Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

12 hours ago, Goooooose said:

School: Florida State University

Type: PhD

Date of invite: Dec 3rd

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): Skype interview on Dec 5th

May I ask what were your GRE scores and research experience? If you don’t mind sharing 

56 minutes ago, Mel29 said:

May I ask what were your GRE scores and research experience? If you don’t mind sharing 

My GRE is V164 Q170 W4.5

Did 2 yrs of research in undergrad, 1.5 yrs of research in master's and 1.5 yr of full-time RA (on-going). 

4 hours ago, Modulus said:

School: Virginia Tech

Date of invite: 12/4/19

Interview date(s): Preliminary phone interview 12/6-12/11

May I ask who your POI is?

On 11/29/2019 at 1:33 AM, Goooooose said:

School: University of Georgia

Date of invite: Nov 25th

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): Phone interview on Dec 3rd

Would you mind sharing the POI initials?

13 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Can the SUNY Albany applicant please DM me POI & was it a preliminary email or an invitation to interview day? 

Lol I forgot to change the date I received those emails. It was on November 11. They had absolutely nothing to do with the application and it was a glitch. 

First email:

Congratulations again on your admission to UAlbany! Now that you have been admitted, what are the next steps? This webinar will walk you through the rest of the admission process and provide information about UAlbany in general. This is a live webinar, so any questions you have will be answered in real-time. To sign up, please click here to register.

Admitted Student Webinar
Wednesday, November 20 from 3-4PM EST
Graduate Student Panel: Michael Tarasoff- MS Information Science- Intelligence Analysis & Elizabeth Stephenson- Public Health, MPH

Follow-up email:

You recently received an email from my office inviting you to an admitted student webinar. I apologize for the confusion; you were sent this email in error. While you are a prospective applicant to the University at Albany, a decision has not been made about admission. 

Once a decision on your application has been made, you will be notified via your online application portal. 

Thank you for your understanding.

So..... nothing really worth discussing here.

Just now, CowpokeMT said:

Lol I forgot to change the date I received those emails. It was on November 11. They had absolutely nothing to do with the application and it was a glitch. 

First email:

Congratulations again on your admission to UAlbany! Now that you have been admitted, what are the next steps? This webinar will walk you through the rest of the admission process and provide information about UAlbany in general. This is a live webinar, so any questions you have will be answered in real-time. To sign up, please click here to register.

Admitted Student Webinar
Wednesday, November 20 from 3-4PM EST
Graduate Student Panel: Michael Tarasoff- MS Information Science- Intelligence Analysis & Elizabeth Stephenson- Public Health, MPH

Follow-up email:

You recently received an email from my office inviting you to an admitted student webinar. I apologize for the confusion; you were sent this email in error. While you are a prospective applicant to the University at Albany, a decision has not been made about admission. 

Once a decision on your application has been made, you will be notified via your online application portal. 

Thank you for your understanding.

So..... nothing really worth discussing here.

I got that as well. I was surprised I had gotten admitted without an interview but thought maybe they decided I had applied there so many times they finally gave in lol. 

Just now, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

I got that as well. I was surprised I had gotten admitted without an interview but thought maybe they decided I had applied there so many times they finally gave in lol. 

Lol I was admitted before I sent in my application :)

Does anyone have advice when preparing for a Skype interview? I was recently invited to a Skype interview with one of my top choice POIs from UIC. I currently work with this person and have a strong professional relationship with them (so they're not a stranger).

Responses appreciated!

Test your camera and microphone well in advance, and get a friend to practice with you to mitigate the awkward aspects of doing remote interviews. When practicing, get into the habit of talking into the camera but looking at the screen when your friend is speaking. Solicit feedback on how you look and sound.

Find a background that is as minimally distracting as possible; blank walls are easiest. Play with propping your web camera or laptop at different angles to see what looks best.

When emailing with the PI, try to figure out who will be calling whom, especially if you've exchanged Skype handles and it's not immediately obvious.

The PI will have no idea if you have your CV or personal statement pulled up to answer questions. Take advantage of that as needed!

On 12/4/2019 at 12:23 AM, Goooooose said:

School: Florida State University

Date of invite: Dec 3rd

Interview date(s): Skype interview on Dec 5th

Congrats! Is your PI JF? 

On 12/6/2019 at 10:57 AM, Temperance said:

Test your camera and microphone well in advance, and get a friend to practice with you to mitigate the awkward aspects of doing remote interviews. When practicing, get into the habit of talking into the camera but looking at the screen when your friend is speaking. Solicit feedback on how you look and sound.

Find a background that is as minimally distracting as possible; blank walls are easiest. Play with propping your web camera or laptop at different angles to see what looks best.

When emailing with the PI, try to figure out who will be calling whom, especially if you've exchanged Skype handles and it's not immediately obvious.

The PI will have no idea if you have your CV or personal statement pulled up to answer questions. Take advantage of that as needed!

Thank you SO much! This response has been extremely helpful.

On 12/7/2019 at 12:47 PM, Irishsnowflakes said:

Does anyone know what schools ask you during interviews? This is my first time applying and I'm applying to UWindsor Adult clinical 

There is a long list of potential questions here: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/psychology/_files/PDF/diversitypdfs/Interview-Questions.pdf

The questions you actually get will vary based on the professor and program.  Do you have any mentors with whom you can speak about how they evaluate applicants?

On 12/6/2019 at 11:00 PM, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Can the university of Miami applicant please post or pm me their POI? Was it an invitation to interview or a preliminary Skype? 

If you get any info I’d love to know too!