Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

4 hours ago, plantgirl96 said:

I know that applicants have until April 15 to make official decisions, but when do most applicants typically make a decision by (or will make a decision by this cycle since everything is different this time around)? I also hear ur not supposed to hold on to more than one offer at a time to spots can be released if the applicant isn't interested... I've been waitlisted at my top program so I'm just trying to gauge when I'll know for sure ?

I wouldn’t give up until after April 15th! Some people wait until close to the deadline to decline an offer. For example, I am currently waitlisted at my top choice school but I got an offer from another program. I am not going to respond to that offer until I know for sure whether or not I will get into my top choice program (which I might not know until late March or even April, depending on when the other applicant responds to the first offer). I have a friend who got in off a waitlist on March 26th last year at a school where he hadn’t even been invited to official interviews. I don’t know how common it is at the places where you’ve applied, but it is definitely possible to get in from a waitlist.

6 minutes ago, raindr0p said:

I wouldn’t give up until after April 15th! Some people wait until close to the deadline to decline an offer. For example, I am currently waitlisted at my top choice school but I got an offer from another program. I am not going to respond to that offer until I know for sure whether or not I will get into my top choice program (which I might not know until late March or even April, depending on when the other applicant responds to the first offer). I have a friend who got in off a waitlist on March 26th last year at a school where he hadn’t even been invited to official interviews. I don’t know how common it is at the places where you’ve applied, but it is definitely possible to get in from a waitlist.

blekh, historically at my school only abt 50% of offers get accepted (meaning that ppl are often accepted off the wailist), and I'm first in line to get an offer if one spot opens up. I'm just anxious since I'm not sure what to expect just bc this application year has been so crazy-- if all goes as usual there's a good chance i'll get an offer, but i have to wait if enough ppl decline to see if a spot opens up ?

Edited by plantgirl96

1 hour ago, Maybe2021 said:

For those of you who received invites from St. John's, when is interview day? I haven't heard anything from them yet and wondering if I should assume a rejection is coming my way soon :)

it's more like interview week. i have an interview with one faculty member tomorrow and another friday. there are more clinic tours and Q&As next week as well I want to say

8 minutes ago, Balletgirl91 said:

Is it normal for a program to not have sent you a schedule for the interview days 24 hours before? 

Definitely reach out if you don't have it by the afternoon before!!!

For my first interview I didn't get a schedule and was too nervous to ask and assumed we would just get one morning of, buuuut i got to the first session and realized they had sent one to everyone else and forgot to send mine!!! So I could not prepare for each person I was talking to before hand |: 

2 hours ago, Balletgirl91 said:

Is it normal for a program to not have sent you a schedule for the interview days 24 hours before? 

Is this for UW? I'm waiting to get my schedule from them as well if so. I reached out and they said they would get it to us sometime today (interview is tomorrow).

I would reach out to your PI/anyone else you've been in contact with for sure!

Has anybody heard from SDSU/UCSD's joint program post interview? I saw one accepted post, but it was so soon after the interview days that I'm not sure if it means all offers have gone out (maybe just wishful thinking). I'm trying to wait a little longer before bothering my PI since it was only last week.

1 hour ago, rainbow56 said:

Is this for UW? I'm waiting to get my schedule from them as well if so. I reached out and they said they would get it to us sometime today (interview is tomorrow).

I would reach out to your PI/anyone else you've been in contact with for sure!

No it’s for a different program. They ending up sending it. I just wasn’t sure if that was normal. Thanks!

1 hour ago, freud_anti said:

Has anybody heard from SDSU/UCSD's joint program post interview? I saw one accepted post, but it was so soon after the interview days that I'm not sure if it means all offers have gone out (maybe just wishful thinking). I'm trying to wait a little longer before bothering my PI since it was only last week.

I was told from my PI that all offers went out last week. That doesn’t mean you’re not on the waitlist though so keep the faith!

6 hours ago, raindr0p said:

Are most schools pretty good about notifying a person on the waitlist, if the applicant ahead of them accepts the offer before April 15th? Or have some experienced being left in the dark until April 15th, even if the candidate ahead of them accepted long before then? I am the first alternate on a waitlist at my top choice, and can't seem to stop myself from wondering if they will tell me right away if the candidate ahead of me accepts the slot. 

Edited by EyelandPychePhD

Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was accepted to a program which is requiring a deposit by March 1st. However, I still have a few more ongoing interviews before I'm able to make any final decisions. I was able to get an extension for the deposit date to March 15th, but am just confused given the April 15th national deadline? I appreciate any clarity anyone can provide. ?

25 minutes ago, caffeinated_n_stressed said:

Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was accepted to a program which is requiring a deposit by March 1st. However, I still have a few more ongoing interviews before I'm able to make any final decisions. I was able to get an extension for the deposit date to March 15th, but am just confused given the April 15th national deadline? I appreciate any clarity anyone can provide. ?

1st off, congrats!! Where were you accepted?

2nd, that seems super sketchy! Have you mentioned the April 15th deadline to them and did they say why they pushed it forward? How. much is the deposit? Part of me wants to tell you to pay the fee and risk losing it if you get a better offer

1 minute ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

This may have already been talked about but does anyone have advice or a template on what to write to a PI to follow up after an interview? I was told I'd hear about her decisions this week but haven't heard anything yet

Someone shared this with me:

Dear Dr. XXVV,

Thank you again for the opportunity to interview at Ohio University a few weeks ago. I remain very interested in the program and would greatly appreciate any updates regarding my application status!  Thank you,

your name

But I would wait until a solid 2/3 weeks until after the final interview date to follow up and ask for an update.

I did some research on programs asking for deposits and decisions before the April 15 deadline. 

It seems that most universities are part of the Council of Graduate Schools agreement which specifies that offers with funding have a deadline of April 15. I think PsyD programs are less likely to be part of this agreement, and if your offer has no funding associated with it, then it seems programs can ask for a decision (and deposit) before April 15. The general opinion seems to be that programs that ask for deposits and decisions prior to the 4/15 deadline are more concerned with revenue and less concerned with students' needs.  I have never known an accredited PhD program to ask for a deposit or a decision before 4/15, but I have seen many postings about PsyD programs asking for both. Here is a link with more info:

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution-frequently-asked-questions

22 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

The way that it will probably work is Professors A, B, and C get first pick. Let's say the student who is offered a spot with Professor A declines, then Professor D gets to extend an offer to their 1st choice. 

Is this how faculty hierarchy works in terms of who gets to take on a student? If a professor "higher up" in the list makes an offer that gets declined, then a faculty member "further down" in the list gets to make their offer? always been curious. thank u!!

14 hours ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

Are most schools pretty good about notifying a person on the waitlist, if the applicant ahead of them accepts the offer before April 15th? Or have some experienced being left in the dark until April 15th, even if the candidate ahead of them accepted long before then? I am the first alternate on a waitlist at my top choice, and can't seem to stop myself from wondering if they will tell me right away if the candidate ahead of me accepts the slot. 

I think they would tell you as soon as they can! my PI gave me updates the second she heard from the rest of the faculty abt my position for getting an offer off the waitlist. I don't think they'd keep you in the dark if they had important info to tell u (at least I wouldn't except my potential program to work like this based on how great their communication has been in the past). Hope this helps! 

On 2/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, plantgirl96 said:

I know that applicants have until April 15 to make official decisions, but when do most applicants typically make a decision by (or will make a decision by this cycle since everything is different this time around)? I also hear ur not supposed to hold on to more than one offer at a time to spots can be released if the applicant isn't interested... I've been waitlisted at my top program so I'm just trying to gauge when I'll know for sure ?

This is for a different field of psychology but if you applied to programs that do not have guaranteed funding (but still have a good track record of finding it) some applicants may be waiting to hear if they ended up getting an assistantship or fellowship they applied for. 

In my case I am waiting to hear back from both Indiana University and Ohio State about funding and without knowing that I cannot make a good decision about rejecting one over the other. 

Best of luck!

42 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

Is this how faculty hierarchy works in terms of who gets to take on a student? If a professor "higher up" in the list makes an offer that gets declined, then a faculty member "further down" in the list gets to make their offer? always been curious. thank u!!

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I believe so, particularly in the situation PP described in which I believe 7 faculty interviewed students but only 3 spots are available. The faculty hierarchy is what is most likely variable, as someone still pursuing tenure may be higher up for taking a student than someone who is closer to retirement, etc.