2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

47 minutes ago, neurochurro99 said:

Maybe they are rolling out based on tracks? I applied to the comp neuro. 

Where are people posting their acceptances? 

Afaik, comp neuro vs. neuro aren't really differentiated at the admissions level so I'd guess those aren't rolling. The person that I know that was accepted and given a formal offer doesn't use GradCafe. They're also comp. neuro. track.

They must've just gotten started with offers so I wouldn't be too worried! It definitely seems like it's on a rolling basis otherwise you would've seen something on the Results page. Lord knows everyone here has applied to BU. 

Edited by ManifoldsAreMadeUp

2 minutes ago, neuro2021herewego said:

no idea .. not seeing any on the results list

It's a friend of mines and it was privately communicated. I saw the offer so I know they're not making things up.

I will add that if you and a PI really really hit it off and you want to go to BU above all else but don't receive an offer, inquire with the PI about the BBC program if they are affiliated with PBS. I know of two individuals that were waitlisted for GPN but admitted through BBC as late as March or April (it's psych's direct admit program).

Edited by ManifoldsAreMadeUp

1 hour ago, ManifoldsAreMadeUp said:

It's a friend of mines and it was privately communicated. I saw the offer so I know they're not making things up.

I will add that if you and a PI really really hit it off and you want to go to BU above all else but don't receive an offer, inquire with the PI about the BBC program if they are affiliated with PBS. I know of two individuals that were waitlisted for GPN but admitted through BBC as late as March or April (it's psych's direct admit program).

I messaged the office and they will let you know if you are waitlisted, etc. 

19 hours ago, neurochurro99 said:

I just heard back from Sandra and she says I’ve been waitlisted. It’s better than rejection at least! 

Just heard back from Shelley and she said I am on the next list off offers to be sent out. If anyone got an offer from BU GPN and is planning on declining, please please please go ahead and do so to save my sanity!

2 hours ago, neuromaniac said:

Is anyone planning to visit the PhD programs they got into? I live on the West Coast but only got into programs on the East Coast and am conflicted on whether it's worth it to take a trip to the programs that offered me admission since I have never been to those places before (I am vaccinated).

I completely relate to this ? I probably won't just because it's hard to schedule this with my current workplace, but if it doesn't impact your work, I 100% think it's worth it to go visit each school

On 3/17/2021 at 4:08 PM, neuro2021herewego said:

I messaged the office and they will let you know if you are waitlisted, etc. 

Really? ? I've emailed Shelley/Sandra a couple times now and they haven't responded. Who are you emailing?

1 minute ago, whotfisSarahTonin said:

waitlisted for MIT BCS!

Me too :( I wonder what our chances are for making it off the waitlist. My email seems customized/not generic though. But I could be wrong. 

"The faculty who reviewed your application and met you during the interviews were most impressed with your achievements and your research potential. While you are clearly qualified for the BCS PhD program, due to limited capacity you have been placed on the waiting list for the class starting in September 2021. "

9 minutes ago, j118 said:

Me too :( I wonder what our chances are for making it off the waitlist. My email seems customized/not generic though. But I could be wrong. 

Waitlisted for MIT as well... I got the exactly same email. They said they might notify you by April 17, which is after the April 15 general deadline. Might just choose another school..

13 minutes ago, Eusebius. said:

Waitlisted for MIT as well... I got the exactly same email. They said they might notify you by April 17, which is after the April 15 general deadline. Might just choose another school..

Guess it's a generic email after all. Thanks for confirming. 

Do you guys write back after being waitlisted/rejected? I want to know what to improve on but I'm not sure if asking them is a bad idea. Any advice on whether there's anything we can do while waiting after being waitlisted? 

I wish I applied to more than 3 schools. My POI basically said he wasn't surprised I didn't get into the other schools because I don't have a neuroscience/bio background (I come from an engineering background), but MIT appreciates my background (but clearly not enough since I got waitlisted). 

So, my top choice is MIT and earlier today I was notified that I was awarded the NSF GRFP. The thing is though that I haven't heard back from BCS since submitting my app in December (i.e. no interview). Do you think there is still a chance I'd be admitted given the fellowship?

12 minutes ago, burner said:

So, my top choice is MIT and earlier today I was notified that I was awarded the NSF GRFP. The thing is though that I haven't heard back from BCS since submitting my app in December (i.e. no interview). Do you think there is still a chance I'd be admitted given the fellowship?

Unlikely if you weren't even offered an interview. If you were interviewed and waitlisted it likely would've made the difference, but unlikely if you weren't interviewed. 

25 minutes ago, BabyScientist said:

Unlikely if you weren't even offered an interview. If you were interviewed and waitlisted it likely would've made the difference, but unlikely if you weren't interviewed. 

Well, I thought I had a chance since 2/3 of my recommenders were BCS alums but I guess not. Good luck nonetheless!