2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

9 hours ago, Xuanyu Fang said:

Anybody heard back from Dartmouth Psychological and Brain Sciences yet? It's already March and 1 month after the interview, I was not contacted by PI nor by the committee at all, does that mean I'm probably rejected?

Hi, I got an email last week asking for some clarification about which PI I was interested in because I interviewed with behavioral neuroscience in the PBS program and they only have a four PIs. They said that they haven't made a decision yet and hope to be able to let us know soon. I assume it's the same for all of PBS. Hope that helps, wish I had more information.

3 hours ago, NeuroKween said:

Ugh I definitely don’t feel good if the waitlists are now being sent out :( 

I'm trying to be optimistic, but feel similarly.  At least the person who wrote that did not specify whether a PI or a co-director sent the email (maybe a PI that really wants them wanted to let them know personally).

2 minutes ago, cantbelieveitsnotbutter said:

Haven't heard anything yet but I remember hearing the first week of March decisions might come out, so hopefully soon. What weekend did you interview on? 

I think there was only the one weekend, right? Feb 16-19

1 hour ago, dopamine_machine said:

I'm trying to be optimistic, but feel similarly.  At least the person who wrote that did not specify whether a PI or a co-director sent the email (maybe a PI that really wants them wanted to let them know personally).

I similarly don't feel good about it. It's just very unclear what's going on...

9 hours ago, lnrnlds said:

Hi, I got an email last week asking for some clarification about which PI I was interested in because I interviewed with behavioral neuroscience in the PBS program and they only have a four PIs. They said that they haven't made a decision yet and hope to be able to let us know soon. I assume it's the same for all of PBS. Hope that helps, wish I had more information.

Thanks! Good luck to us both! I'm waiting for the cognitive neuroscience track but I think they probably haven't make any decision yet.

2 minutes ago, Aniso said:

For people who have already got offer, congrats! I am just wondering what is the latest time school wants to hear back? Is March 12th a little bit too early?

Thanks!

Never too early! If enough people respond early, people might get off the waitlist/told that a program will not be taking students off the waitlist earlier.

1 minute ago, dopamine_machine said:

Never too early! If enough people respond early, people might get off the waitlist/told that a program will not be taking students off the waitlist earlier.

Got it, but isn't the common deadline April 15th? I totally understand the frustration people felt, but in the perspective of a student I have just finished interviews so it seems a little bit rushy.

Just now, Aniso said:

Got it, but isn't the common deadline April 15th? I totally understand the frustration people felt, but in the perspective of a student I have just finished interviews so it seems a little bit rushy.

I completely understand and haven't committed yet myself! Only commit when you are 100% sure, whether that is right now, or weeks from now, or even on April 15th if it comes to that!

I'm still waiting to hear back from both UIC and UT Austin and I was wondering if anybody else had heard from them. Those are my top choices, so I'm anxiously awaiting their responses. This might be a shot in the dark, I'm not sure if anybody in this forum applied to these schools.

23 minutes ago, brain_guy said:

As someone who is/has been on waitlists, DON'T WAIT TO SEND IN YOUR ACCEPTANCES! Send them in as early as possible so both the school and the people on the waitlist can make their final decisions!

To add to this, make sure to tell schools you will not be attending. It's super exciting to accept and you'll feel really motivated to do it but make sure to be motivated to let the other schools know your decision so the process can move along for others.

Some programs I interviewed with lately(1~2 weeks ago) said the results will come in 'in couple of weeks'...About how much longer should I wait? This waiting game is so torturous...

43 minutes ago, AOMO9248 said:

Some programs I interviewed with lately(1~2 weeks ago) said the results will come in 'in couple of weeks'...About how much longer should I wait? This waiting game is so torturous...

I heard back from MD Anderson 6 days after my interview (and that included a weekend and a holiday, so 3 business days) and they said expect results in 2 weeks. Dartmouth and A&M both said "about 2 weeks" and I heard back like a month later. 2 weeks can mean a couple days or a month lol. Choosing people and then securing funding takes a lot of time on the school's part, so don't fret! No news is still good news imo ? 

3 hours ago, brain_guy said:

As someone who is/has been on waitlists, DON'T WAIT TO SEND IN YOUR ACCEPTANCES! Send them in as early as possible so both the school and the people on the waitlist can make their final decisions!

I'm someone who is on one wait list and rejected from everywhere else so I am feeling this deeply right now. But, definitely don't think people should rush either.

Edited by actionpotential

Does anyone know the situation with Columbia? Are they still sending out acceptances, or should I just assume bad news if I haven't heard anything yet since the interview?   (particularly the animal models track)

Edited by BrainyLady