2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

1 hour ago, NeuroKween said:

does anyone know when the semester starts for NB&B, Columbia? 

My grad student host told me they usually start their bootcamp at the end of August. 

Does anyone know when acceptances/rejections start rolling out? I saw someone say Feb. 19th but is that an official date they got from admins or just a guess?

53 minutes ago, Neuronancer said:

My grad student host told me they usually start their bootcamp at the end of August. 

Does anyone know when acceptances/rejections start rolling out? I saw someone say Feb. 19th but is that an official date they got from admins or just a guess?

I received an email that told me that decisions are made on the 15th, so it would make sense that they start to roll out on the 19th/20th! 

3 minutes ago, astrocytic said:

any tips on how to calm down the day before/day of your first interview?? i'm panicking!!!!

I rehearsed the most common and difficult anticipated interview questions multiple times with different people.

15 minutes ago, astrocytic said:

any tips on how to calm down the day before/day of your first interview?? i'm panicking!!!!

Get a good night sleep, eat well, do something first thing in the morning before your interview like reading a newspaper or running, hopefully by now you've tested your internet connection/zoom to make sure there are no tech issues the day of. Also remember if they invited you for an interview, it is because they are already thinking about offering you admission, good luck!

3 minutes ago, grapefruitenthusiast said:

Get a good night sleep, eat well, do something first thing in the morning before your interview like reading a newspaper or running, hopefully by now you've tested your internet connection/zoom to make sure there are no tech issues the day of. Also remember if they invited you for an interview, it is because they are already thinking about offering you admission, good luck!

don't eat after 5pm the day before to maximize deep sleep.

Edited by lowestprime

3 minutes ago, grapefruitenthusiast said:

thank you so much! ?

6 minutes ago, anxiousinneuro said:

Any idea when we'll hear from GPN at the University of Minnesota?

I was wondering that too because it's been almost 3 weeks since their interview weekend. It was the biggest group they've ever interviewed so might be why it's taking them so long?

Hey, I've been lurking on this forum throughout this application cycle and I just had a few things to say:

CMU PNC/Systems Neuro. interview invites and interview events have all been completed. Final decisions are being sent in the next few weeks. 

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back from NIH OxCam? I feel that the program leadership/faculty interactions I had during the interview events went quite well, but I bombed the interview (last week). Very much an outsider to the normal biomedical track, but I honestly have come to see this program as my top choice after the interview events. Any insights as to when decisions are released for OxCam or other GPP programs would very much be appreciated!

2 hours ago, neurochurro99 said:

Who did you receive the email from? I haven't heard anything since the interview weekend in January. 

I got an email from Darcy a week after my interview saying this: 

“I'm writing to let you know that the Systems Admissions Committee for NB&B at Columbia was impressed by your application and reports on your interviews. Our second open house is February 12th so we are going to wait until we can meet the week of the 15th to make final decisions on offers of Admission.”

so I guess we should know soon!

Congrats to those who have gotten interviews and acceptances!

I ended up not getting a single interview this year which is super disheartening....

I'm starting to think about how to improve my application for the next cycle. I want to email the schools I applied to if they could tell me ways my app was lacking/ways to improve? I'm not sure how receptive programs would be to this. Are there any other ways that I can try to find out what to do better?

I think the things holding me back are that I have an average, but not outstanding, GPA (~3.5) but closer to 3.2 in my bio classes and I never got close to a professor as an undergrad (I'm currently 2 yrs out of school, working as a tech). Is the fact that I didn't have a professor write a letter for me this time what completely dinged me out? 

Any advice and tips would be super helpful! 

13 hours ago, neuronerd65 said:

Congrats to those who have gotten interviews and acceptances!

I ended up not getting a single interview this year which is super disheartening....

I'm starting to think about how to improve my application for the next cycle. I want to email the schools I applied to if they could tell me ways my app was lacking/ways to improve? I'm not sure how receptive programs would be to this. Are there any other ways that I can try to find out what to do better?

I think the things holding me back are that I have an average, but not outstanding, GPA (~3.5) but closer to 3.2 in my bio classes and I never got close to a professor as an undergrad (I'm currently 2 yrs out of school, working as a tech). Is the fact that I didn't have a professor write a letter for me this time what completely dinged me out? 

Any advice and tips would be super helpful! 

If you are working as a tech, did you have your PI write you a letter?  That would likely hold more weight than one from an undergrad professor you werent close with.  I used one undergrad prof who liked a paper I wrote in his class my senior year and then two PIs I worked with/collaborated with as a technician.  I think those letters were far more important.  [Yes, I had a successful app cycle :)].  Keep your head up!  DM me with any other questions, I'd love to help. 

19 hours ago, NeuroKween said:

I got an email from Darcy a week after my interview saying this: 

“I'm writing to let you know that the Systems Admissions Committee for NB&B at Columbia was impressed by your application and reports on your interviews. Our second open house is February 12th so we are going to wait until we can meet the week of the 15th to make final decisions on offers of Admission.”

so I guess we should know soon!

Hmm I'm wondering if I didn't receive that email if I can already count myself out. At least we'll know soon!