2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

Yesterday was the best day ever! I accepted into Boston University's GPN and received the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship! Can't wait to start working towards my PhD in Computational Neuroscience in the fall!

To everyone still waiting to hear back or who are currently waitlisted at their top choice, don't give up or let it get you down! Even if you don't get in to your top choice (or any where this application cycle), take consolidation that between university budget cuts, the amount of students who deferred a year last cycle, and the waiving of the GRE requirements, this was one of the toughest grad application cycles in probably the past decade and thankfully it is almost over!

The fact that you are on this forum means you are invested in your career in neuroscience and I have no doubt that you will succeed no matter what obstacles are thrown your way! 

2 hours ago, neurochurro99 said:

Yesterday was the best day ever! I accepted into Boston University's GPN and received the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship! Can't wait to start working towards my PhD in Computational Neuroscience in the fall!

To everyone still waiting to hear back or who are currently waitlisted at their top choice, don't give up or let it get you down! Even if you don't get in to your top choice (or any where this application cycle), take consolidation that between university budget cuts, the amount of students who deferred a year last cycle, and the waiving of the GRE requirements, this was one of the toughest grad application cycles in probably the past decade and thankfully it is almost over!

The fact that you are on this forum means you are invested in your career in neuroscience and I have no doubt that you will succeed no matter what obstacles are thrown your way! 

So happy for you!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! You're on to do amazing things :)

21 hours ago, neurochurro99 said:

I really really hope BU comes through on my end! fingers crossed!

if anyone has been accepted and doesn't want to go, I personally would send you flowers if you declined haha!

Edited by neuro2021herewego

On 3/18/2021 at 12:10 PM, neuromaniac said:

Is anyone planning to visit the PhD programs they got into? I live on the West Coast but only got into programs on the East Coast and am conflicted on whether it's worth it to take a trip to the programs that offered me admission since I have never been to those places before (I am vaccinated).

I definitely visited my top three choices. It helped with my decision, because I also haven't ever lived in the east coast, and had  never visited a place. It also gave me a chance to meet with some students or professors that I connected with during the virtual interview. I was not allowed to go into the campus buildings, but at least I got the chance to see it from the outside, and walk around the neighborhoods/campus area I would live in. If you can make the time, I think it was worth it for me. 

52 minutes ago, 4sdch said:

I definitely visited my top three choices. It helped with my decision, because I also haven't ever lived in the east coast, and had  never visited a place. It also gave me a chance to meet with some students or professors that I connected with during the virtual interview. I was not allowed to go into the campus buildings, but at least I got the chance to see it from the outside, and walk around the neighborhoods/campus area I would live in. If you can make the time, I think it was worth it for me. 

Which school did you choose?

On 3/25/2021 at 8:52 AM, neuro2021herewego said:

I really really hope BU comes through on my end! fingers crossed!

if anyone has been accepted and doesn't want to go, I personally would send you flowers if you declined haha!

Does this offer still stand? I made an account just for the flowers...

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.53.26 PM.png

On 3/27/2021 at 10:40 PM, Elephantonly said:

Which school did you choose?

I chose Harvard PiN! I'm excited and scared but mostly excited. I want to focus on celebrating the decision before planning some logistics to move and whatnot you know?

On 4/2/2021 at 11:10 PM, actionpotential said:

Drexel accepted me off the wait list! Yayyyyy

Congratulations!! I accepted the offer from Drexel too

On 3/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, PegDanson said:

Anyone applied to UMaryland Baltimore? Been told I'm at the top of the list for their next round of acceptances..........any thoughts on if I'll actually get accepted are very welcome........?

can anybody comfort me...plz...it's my last school that hasn't rejected me. Idc if you haven't applied there ?

47 minutes ago, Elephantonly said:

What are the chances of getting off a waitlist at this point?

no way to know but you only have 8 more days until people have to make their decision! i was only taken off a wait list 5 days ago.

14 hours ago, izthewhiz said:

Ugh y’all! 3 different schools, loved them all. Different feels at each. Anyone know anything about U.Cincinnati, Wake Forest, & Marquette for neuroscience/pharmacology? Research interest is in addiction & reward. 

I don't personally know about those programs but thats my research interest as well! Maybe if you love them all, either choose the one with the most labs you'd be interested in (for possible fall back) or just go straight for prestige. Or go by pure feeling, draw a random one and if you're immediately like "YES" or "oh damn, I wanted this other one" pick that way.

Edited by actionpotential

1 hour ago, actionpotential said:

Its April 15th! What programs did everyone decide on? 

Happy April 15th! We're finally done with this cycle! applying during the pandemic put a new level of stress on top of one of the biggest decisions we'll make anyway. Without being able to visit schools and interview in person, I've definitely leaned on y'all for information, so thank you :) congratulations to everyone regardless of acceptances, we all made it through and came out of this stronger. 

I'm headed to MD Anderson! if any of y'all are too, message me!