Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

interviewed with Ohio University a few weeks back. Prof said I'd hear back probably by Monday of last week. I saw someone posted that they got accepted around that time. At what point can I email the professor and ask for an update? I am very much assuming rejection at this point so I don't know if it's even worth emailing him but what do I have to lose? 

Anyone here also interviewing with Adelphi tomorrow? I haven't received the detailed schedule, and I'm worried they forgot to email it to me or something. I emailed the graduate studies coordinator who sent me the original invite but haven't heard back. Interview day starts at 10am tomorrow.

Edited by Maybe2021

For anyone who interviewed with EMU, a faculty member told me that admission notifications may be delayed because the university is closed today so they may not have their faculty meeting. Just a heads up! :)

Edit: Got an email confirming this - they will meet Thursday to make decisions instead!

Edited by chickenlover12

2 hours ago, clinicalpsychphd2021 said:

Does anyone know when Northwestern plans to reach out about their MA program if you asked to be considered? Even though I didn't get an interview for PhD programs I've been accepted to other MA programs and need to start making decisions in about 3 weeks 

From what I know in past rounds, Northwestern might wait until they know which of their PhD slots are filled before knowing how many MA students they can take. I know someone 2-3 years ago who received an offer to the MA program on April 15. Most master's programs also honor the April 15 deadline, but check with all your offers.

19 minutes ago, missmusical said:

interviewed with Ohio University a few weeks back. Prof said I'd hear back probably by Monday of last week. I saw someone posted that they got accepted around that time. At what point can I email the professor and ask for an update? I am very much assuming rejection at this point so I don't know if it's even worth emailing him but what do I have to lose? 

I think it's fine to reach out to politely inquire about your status and express your continued interest in the program. I would not assume rejection until you actually get notification of rejection. It is more likely that you are on a waitlist. Unfortunately, for reasons I do not understand, some programs do not notify applicants that they are on a waitlist. But if you reach out about your status, they will hopefully let you know that. something simple like this -

Dear Dr. XXVV,

Thank you again for the opportunity to interview at Ohio University a few weeks ago. I remain very interested in the program and would greatly appreciate any updates regarding my application status!  Thank you,

your name

For folks stressing about whether to reach out post-interview- As a faculty member, I usually appreciate knowing who is still interested and eager to hear from us! Sometimes folks who we waitlisted are actually planning to accept elsewhere and don't necessarily notify us, so I actually think it has the potential to benefit you if you indicate that you are very interested and are hoping to hear positive news. Obviously give them until a little bit past when they said they might notify you, but don't worry about seeming TOO interested in a program. If it's going to be a no it will be a no, but if it's between you and someone who hasn't reached out for the next offer, then knowing that you are definitely interested could help! If there's an admissions coordinator you can ask them, or else your potential PI.

4 hours ago, Ary21 said:

Has anyone heard from James Madison Univ. (JMU)? Their deadline for sending out invites/rejections has now passed and I'm guessing there are delays but I wanted to check in case anyone has called already and/or has heard from them...

I was informed that their interview day is currently scheduled for 2/26. 

19 minutes ago, DrApple said:

I think it's fine to reach out to politely inquire about your status and express your continued interest in the program. I would not assume rejection until you actually get notification of rejection. It is more likely that you are on a waitlist. Unfortunately, for reasons I do not understand, some programs do not notify applicants that they are on a waitlist. But if you reach out about your status, they will hopefully let you know that. something simple like this -

Dear Dr. XXVV,

Thank you again for the opportunity to interview at Ohio University a few weeks ago. I remain very interested in the program and would greatly appreciate any updates regarding my application status!  Thank you,

your name

Well... I did it haha. Let's see what happens. Thanks for the advice! :)

1 hour ago, Maybe2021 said:

Anyone here also interviewing with Adelphi tomorrow? I haven't received the detailed schedule, and I'm worried they forgot to email it to me or something. I emailed the graduate studies coordinator who sent me the original invite but haven't heard back. Interview day starts at 10am tomorrow.

I interviewed with Adelphi last week and had the same concerns. I got the interview schedule email tuesday night if that makes you feel any better

3 minutes ago, curiousclinicalpsych said:

I interviewed with Adelphi last week and had the same concerns. I got the interview schedule email tuesday night if that makes you feel any better

Thanks for letting me know! I received mine 5 minutes after I posted here :)  Hope your interview went well!

3 hours ago, PsychProf said:

For folks stressing about whether to reach out post-interview- As a faculty member, I usually appreciate knowing who is still interested and eager to hear from us! Sometimes folks who we waitlisted are actually planning to accept elsewhere and don't necessarily notify us, so I actually think it has the potential to benefit you if you indicate that you are very interested and are hoping to hear positive news. Obviously give them until a little bit past when they said they might notify you, but don't worry about seeming TOO interested in a program. If it's going to be a no it will be a no, but if it's between you and someone who hasn't reached out for the next offer, then knowing that you are definitely interested could help! If there's an admissions coordinator you can ask them, or else your potential PI.

Thank you for sharing this, I really appreciate it! ? For programs that didn't give an estimated notification date, when do you suggest we follow up? (ie: after 2 weeks post interview, after 3 weeks, etc.)?

24 minutes ago, rainbow56 said:

Thank you for sharing this, I really appreciate it! ? For programs that didn't give an estimated notification date, when do you suggest we follow up? (ie: after 2 weeks post interview, after 3 weeks, etc.)?

I would say two weeks after the last interview date is enough time for them to have decided on initial offers. I'm interested to hear what kind of notification timelines folks have been given, though, because some schools may have longer processes or more red tape.

I’m reading this blog I found online where professors are sharing outrageous responses they have received from applicants during the interview and this one is my favorite - why do you want to go to ___? “It is the only school I can drive to” ???‍♀️

2 hours ago, PsychProf said:

I would say two weeks after the last interview date is enough time for them to have decided on initial offers. I'm interested to hear what kind of notification timelines folks have been given, though, because some schools may have longer processes or more red tape.

Was told live that the dept meets in a week then it's out of their hands for final approval, but hopefully not too long thereafter.

15 minutes ago, HopefullyAccepted said:

I’m reading this blog I found online where professors are sharing outrageous responses they have received from applicants during the interview and this one is my favorite - why do you want to go to ___? “It is the only school I can drive to” ???‍♀️

What’s the blog name or link! I could use a funny read right now!

9 hours ago, clinicalpsychphd2021 said:

Does anyone know when Northwestern plans to reach out about their MA program if you asked to be considered? Even though I didn't get an interview for PhD programs I've been accepted to other MA programs and need to start making decisions in about 3 weeks 

If you're talking about Feinberg, I got two emails today about the MA program (one explaining that they're reviewing apps and will send interview invites in march, the other with a link to select mentor preference). Maybe check your spam folder?!

I know that applicants have until April 15 to make official decisions, but when do most applicants typically make a decision by (or will make a decision by this cycle since everything is different this time around)? I also hear ur not supposed to hold on to more than one offer at a time to spots can be released if the applicant isn't interested... I've been waitlisted at my top program so I'm just trying to gauge when I'll know for sure ?

47 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

I know that applicants have until April 15 to make official decisions, but when do most applicants typically make a decision by (or will make a decision by this cycle since everything is different this time around)? I also hear ur not supposed to hold on to more than one offer at a time to spots can be released if the applicant isn't interested... I've been waitlisted at my top program so I'm just trying to gauge when I'll know for sure ?

When I was waitlisted in another field, I found out I got in on April 15th. For a Psychology MA program I found out I got in on like April 19th and didn't hear about funding until a week after that. So that's all to say that you'll need to be patient (I know it's hard) because it might take a while.

Applicants who interview with American University on Monday and Tuesday of this week: does anyone know how quick the turn around is or when we should expect to hear of news?

Additionally, how is it that 7 faculty are considering students -but there are only 3 spots available? I was shocked to hear this and very confused how this is possible. Would love to hear any insight!

1 hour ago, bubbles27 said:

Additionally, how is it that 7 faculty are considering students -but there are only 3 spots available? I was shocked to hear this and very confused how this is possible. Would love to hear any insight!

The way that it will probably work is Professors A, B, and C get first pick. Let's say the student who is offered a spot with Professor A declines, then Professor D gets to extend an offer to their 1st choice.