2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

4 hours ago, feralgrad said:

I can understand why you'd be turned off by Temple's conduct (not letting you talk to a current student is really sketchy...), but I wouldn't agree that asking for an earlier decision is a red flag. This is common for partially-funded programs, as it gives them the opportunity to roll out offers to those on the funding waitlist before April 15th. I'd actually argue that it's more fair to the cohort as a whole.

Did temple already release decisions, or was that for a different year? 

sorry, I guess that was more of a question for @ilifi

Edited by presentperfect

16 hours ago, Dochinka96 said:

Hey guys I know it’s been a hell of a time as all these decisions roll in. I’m in a bit of a dilemma and it’s kind of driving me nuts. 

Accepted to Minnesota State and Colorado State with full GTA funding. Accepted to Virginia Commonwealth with full tuition but “high on waitlist” for funding, University of Montana sort of same deal. 

Still haven’t heard from four schools, although anticipating rejections. Iowa, Brown, Boise State and Boston U. I have absolutely no idea when I will a) hear back from these schools or b) hear about funding for VCU and Montana. 

Currently on the Ohio State Waitlist, potentially might not hear back until a week after April 15th!

Colorado State just told me they want me to make a decision by March 16th. I’m supposed to call the other programs and find out about timelines, but they just made decisions. Nobody has probably accepted or declined yet. 

I don’t know what to do. I love Colorado, but I feel I shouldn’t be asked to waste my time, money and hard work by at least not waiting to see how all things pan out and consider all schools. I feel like I’m being pushed into accepting an offer and then potentially going back on my word. 

has anyone been dealing with this, or knows someone who has and can offer words of wisdom?  What can happen if you sign a GTA offer and then decide to go somewhere else? Is there a universe where they all talk to each other and I’ll just have everything rescinded? Freaking out. 
Im just lost. 

I think it’s appropriate to reach out to them at let them know that you’re very interested but still waiting for decisions from couple of schools and gently ask for them to follow the April 15th deadline. If they don’t acquiesce I also think it’s appropriate to wait until the last possible minute of their given deadline to reply and if you still haven’t heard from the other schools, if you truly think you’ll attend Colorado if funding ect doesn’t come through from your other options, I think it’s fine to accept while you wait. I know that’s not the best option, but you’ll have done the best you can with the situation in good faith. I think it could only hurt you if you accept then decline and think you might apply to Colorado again in the future. ??‍♀️ 
I don’t know, we do the best we can with the information we have at the time. 
good luck and congrats on your acceptances! 

I’ve heard that Iowa poetry waitlist and rejection letters have apparently been sent out via mail. Have any of you received one yet? I just want to have the hard copy in my hand, even though I know it’ll be tough. I don’t want to wait longer ?

48 minutes ago, Smrn17 said:

I’ve heard that Iowa poetry waitlist and rejection letters have apparently been sent out via mail. Have any of you received one yet? I just want to have the hard copy in my hand, even though I know it’ll be tough. I don’t want to wait longer ?

I haven’t gotten one today, not looking forward to it if it’s coming tomorrow.

1 minute ago, catkin said:

I'm tempted to just call and ask. It's so frustrating to have to wait for snail mail. This system is silly. 

I just think the same. I hope because I'm international student so they'll email me instead. The paper manuscripts thingy is already insane.

Also very anxious about New School acceptances because people are starting to find them in their portal, but mine hasn’t changed. Trying not to lose hope ahh.

1 hour ago, anarchisttiger said:

Any news on Brown? Still haven't heard anything and no longer optimistic. I am now anxious that I'm checking the wrong portal.    :l

This seems to be the latest on Draft. Sorry if it's bad news, but with those numbers you can rest assured it's not a reflection on you.

brownnews.png

22 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

This seems to be the latest on Draft. Sorry if it's bad news, but with those numbers you can rest assured it's not a reflection on you.

Thanks for the update. I'm wondering, based on this person's last name, if they are sending out decisions alphabetically. If so, I may have a few more days of waiting for what is probably a rejection. 

@anarchisttiger somebody else on Draft had called Brown on Monday and was told that "decisions have been made and letters are going out this week." so based on that, it seems like everyone would hear by EOD today? but it's possible that they only meant acceptances/waitlists this week, and that rejections will come out later.

3 hours ago, pirhiaa20 said:

@anarchisttiger somebody else on Draft had called Brown on Monday and was told that "decisions have been made and letters are going out this week." so based on that, it seems like everyone would hear by EOD today? but it's possible that they only meant acceptances/waitlists this week, and that rejections will come out later.

Thank you! 

I'm curious if anyone has any insight about the conversion rates for wait list-ers. Is there a pretty good chance you'll get in if wait listed? Is it basically a lost cause? If anyone knows where I could read more about the experience of being wait listed--I'd love to check it!

Stay healthy and take care of yourself, y'all! 

1 hour ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

I've heard back from everywhere. Got into Iowa, Michigan and Brown. Rejected from Johns Hopkins and UVA. Was sure going to Iowa was going to be an easy decision. I was wrong.

Which way are you leaning?

31 minutes ago, Riverrunner9 said:

I'm curious if anyone has any insight about the conversion rates for wait list-ers. Is there a pretty good chance you'll get in if wait listed? Is it basically a lost cause? If anyone knows where I could read more about the experience of being wait listed--I'd love to check it!

Stay healthy and take care of yourself, y'all! 

The Draft group on Facebook has good insight. I don’t think it’s a lost cause. Several people have stories about getting off waitlists. Stay hopeful.