2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

Got rejected from everywhere for PhD programs, but Brandeis rolled my application over to their Neuroscience Masters and I got accepted immediately. Probably because I was waitlisted there, and there's some kind of fast-track for waitlisted candidates to the master's program - smart on their part! Not exactly what I was hoping for (or even expecting), but hell, I'll take it. Hopefully this means I'll have a better shot 1-2 years from now (depending on if I do a Master's Thesis, which I probably will...).

FWIW: I graduated with a B.S. in psychology with a focus on neuroscience in 2010, and have been a software engineer since 2012. This has been a long and weird path, for sure. But in it for the long haul!

Edited by Neuromaton

15 hours ago, Neuromaton said:

Got rejected from everywhere for PhD programs, but Brandeis rolled my application over to their Neuroscience Masters and I got accepted immediately. Probably because I was waitlisted there, and there's some kind of fast-track for waitlisted candidates to the master's program - smart on their part! Not exactly what I was hoping for (or even expecting), but hell, I'll take it. Hopefully this means I'll have a better shot 1-2 years from now (depending on if I do a Master's Thesis, which I probably will...).

FWIW: I graduated with a B.S. in psychology with a focus on neuroscience in 2010, and have been a software engineer since 2012. This has been a long and weird path, for sure. But in it for the long haul!

Hey I'm non-traditional as well! I graduated undergrad in 2020 but had I gone to college right after highschool I would've graduated in 2011. Did lots of unrelated things in those 10 years before going back to school. I was waitlisted for a long time and was starting to make plans to do a masters, I bet you will have way too many interviews the next time you apply.

• 2 months later...

Hey peeps! Prospective student applying to next cycle here. Does anyone know if Columbia's neuroscience program still requires GRE? Of all the programs I have looked into, Columbia is the most ambivalent on whether GRE is required in the program. Anyone applied last cycle could tell me if that is still required/ optional/ not required? Thanks a lot! (I tried emailing the program but not one replied)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 12:02 AM, Prefrontalvortex said:

I received an interview invite via the phone last week for Yale. Today it received another email from the DEI officer, and in it they mentioned that they received 400 applications this year. I know people are curious about the amount of applications, so just wanted to share

do you know how many interviews they sent out? Trying to figure out the probability of getting admitted after an interview…thanks!