NSF GRFP 2019-2020

SFS

7 minutes ago, struggleknot said:

When they say "released" do they mean they'll email us? How will they notify us? Just wondering bc this is my first time applying (senior undergrad) and I'm also on West Coast time and am a pretty hardcore night owl.

I believe they send an email notification after uploading the Awardee List hours before.

19 minutes ago, isk20 said:

If the site will be down until 6 then we wouldn’t be able to view the awardees list even if it went up at 2:30, right?

My understanding is that’s correct, but we might get emails before the list on the site itself goes live in the morning. Not sure though so don’t quote me on that lol!

edit: for example, if results technically go up at 11 and we get the email at 2, I don’t expect to see the full list until the next morning but we’d know whether we got it. 

Edited by letssee

Good luck to everyone! I was super impatient to hear back (hence making that whole chart thing) and was planning on staying up until GRFP results were posted, but we had to go to the vet to put my family's 14 year-old chocolate lab down this morning and I'm pretty emotionally/physically exhausted (she lived a long, full, happy life and we knew it was going to happen soon-ish). Here's to hoping the results come out super early and the universe decides to give me some good news tonight...

51 minutes ago, letssee said:

My understanding is that’s correct, but we might get emails before the list on the site itself goes live in the morning. Not sure though so don’t quote me on that lol!

edit: for example, if results technically go up at 11 and we get the email at 2, I don’t expect to see the full list until the next morning but we’d know whether we got it. 

Would they email everybody? or only applicants that were awarded the grant? 

27 minutes ago, jasbee said:

Good luck to everyone! I was super impatient to hear back (hence making that whole chart thing) and was planning on staying up until GRFP results were posted, but we had to go to the vet to put my family's 14 year-old chocolate lab down this morning and I'm pretty emotionally/physically exhausted (she lived a long, full, happy life and we knew it was going to happen soon-ish). Here's to hoping the results come out super early and the universe decides to give me some good news tonight...

Sorry to hear that. I hope you and your family recover from your loss. And I hope you do hear good news. No matter what you hear back, remember that submitting an application is a big accomplishment on its own.

52 minutes ago, jasbee said:

I’m really sorry to hear that! It’s always super hard losing a pet. 

Likewise I tend to be up pretty late anyway so depending when it comes out I might still be up.

1 hour ago, MoonSunEarthWaves said:

I'm a second year Physics graduate student. I literally made an account just for this forum. I'm super excited even with my low chances of receiving honorable mention or an award. But this wait is very exciting and I hope that we get the results tomorrow morning.

Same here! I literally just created this account so I could hop on here and chat with other people about this. I graduated undergrad a couple of years ago and am applying as a pre-doctoral student in the life sciences category. 

I'm excited that the wait will FINALLY be over soon... good luck everyone!

What are you guys gonna gift your LOR writers? I was gonna gift them baked goods but since everything is remote that's not really an option anymore :(

16 minutes ago, Bernt said:

What are you guys gonna gift your LOR writers? I was gonna gift them baked goods but since everything is remote that's not really an option anymore :(

I didn't think about giving my LOR anything for their help. This is a very great idea and gesture. I think I might send them an emailed (free) thank you card with my award status.

Just now, MoonSunEarthWaves said:

I didn't think about giving my LOR anything for their help. This is a very great idea and gesture. I think I might send them an emailed (free) thank you card with my award status.

My LOR writers also wrote my graduate school recommendations so I have a ton to thank them for :)

I might do a small amazon gift card (~$15), and then offer to take them out for lunch when I'm in town and this is all better.

20 minutes ago, Bernt said:

My current institution has some weird rules about students/staff gifting superiors, but I bought a nice bottle of wine for one of my other letter writers at another school. I’m sure they would appreciate any token of thanks. 

25 minutes ago, Bernt said:

One of my rec letter writers was my advisor, so I was able to get her something personalized-- a particular planner with all the criterias I knew she wanted. But with my other two writers, I mailed them thank you letters with a small gift. I applied under chemistry, so I got them some coffee mugs in the shape of beakers.

Two of my letter writers wrote for my graduate applications, which was a year ago. I gifted them handwritten cards containing photos I took around the campus/city (I do casual photography in my free time) as well as a mug from the university I chose for graduate studies. I think the handwritten notes are essential. I plan to purchase cards and mail them out as thanks again, even for my third letter writer who will be my thesis mentor.

5 hours ago, letssee said:

Is this 2:00 am EST?