Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

17 hours ago, HopefullyAccepted said:

Interview to Nova Southeastern University. FINALLY! does anyone have any information on the types of interview questions this schools asks?

I did an interview for the early deadline. The professor they paired me with had absolutely no common clinical or research  interests with me, which sort of bothered me. She asked about why clinical psychology, why Nova specifically, research interests, etc. Very soft-ball questions. And then most of the time was spent with me asking questions so make sure you have plenty prepared. They have you do break out rooms with students where you ask more questions. You’ll do a group activity with other applicants and you’ll have to write a short blurb about what the future of psychology would look like. TBH, I got accepted but I’m declining the offer. Absolutely no funding, not even if you TA/RA, and it’s in an incredibly expensive town. Plus your cohort is like 98 people...it just feels like a total diploma factory unfortunately. To each their own of course, but the debt and non-individualized attention is not for me.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:09 AM, psychster said:

So, last year I applied to a PI who did plan to accept me and even verbally offered BUT she was poached to a better university and due to her leaving/pandemic delaying her move, she was unable to accept that year. I applied this year to the NEW university, and did not receive an interview invitation. I was waitlisted to interview, but honestly I was quite shocked considering our email correspondence, and I had significantly more experience this year two. It just goes to show PIs change their minds and universities may have input too. Don't put your eggs in any one basket expecting to be remembered. I am glad I still applied to 15 schools instead of banking on this PI. 

Oh man! That's quite a story, thank you for sharing and I'm glad you cast a wide net!

How does everyone feel about e-mailed a PI, who you've had several good conversations with and have a good relationship with, to ask about what position you are on, on the waitlist?

I just got waitlisted at my first choice. PI wrote back post-interview saying I was an incredible applicant and that decisions would be made soon. I thought that was a good sign. Then today, I was notified via generic e-mail from the department that I was placed on the waitlist "Don't take this as a rejection we typically accept applicants off the waitlist every year" and so on. However, no information as to where I am positioned on that waitlist. I know that my PI interviewed 5 people. Given that I have a good relationship with this PI, is it fine to shoot an e-mail saying "Patiently waiting and hoping that a spot opens up. Would love to attend this program. Do you have any insight as to where I am positioned on the waitlist?".

In these forums, some say don't do that while others say it's totally acceptable. 

Appreciate any advice anyone may have. 

This is definitely a difficult pill to swallow. 

Anyone have any advice for not freaking out post-interviews? I'm not a very good interviewer. I recieved 5 interviews this cycle and I honestly don't think I'm going to be first choice for any of these programs :( I just really don't want to have to go through this whole process again next year.

Edited by NotYourMothersGrad

8 minutes ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

Anyone have any advice for not freaking out post-interviews? I'm not a very good interviewer. I recieved 5 interviews this cycle and I honestly don't think I'm going to be first choice for any of these programs :( I just really don't want to have to go through this whole process again next year.

I've been worried about the exact same thing. I'm awful at interviews and terrified of getting rejected from everywhere I interviewed at. I wish I had some actual advice for you but just know you're not alone! Even people who are great at interviews get rejected all the time, which just goes to show that a lot of these decisions are completely out of our control and have nothing to with our intelligence and worth

2 minutes ago, spring2000 said:

I've been worried about the exact same thing. I'm awful at interviews and terrified of getting rejected from everywhere I interviewed at. I wish I had some actual advice for you but just know you're not alone! Even people who are great at interviews get rejected all the time, which just goes to show that a lot of these decisions are completely out of our control and have nothing to with our intelligence and worth

Thanks, I appreciate that. What makes you think you aren't good at interviews?

17 hours ago, Desperateforacceptance said:

Do you think they sent all interview invites? I know this is the last interview date and I didn't get an email...

Hey! I'm also applying to Nova's program and I haven't received an interview. I spoke with admissions today and they told me that they will still be extending interviews this week and the following.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, ohno88 said:

I did an interview for the early deadline. The professor they paired me with had absolutely no common clinical or research  interests with me, which sort of bothered me. She asked about why clinical psychology, why Nova specifically, research interests, etc. Very soft-ball questions. And then most of the time was spent with me asking questions so make sure you have plenty prepared. They have you do break out rooms with students where you ask more questions. You’ll do a group activity with other applicants and you’ll have to write a short blurb about what the future of psychology would look like. TBH, I got accepted but I’m declining the offer. Absolutely no funding, not even if you TA/RA, and it’s in an incredibly expensive town. Plus your cohort is like 98 people...it just feels like a total diploma factory unfortunately. To each their own of course, but the debt and non-individualized attention is not for me.

Thanks for the information! Do they make you write a statement during the interview? I have no idea what to write!! Lol. It does suck that psyd programs rarely offer any funding. I applied to 13 programs and this was the only school where I received an interview invite so I don’t have much of a choice! 

7 minutes ago, HopefullyAccepted said:

Thanks for the information! Do they make you write a statement during the interview? I have no idea what to write!! Lol. It does suck that psyd programs rarely offer any funding. I applied to 13 programs and this was the only school where I received an interview invite so I don’t have much of a choice! 

You write it during your break or right after the interviews end, there’s a deadline. I wrote about tele-health becoming more mainstream, expanding our knowledge about mental illnesses and how to best treat them, decreasing stigmatization around mental illness, etc. I understand, I applied to 10 programs and NSU might be my only acceptance. I’d rather just try again and potentially get into a much better program with a small cohort and funding. The amount of debt that I would accrue at NSU would not be justified by the income I would make as a psychologist or even a professor.   

51 minutes ago, chels_sire said:

Hey! I'm also applying to Nova's program and I haven't received an interview. I spoke with admissions today and they told me that they will still be extending interviews this week and the following.

Good luck!

Did you just talk to them today? I sent them an email and waiting for a response... very anxious :(

1 hour ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. What makes you think you aren't good at interviews?

I have pretty bad anxiety so I feel like I come off as very unconfident and reserved in interviews. Hopefully, the rest of my application can make up for that but I'm definitely prepared to apply again if this cycle doesn't work out

Edited by spring2000

48 minutes ago, kch16 said:

I just released my interview spot at Nova. No funding just won't work for me. I hope someone else gets some good news soon!

How do you go about releasing an interview slot? I have one I'd like to release, it's not a good fit for me. But I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to release, or how I should go about that.

8 minutes ago, babyyoda said:

How do you go about releasing an interview slot? I have one I'd like to release, it's not a good fit for me. But I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to release, or how I should go about that.

I just sent an email to the contact provided informing them that I am unable to attend (no specific reason) and that I hope my spot was released to someone else

2 hours ago, Desperateforacceptance said:

Did you just talk to them today? I sent them an email and waiting for a response... very anxious :(

Yes, I spoke with them today. I called them rather than email, as I feel I would get a faster response. I suggest for you to call them directly, and see if they can provide you with any update on your application.

4 hours ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

This doesn’t help with the feelings about reapplying, but I have something that helps me to be nice to myself rather than self critical. For most schools, getting an interview means you’re qualified and a good applicant. It’s just about fit and personality from that point.  Five interviews means you’re hecka desirable as an applicant! Hope this helps a little :)

5 hours ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

How does everyone feel about e-mailed a PI, who you've had several good conversations with and have a good relationship with, to ask about what position you are on, on the waitlist?

I just got waitlisted at my first choice. PI wrote back post-interview saying I was an incredible applicant and that decisions would be made soon. I thought that was a good sign. Then today, I was notified via generic e-mail from the department that I was placed on the waitlist "Don't take this as a rejection we typically accept applicants off the waitlist every year" and so on. However, no information as to where I am positioned on that waitlist. I know that my PI interviewed 5 people. Given that I have a good relationship with this PI, is it fine to shoot an e-mail saying "Patiently waiting and hoping that a spot opens up. Would love to attend this program. Do you have any insight as to where I am positioned on the waitlist?".

In these forums, some say don't do that while others say it's totally acceptable. 

Appreciate any advice anyone may have. 

This is definitely a difficult pill to swallow. 

I'd email the PI. I'm of the camp that we have a right to know. I've also never encountered a PI that isn't willing to provide clarification!