27th which I think is getting much more into reasonable territory.

It's my first time logging back on here in awhile, but I am anxiously awaiting this result now like many of you. I'm a first year graduate student, and while I have a spot in my desired lab, earning this would be huge for me.

Is it true that fewer fellowships are being awarded this year? It's been a wacky couple of years as it is, between last year's government shutdown and now the pandemic...

I don't know if it's relatively fewer, just that it's always a tiny percentage anyway. Like we need it to get any more tight....I'm starting to feel antsy too. When I applied I told myself that I was doing so basically knowing that I would never get it, but of course now I feel anxious and invested. 

1 hour ago, sgaw10 said:

It's my first time logging back on here in awhile, but I am anxiously awaiting this result now like many of you. I'm a first year graduate student, and while I have a spot in my desired lab, earning this would be huge for me.

Is it true that fewer fellowships are being awarded this year? It's been a wacky couple of years as it is, between last year's government shutdown and now the pandemic...

It's going slightly up! Last year they awarded 1,500 fellowships. This year they intend to award 1,600. Also anxiously awaiting the results!

15 hours ago, Physicsisphysics said:

It's going slightly up! Last year they awarded 1,500 fellowships. This year they intend to award 1,600. Also anxiously awaiting the results!

Originally they said they were going to reduce last year's to 1,500, but then they decided to award 2,000. You can see through the Awardee List (says 2,052 but that's due to 52 people being offered the award after others turned it down, it was 2,000 on the original release date). Also here you can see some info here: https://www.nsf.gov/ehr/Pubs/grfpoutreach2020.pdf On slide 5 they give last year's success rate of 16% with ~12,200 applications.

The program solicitation for this year and next says it will be 1,600: https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2019/nsf19590/nsf19590.htm

Assuming the same amount of people apply this year as last year (~12,200), the acceptance rate this year would be about 13%, which I've placed on the graph below with the question mark (green is stipend level, blue is acceptance rate).

ePFdJJa.png

Edited by jmillar