NSF GRFP 2019-2020

SFS

I'm pretty sure I remember reading from last year's thread that a maintenance message goes up the day before. Right now there isn't one so I'm imagining it likely won't be tomorrow. A maintenance message itself doesn't always mean it's going to happen, but results haven't been released to my knowledge without one going up. 

38 minutes ago, letssee said:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading from last year's thread that a maintenance message goes up the day before. Right now there isn't one so I'm imagining it likely won't be tomorrow. A maintenance message itself doesn't always mean it's going to happen, but results haven't been released to my knowledge without one going up. 

There was a maintenance message for Friday (03/20).

I'm getting pretty anxious too so I did some stats on the release dates from the past 20 years. The mean release date ended up being around March 29 and the median was March 31. If we are sticking to the Tuesday/Friday plan, the best bet is March 31 (next Tuesday). I'm hoping its sooner! 

While waiting for my code to run for the paper I'm working on, I looked at the NSF threads from the past couple years and found for each year when maintenance was announced (or at least when someone posted on gradcafe that it was announced), what the announced timeframe for maintenance was, and when results were actually posted. Based on the pattern, I doubt the maintenance on 3/20 was related to us (this happened in prior years). I know last year was delayed due to the government shutdown and who knows what's going to happen with COVID this year, but I hope it'll come out this Friday or next Tuesday? No reason to actually expect that, but I can dream...

1593852812_ScreenShot2020-03-23at5_38_40PM.thumb.png.4ca6ccc78068285703248d93377e3a79.png

1 hour ago, jasbee said:

While waiting for my code to run for the paper I'm working on, I looked at the NSF threads from the past couple years and found for each year when maintenance was announced (or at least when someone posted on gradcafe that it was announced), what the announced timeframe for maintenance was, and when results were actually posted. Based on the pattern, I doubt the maintenance on 3/20 was related to us (this happened in prior years). I know last year was delayed due to the government shutdown and who knows what's going to happen with COVID this year, but I hope it'll come out this Friday or next Tuesday? No reason to actually expect that, but I can dream...

1593852812_ScreenShot2020-03-23at5_38_40PM.thumb.png.4ca6ccc78068285703248d93377e3a79.png

This is amazing!

1 hour ago, jasbee said:

This actually gives me a lot of assurance that I can get through today without too much worry that it will come tonight/tomorrow morning. 

4 hours ago, doctordoctor said:

This actually gives me a lot of assurance that I can get through today without too much worry that it will come tonight/tomorrow morning. 

Glad that could help! If the pattern they’ve had for years holds, they’ll indicate on the GRFP login page on a Monday or Thursday that the website will go down late that night into the early morning and everyone will get emails some time in that given timeframe super early on Tuesday/Friday saying if they got the award/HM/not recommended. If I had self control (and wasn’t self isolating in my parents’ basement) I could just refresh the GRFP login page once every Monday and Thursday evening and that would give me a heads up if I should expect an email soon. Realistically, I’ll refresh more than that, but until that change happens on the portaI login page I won’t be refreshing my email or logging in to check.

Also, do you know if they send early notification to the applicants that they won't be reviewing their app? or do they wait to tell them? I do not think my proposal is related to any disease or treatment but I have heard of cases where students applied and they were told their proposal was ineligible despite of not being related to disease study. 

16 hours ago, jasbee said:

Went through my emails to find the time for 2014: April 1 @ 3:09 AM Eastern

29 minutes ago, mitochondria_1 said:

Also, do you know if they send early notification to the applicants that they won't be reviewing their app? or do they wait to tell them? I do not think my proposal is related to any disease or treatment but I have heard of cases where students applied and they were told their proposal was ineligible despite of not being related to disease study. 

I've seen several people on twitter that got emails saying their proposal was rejected for being disease related, so you would likely have received an email if that was the case for you.

16 hours ago, jasbee said:

Thanks for this information. Very helpful.

7 minutes ago, jmillar said:

I've seen several people on twitter that got emails saying their proposal was rejected for being disease related, so you would likely have received an email if that was the case for you.

Thank youuu. Yeah, I haven't received any email from them. Maybe thats good news, at least they are considering my app. I'm anxious for the results to come up, I just want to know :(

9 minutes ago, jmillar said:

I also saw some posts on twitter related to this a few months back so I would wager at this point @mitochondria_1 you're in the clear - one of the guys that posted his app wasn't reviewed since it was too medical seemed to have research that's not at all disease-related (especially relative to mine), but obviously I don't have his application in front of me to tell for sure.

Based on skimming through prior threads, more people than I would've expected/hoped said at least one of their reviewer's comments showed they clearly weren't paying attention when reading their application (to the level of including the completely wrong research topic in their comments) and considering how many qualified people apply I don't think anyone should take it personally if they don't get the GRFP since it's all pretty arbitrary - but damn that money would be nice ?

Alright I'm running my scripts again that take forever, so I decided to finish fleshing out the chart I made earlier since people seemed to appreciate it. Going back more years didn't really add much more info - it just shows the release pattern has been really consistent for the past decade (but with the current pandemic, pretty much all normal routine is out the window so I wouldn't be surprised if things were different this year). 

GRFPTable.thumb.jpg.093ca571c3c5b4160689038e79c87b88.jpg

2 hours ago, jasbee said:

I also saw some posts on twitter related to this a few months back so I would wager at this point @mitochondria_1 you're in the clear - one of the guys that posted his app wasn't reviewed since it was too medical seemed to have research that's not at all disease-related (especially relative to mine), but obviously I don't have his application in front of me to tell for sure.

Based on skimming through prior threads, more people than I would've expected/hoped said at least one of their reviewer's comments showed they clearly weren't paying attention when reading their application (to the level of including the completely wrong research topic in their comments) and considering how many qualified people apply I don't think anyone should take it personally if they don't get the GRFP since it's all pretty arbitrary - but damn that money would be nice ?

Thanks. Yeah, I saw lots of very qualified applicants don't get it or get honorary mention only. Having my own fellowship would be nice. So much freedom if we get that money.

3 hours ago, jasbee said:

Alright I'm running my scripts again that take forever, so I decided to finish fleshing out the chart I made earlier since people seemed to appreciate it. Going back more years didn't really add much more info - it just shows the release pattern has been really consistent for the past decade (but with the current pandemic, pretty much all normal routine is out the window so I wouldn't be surprised if things were different this year). 

GRFPTable.thumb.jpg.093ca571c3c5b4160689038e79c87b88.jpg

We will probably hear back Tu April 6 or Fri April 10. 

tricks to access early?! damn, i wish i knew those

41 minutes ago, Physicsisphysics said:

Hoping it's this Friday! I know in past years, people have found tricks to access results early, does anybody know if they still work?