Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

48 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

Is this how faculty hierarchy works in terms of who gets to take on a student? If a professor "higher up" in the list makes an offer that gets declined, then a faculty member "further down" in the list gets to make their offer? always been curious. thank u!!

I believe the higher up professor can continue to make offers until they exhaust their waitlist before the next professor is able to make an offer. This is all dependent on the school, though!

1 hour ago, plantgirl96 said:

Is this how faculty hierarchy works in terms of who gets to take on a student? If a professor "higher up" in the list makes an offer that gets declined, then a faculty member "further down" in the list gets to make their offer? always been curious. thank u!!

We talked out this in our most recent faculty meeting. At our program, each faculty makes their own ranked list of applicants they want to admit. If their first choice declines, the offer moves to the same faculty's second choice. And so on, all the way down their list. So there's not one global wait list, but rather a bunch of faculty-specific wait lists. Just know that every program operates differently, so this may not be true at all for the next program.

13 minutes ago, akt5c said:

We talked out this in our most recent faculty meeting. At our program, each faculty makes their own ranked list of applicants they want to admit. If their first choice declines, the offer moves to the same faculty's second choice. And so on, all the way down their list. So there's not one global wait list, but rather a bunch of faculty-specific wait lists. Just know that every program operates differently, so this may not be true at all for the next program.

Mine is a mix. Some people have 3-4 applicants on a personal waitlist and will exhaust that if necessary. Some people only want to offer to one of their interviewees so if that person does not accept the slot opens up and another faculty member can have it (possibly taking 2 students if they've already extended another offer). It's definitely going to be school-specific. We tend to favor junior people and folks who have grant-funded slots to fill but it's really not a big fight and most people take a student most years.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, PsychProf said:

It’s not to be sadistic, I promise! We reject people we feel sure we won’t admit early-ish (Jan) but hold on to apps for 50ish more people than we invite to interview just in case we decide to go back into our pool and interview more. I don’t know if everyone does it this way, though. The waitlist folks aren’t notified of their status and may not get a form letter rejection until we complete our class (March-April).

How many people would you say are generally invited to official interviews per mentor vs invited to preliminary interviews?

29 minutes ago, Applicanthopeful said:

How many people would you say are generally invited to official interviews per mentor vs invited to preliminary interviews?

Not everyone does preliminary interviews and the number is pretty variable. I personally interviewed fewer than a dozen in my preliminary interviews for a single slot. We usually shoot for about 4 applicants per slot to official interviews (so usually 4 applicants per mentor but if a mentor wants to take more than one in a year then they may invite more).

Need some advice--I reached out to the DCT for an update on my admissions status following interviews (during interview day he said to reach out to him) and was informed that I was a high alternate. I haven't talked to my POI since the post-interview email, and was wondering if I should also send them an email to say I'm still interested? I'm unsure how to word it, as I still want to express my interest without coming across as too much! Any insight would be appreciated! 

28 minutes ago, psychllady14 said:

Has anybody heard from Drexel post-interview? I saw someone listed an acceptance on the results page, but I was told that it would likely take about 2 weeks for them to finalize offers.. It's my top choice so I'm definitely anxious!

I'm wondering about this too. The post was about my PI, but the poster said they were accepted on the 13th, and on the 14th the same PI emailed me to say decisions would be made by the 26th so...I'm confused. 

32 minutes ago, silvicultrix said:

I'm wondering about this too. The post was about my PI, but the poster said they were accepted on the 13th, and on the 14th the same PI emailed me to say decisions would be made by the 26th so...I'm confused. 

Don't believe everything you see on the results page. Trolls gonna troll. 

I applied to the SDSU/UCSD JDP and assumed that I am rejected as I wasn't invited for an interview in early February. But I haven't received the official rejection email either (seems like they are sending in batches). I checked the online application site and noticed that my admission status has changed to "Department Reviewing File for Program Eligibility" on February 16th.  Has anyone else seen this update? 

20 minutes ago, psychap15 said:

Does anyone know how many people are typically placed on William Paterson's waitlist, and the chances of being accepted off of it? Thank you!!

Admissions stats can be found here. However, it's a little hard to tell, since it looks like the number of applicants and offers has increased significantly from last year compared compared years prior. I would expect that the numbers this year would be closer to last year's. 

1 minute ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Admissions stats can be found here. However, it's a little hard to tell, since it looks like the number of applicants and offers has increased significantly from last year compared compared years prior. I would expect that the numbers this year would be closer to last year's. 

Thanks, I hope so! I saw some acceptances went out today, but based on last year a decent amount got in off the waitlist so I guess there's still a chance!

So it's looking like I am not going to get offers at the schools I interviewed with this year and will likely have to apply again next fall. I'd like to reapply to a couple of the programs where I interviewed. Any advice for asking the PI for feedback about how I can become a more competitive applicant for next year? I want to get a sense of whether I would have a shot with them next year or whether they don't think I'm a good fit for them in general.

9 hours ago, silvicultrix said:

I also had the same experience with this PI. I'm thinking if the post by the person who got accepted on the 13th is legit, this person may not have accepted immediately, which is what prompted the PI to respond to us on the 14th. Just tough to know which posts are fake or not ? best of luck to you this cycle!

Freaking out because two people posted acceptances to UNC Greensboro (NOT my POIs) and I haven't heard anything yet, and am starting to assume rejection. Someone please say something to make me feel better >.<