MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Hi everyone! I've actually been following this thread for weeks and y'all have kept me sane throughout the waiting process so I finally decided to jump in. I've applied to four schools so far: Michigan, Columbia, WashU, and Boston. I'm currently finishing up my Penn application so I can get it in by the priority deadline. I have a few other programs on my list but I may end up not applying to those because your girl is TIRED. 

I got accepted to Michigan on the 13th - I was at the mall with my friend and bawled my eyes out LOL. If any of y'all are insecure about your stats, I have a 3.2 cumulative and was pretty floored when I got accepted, so don't worry!! I love how MSW applicants are reviewed holistically and they don't just care about the numbers. 

I'm so anxious to hear back from Columbia, congrats to all who have been accepted so far and keep me posted!!

1 hour ago, Kofowle10 said:

I feel the same way. Super nervous and I think I'm more on the boarder than others who have shared their stats so that makes me MORE nervous. Hopefully one of my safety schools will let me in.

You guys shall be good! Don’t worry or compare your self based on the stats. I’ve learned I have a completely different background and experience and was accepted into every school (except 1). It all comes down to your SOP, LOR’s, the reason you want to switch. But in general MSW programs are not too difficult to get into. My GPA was the least considered into every program I applied and was accepted into. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, megan715 said:

Hi everyone! I've actually been following this thread for weeks and y'all have kept me sane throughout the waiting process so I finally decided to jump in. I've applied to four schools so far: Michigan, Columbia, WashU, and Boston. I'm currently finishing up my Penn application so I can get it in by the priority deadline. I have a few other programs on my list but I may end up not applying to those because your girl is TIRED. 

I got accepted to Michigan on the 13th - I was at the mall with my friend and bawled my eyes out LOL. If any of y'all are insecure about your stats, I have a 3.2 cumulative and was pretty floored when I got accepted, so don't worry!! I love how MSW applicants are reviewed holistically and they don't just care about the numbers. 

I'm so anxious to hear back from Columbia, congrats to all who have been accepted so far and keep me posted!!

Great POST! 

Good Luck!

9 minutes ago, theworldatlarge said:

Just accepted to NYU's Shanghai / NYC program, with 17k scholarship. I'm not sure whether these are going out on a different timeline from the general MSW. 

Congrats!! When did you apply?

So I emailed the admissions office at University of Washington and apparently they release all the decisions at once (end of March). Wish they would do it on a rolling basis but oh well.

8 minutes ago, Liza123 said:

So I emailed the admissions office at University of Washington and apparently they release all the decisions at once (end of March). Wish they would do it on a rolling basis but oh well.

Uff. What a wait. Tough since that's past my spring break. The hardest part is finding the time to visit these places!!

Hi everyone!

I submitted apps for BC and BU for advanced standing. Does anyone know the acceptance rate for them vs MSW 2 year program? I'm wondering if they ever offer 2 year over advanced rather than not being accepted? I'm also working on my Simmons advanced standing supplement which is draggingggg.. anyone else applying to Simmons or need to do a supplement for another program?? 

Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Uff. What a wait. Tough since that's past my spring break. The hardest part is finding the time to visit these places!!

Same! I live on the opposite side of the country so spring break is honestly the only time I can visit, other than after school lets out. I might visit anyway, if I can find cheap enough plane tickets (since I will be visiting before I hear back).

Just wanted to throw this question out there: How much does financial aid impact your decision of school? For me, this would be a second master's degree (already have my MPH), so scholarship coverage is a critical distinguishing factor. And if all my options are veering on $80-100K of additional debt, I might defer or pass altogether. I am excited to be receiving acceptances -- of course! that's the fun part! -- but I keep telling my friends that the ultimate decision point will be around $$.

Just a word of advice to those who are just leaving undergrad or only have a few years of work experience: Think carefully about the amount of debt you are willing to take on for this degree. I accumulated six figures of debt for my MPH fresh out of undergrad, and there is a big part of me that regrets not being more judicious or conservative. I had reasons for going that soon (didn't have much health policy experience to get started in the field, wanted to eventually get a master's degree, academic inertia forward, etc.), but I was admittedly not deterred by the price tag. Probably because I was originally looking at law school, which would have been even more expensive. Plus, I saw value in having a graduate degree from a more prestigious graduate school  than my undergrad, and all of my options in that echelon of program were similarly priced.

I'll also add that I feel this way even though I've been able to make progressively more money in my 8 years since graduate school. It is still not enough to pay for non-income based repayment payments... Many in my age and income cohort are in a similar boat. You'd have to be making well beyond $100,000 to do that. I'd argue close to $150-200,000 if you live in an expensive city. As we all know, social workers and even therapists do not make nearly that much.

I just wanted to offer this friendly advice from a mid-career professional who does not want others to saddled with too much debt if there is any way to avoid it. Just something to think seriously about, in addition which program/city appeals to you most.

Hi all, I received a call from UofM regarding my acceptance on the 14th, and they had mentioned about me receiving an email or something through the mail (not sure which one) to confirm my admission decision. I still haven't received anything and the portal still doesn't display the admission decision either. Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I call just to see where they're at with sending things out? 

Edited by flaviodis

Hi! 

I have my Penn interview today at 2:45 PT and was wondering if anyone has any tips! 

Also, how long did it take for you guys to hear back? I have heard between the night after the interview or 2 weeks later. 

Any info is appreciated! 

2 minutes ago, flaviodis said:

Hi all, I received a call from UofM regarding my acceptance on the 14th, and they had mentioned about me receiving an email or something through the mail (not sure which one) to confirm my admission decision. I still haven't received anything and the portal still doesn't display the admission decision either. Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I call just to see where they're at with sending things out? 

I am in the same boat! Heard back on the 12th. I emailed and they said within the next 2 weeks. I think we just have to hang tight! :/

21 minutes ago, savannahopes said:

Did anyone else apply to Minnesota? It's the program I know the least about aid-wise. I'm out of state, but I have a lot of family in the twin cities. 

yes i did - it's my home state. no idea about aid but once you start you can get assistantships that can be quite helpful

3 hours ago, savannahopes said:

I am in the same boat! Heard back on the 12th. I emailed and they said within the next 2 weeks. I think we just have to hang tight! ?

I received my call last Thursday, and I haven't heard back in any form yet either. I'm going to give them another week before I ask about the email. I know mail might take a while but I really want to know my financial aid and when I have to respond by (so I can go ahead and push it back aha).

2 hours ago, Liza123 said:

I received my call last Thursday, and I haven't heard back in any form yet either. I'm going to give them another week before I ask about the email. I know mail might take a while but I really want to know my financial aid and when I have to respond by (so I can go ahead and push it back aha).

I heard like 1/6 and have no financial aid info so I think it'll be a while.

3 hours ago, Liza123 said:

I just got my letter tonight after a call on the 14th so it was about a week and a half for me. No financial info though, just says that it'll come separately but before the enrollment deadline

26 minutes ago, katp said:

I just got my letter tonight after a call on the 14th so it was about a week and a half for me. No financial info though, just says that it'll come separately but before the enrollment deadline

A physical letter or an email?

I still haven't received the pdf version (also heard via phone and email confirmation on the 14th). Pretty frustrating if they are only sending PDF acceptance letters and not including financial aid/merit scholarships! I have to give BC an answer on my scholarship by mid-Feb, and would really love to have some idea of Michigan's cost in order to make a decision. ? Hopefully Chicago sends scholarships as well if they do end up releasing decisions tomorrow!