2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

Just now, snowbaby said:

Through email! Doesn't seem personalized, but as someone posted above it sounds like one person is making the final decision and sending out offers, so maybe it'll take a while. And thank you and good luck to you too!!

When did you interview? I was 2/11-2/12. Currently refreshing my email like a madman.

40 minutes ago, Immunogenic said:

Haha that's so funny I'm doing the same thing. Looks like the last couple years they sent out post-interview rejections on the same day so at least my refresh button might survive. In 2018 they made applicants wait a week for closure 

I am preparing for a rejection. but I am feeling so bad about it 

Yeah Same. Sinai is exactly what I'm looking for in a grad school. They only exist to improve patient care and that's why I got into science. The only other school I got accepted to seems to focus completely on training career scientists that get paid a lot. This is my second year applying. I'm considering just going with the other school but if Sinai is something you want, you might want to hold out and try again next year. 

10 minutes ago, Sky_china said:

I am preparing for a rejection. but I am feeling so bad about it 

I would  not stress too hard. I still haven't heard back yet either but I am still feeling good bc I know my interviews went really well. One of the PI's that interviewed explicitly stated that he made a strong recommendation to the admissions committee for me. Don't lose hope! It look like they sent out these offers late in to the business day so who knows, could be more tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Z-form DNA said:

I would  not stress too hard. I still haven't heard back yet either but I am still feeling good bc I know my interviews went really well. One of the PI's that interviewed explicitly stated that he made a strong recommendation to the admissions committee for me. Don't lose hope! It look like they sent out these offers late in to the business day so who knows, could be more tomorrow.

I already sent an email to ocononell 

4 minutes ago, Z-form DNA said:

what for? did he get back?

nah I feel its too late. With a rejection from sinai, I am holding a record of 1/8 itnerview to offer. I just seriously want to know if anyting in the interview I was so wrong

5 minutes ago, Sky_china said:

nah I feel its too late. With a rejection from sinai, I am holding a record of 1/8 itnerview to offer. I just seriously want to know if anyting in the interview I was so wrong

Hey. I only got two interviews this year, and got rejected from another already. I am only waiting for this now.

Chill out man. 

If they have their decisions, they'll let us know.

I got invited to 2 interviews out of 14 schools. I completely bombed my first interview at Sinai. I had so much trouble explaining my own research. ?

Sinai interviewed 270 people for 53 positions. People assume that they accept twice as many as they need to account for people accepting other offers so we're twice as likely to get denied after the interview than we are to be accepted. This year is different because of the virus so it might be even worse odds if the labs have less funding and Sinai could be especially affected by that because their stipend is so high. 

Just now, Immunogenic said:

I got invited to 2 interviews out of 14 schools. I completely bombed my first interview at Sinai. I had so much trouble explaining my own research. ?

Sinai interviewed 270 people for 53 positions. People assume that they accept twice as many as they need to account for people accepting other offers so we're twice as likely to get denied after the interview than we are to be accepted. This year is different because of the virus so it might be even worse odds if the labs have less funding and Sinai could be especially affected by that because their stipend is so high. 

Where are you getting that 53/270 figure? On their site, they report total grad applicants as masters + certificate + phd as one group. Typically if they have ~50 matriculated, I would imagine they accept closer to 2x. 

5 minutes ago, Immunogenic said:

They told us they were interviewing 270 people. They have 311 PhD students I estimated between 5.5 and 6 years to complete a PhD ~53 open seats per year if nothing else changes. 

Interesting. I interviewed with Sinai 2019 Fall, they said they are expecting 43~~45 pre cohort. with around 9 people from each MTS and they have 3 interview dates with 9 people each. SO i figured its 2/3 chance. I guess its become much more competitive this time around 

Regardless, I find it odd that they started sending out decisions at the end of the day today. No point in over-stressing their process of notifying everyone when this year has been different than the past when it comes to interview dates and such. Who knows what news could come in the mail this week!

Just now, illfigureitoutlater said:

I have a general question. Is it weird to accept an offer right away (two days post-acceptance) if you know you want to join the program? I’ve basically made my decision, but technically I’m waiting on one more admissions decision since I just had my interview last week. 

I personally am waiting to hear from all of my programs before making a decision, but if you are 100% confident in this program, I say go ahead! All of your programs will appreciate it since you are securing a spot at the program you like the best and will go to and also be telling other programs that you will not be taking one of their spots (makes it easier to roll people off of waitlists prior to the April 15th deadline).

Just now, dopamine_machine said:

I personally am waiting to hear from all of my programs before making a decision, but if you are 100% confident in this program, I say go ahead! All of your programs will appreciate it since you are securing a spot at the program you like the best and will go to and also be telling other programs that you will not be taking one of their spots (makes it easier to roll people off of waitlists prior to the April 15th deadline).

Thank you! I will be hearing back from the last program this week so it doesn’t hurt to wait I guess haha. It’s hard to phrase emails to prospective mentors that have reached out from the school I want to attend though. 

2 hours ago, illfigureitoutlater said:

I have a general question. Is it weird to accept an offer right away (two days post-acceptance) if you know you want to join the program? I’ve basically made my decision, but technically I’m waiting on one more admissions decision since I just had my interview last week. 

Nope. I know someone who accepted the offer immediately when they got the call from the program director.

5 hours ago, Z-form DNA said:

Regardless, I find it odd that they started sending out decisions at the end of the day today. No point in over-stressing their process of notifying everyone when this year has been different than the past when it comes to interview dates and such. Who knows what news could come in the mail this week!

I just received a waitlist email...  This is honestly killing me ! 

I got denied ?. Out of all 14 schools I applied to, Sinai was the only one that really felt like exactly what I was looking for in a grad school. Definitely want to try and do a post-doc there or something in the future.