MPH 2021 Canada

19 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Dw man, it'll all work out! The MA for one year followed by an MPH also sounds like a good plan! Just curious, you didn't want to apply to other schools (ie. UofT) for an MPH? 

Honestly, I'm from downtown Toronto, I've gone to many public lectures within Dalla Lana and it's great, don't get me wrong, but I don't love the environment. I have a few family friends that are professors in the department and they're awesome people and have given me so many opportunities esp with Toronto Public Health, but I much prefer McMaster's environment. This is 100% my opinion based on my own experiences. I've also stayed intentionally away from Dalla Lana in terms of applying because of my personal connections - I don't want to go into detail but I basically would almost certainly not get in because of these connections. 

Just now, GingerDwight said:

Honestly, I'm from downtown Toronto, I've gone to many public lectures within Dalla Lana and it's great, don't get me wrong, but I don't love the environment. I have a few family friends that are professors in the department and they're awesome people and have given me so many opportunities esp with Toronto Public Health, but I much prefer McMaster's environment. This is 100% my opinion based on my own experiences. I've also stayed intentionally away from Dalla Lana in terms of applying because of my personal connections - I don't want to go into detail but I basically would almost certainly not get in because of these connections. 

Yeah I heard mixed reviews about Dalla Lana as well.

Such a good school but some mutual friends aren't in love with their culture.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, SpringinMay said:

Just got accepted in McGill (MScPH). Not sure if I was in the last round, but the letter did say I need to make the decision by April 28.

Hey congrats!! I got accepted too :)

Is McGill your top choice? I'm still debating between some MPHs or the MScPH. Let me know if you choose to accept at McGill!

2 minutes ago, BoxingAndMPH said:

Yeah I heard mixed reviews about Dalla Lana as well.

Such a good school but some mutual friends aren't in love with their culture.

As someone who legit grew up on that campus....can confirm....I live right next to it, one of the greatest universities, and decided to go to Mac instead - I wound't go back and change anything. 

Absolutely no shade to anyone who got in! It's an incredibly amazing program and is super competitive, congratulations!!! I have a specific perspective because the first 18 years of my life were surrounded by UofT lol. 

2 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

As someone who legit grew up on that campus....can confirm....I live right next to it, one of the greatest universities, and decided to go to Mac instead - I wound't go back and change anything. 

Absolutely no shade to anyone who got in! It's an incredibly amazing program and is super competitive, congratulations!!! I have a specific perspective because the first 18 years of my life were surrounded by UofT lol. 

Thank you for your honesty! Do you feel like the employment rate is very high for Dalla Lama?

Edited by BoxingAndMPH

5 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Did you hear back from Mac, Western, or UofT?

I received a rejection from Mac, but accepted at Western and Waterloo. Waiting to hear back from UofT.

Last year when I applied, I received a rejection from UofT in May. But let's see what happens this year!

6 minutes ago, Maha M said:

Just checked the quest portal for Waterloo and was rejected

I am sorry to hear that! Which other schools have you applied to/heard back from?

6 minutes ago, BoxingAndMPH said:

Thank you for your honesty! Do you feel like the employment rate is very high for Dalla Lama?

I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask - most of the Dalla Lana folks I know are professors lol. 

Objectively, it will be easier to find jobs in Toronto because Toronto has all the jobs. However, this means that competition is very high - finding a job in Toronto is HARD. There are also multiple institutions in the city (more students) to compete with. Big city = many jobs = lots of competition. So, it's a double edged sword. MPHs are professional programs and are typically very employable. Right now, because of circumstance, it would be easier to get a job moving to a small community that needs all hands on deck. But, thats just because of the pandemic. Ultimately, you'll be able to find a job with an MPH. It is a very employable degree and it is also a buildable degree. If you decide to, you can go back to school and do more, get some certificates! I don't know the stats of employment for each MPH program but I honestly wouldn't anticipate Dalla Lana to be much higher than other schools. 

1 hour ago, Excel725 said:

what are your stats and experiences? 

3.5cgpa 3.8 last 2 years (first year amirite ><), 2 years working full-time in public health, 3 years as an RA in public health and health policy fields 

23 minutes ago, EmpowerMPH said:

I received a rejection from Mac, but accepted at Western and Waterloo. Waiting to hear back from UofT.

Last year when I applied, I received a rejection from UofT in May. But let's see what happens this year!

Did you apply to the health promotion stream? 

Hi everyone,

I am having a tough time deciding between SFU which is CEPH accredited, in case I ever wanted to work in the states + it is where home is for me, and UofT (health promo) which has a good reputation but I am hoping to get a government or research job afterwards, particularly in BC. Any perspective would be so helpful! 

4 minutes ago, zarattac said:

Congrats to everyone who got in at Waterloo!

Would one of you mind letting me know when your deadline to respond to the offer is? I’m going insane as I haven’t heard back from any school yet ?

Which schools/programs did you apply to?

For those who are planning to attend or know those who have completed an online MPH program such as Brock or Lakehead, what are your thoughts on these programs in comparison to in-person programs. Do you think this impacts your chances of finding a good practicum or work following graduation? I'm considering the programs because it will allow me to continue working while pursuing MPH but at the same time I'm worried about potential credibility and competitiveness when finding work? Greatly appreciate any input on this. 

1 minute ago, SparklersG said:

For those who are planning to attend or know those who have completed an online MPH program such as Brock or Lakehead, what are your thoughts on these programs in comparison to in-person programs. Do you think this impacts your chances of finding a good practicum or work following graduation? I'm considering the programs because it will allow me to continue working while pursuing MPH but at the same time I'm worried about potential credibility and competitiveness when finding work? Greatly appreciate any input on this. 

I already know I have my career in public health set. Im doing this MPH for more managerial opportunities or flexibility in what I can do, perhaps even work in NGOs. I am working on my Public health inspector certification and my CIC certification right now so regardless of  practicum or not, I know I have a spot at HUs or other opportunities. 

6 hours ago, MPH Hopeful 1 said:

Hi everyone,

I am having a tough time deciding between SFU which is CEPH accredited, in case I ever wanted to work in the states + it is where home is for me, and UofT (health promo) which has a good reputation but I am hoping to get a government or research job afterwards, particularly in BC. Any perspective would be so helpful! 

That's a tough decision! Both school's are so great. If I were you, and I knew that I wanted to stay in BC and it's where home is, then I would choose SFU and decline UofT (even though it has an amazing reputation). SFU also has a great reputation and might be more enjoyable if you're friends and family are there :) Then again, it's a great experience to study in a different province!

Well, I'm actually a 2000 baby so I find myself very young lol. Working during an MPH & volunteering builds my profile up so by the time practicum comes, I hope to have more chances. During the online program, I'm hoping to try out different jobs, and volunteer different places to not only gain more experiences but also see where exactly do I find myself to be in public health. Money was also another factor for me. I have loans during my undergrad and will have loans during my graduate studies so therefore working while pursuing will allow me to graduate with debt free. I know some of us don't care about debt after graduating because yes, you will work, and do just fine. I'm a first generation student and also I grew up with barely money as we were immigrants. Doing an online program is much more affordable and less financial stress for me. 

I already come from a public health background so for me to do an MPH online should not be an issue. Also, since the pandemic I have over 1 year of practice of online learning. 

From every alumni student I have talked to from every different school... I can notice one thing. Each school can offer you what they can but it's really up to you to the most and take advantage of everything.

I do understand online schooling makes it hard for connections and etc. But, if I consistently reach out, keep in touch, and make the effort then I think it is possible. I will probably spend more time finding resources and opportunities on my own as I have always done but for sure the program could help me and hope they will.

To me I just thought about where do I find myself fit and where will I be happy.

For example, I got into the 8 months program for Western, and the two years at Waterloo. Going to Western's intense program will not allow me to try out or enjoy the graduate life. 

1 hour ago, SparklersG said:

1 hour ago, minniexo_ said:

Well, I'm actually a 2000 baby so I find myself very young lol. Working during an MPH & volunteering builds my profile up so by the time practicum comes, I hope to have more chances. During the online program, I'm hoping to try out different jobs, and volunteer different places to not only gain more experiences but also see where exactly do I find myself to be in public health. Money was also another factor for me. I have loans during my undergrad and will have loans during my graduate studies so therefore working while pursuing will allow me to graduate with debt free. I know some of us don't care about debt after graduating because yes, you will work, and do just fine. I'm a first generation student and also I grew up with barely money as we were immigrants. Doing an online program is much more affordable and less financial stress for me. 

I already come from a public health background so for me to do an MPH online should not be an issue. Also, since the pandemic I have over 1 year of practice of online learning. 

From every alumni student I have talked to from every different school... I can notice one thing. Each school can offer you what they can but it's really up to you to the most and take advantage of everything.

I do understand online schooling makes it hard for connections and etc. But, if I consistently reach out, keep in touch, and make the effort then I think it is possible. I will probably spend more time finding resources and opportunities on my own as I have always done but for sure the program could help me and hope they will.

To me I just thought about where do I find myself fit and where will I be happy.

For example, I got into the 8 months program for Western, and the two years at Waterloo. Going to Western's intense program will not allow me to try out or enjoy the graduate life. 

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I definitely appreciate the insight. Since I completed my MSc in quite a different area of study I am hopeful the practicums will allow me to explore specific areas of interest in public health, but you are absolutely right that it also depends on our persistent effort to secure work that aligns with our career goals. I will definitely have to do some thinking, as I’m now weighing out Guelph and Brock.

2 hours ago, Viggo said:

That's a tough decision! Both school's are so great. If I were you, and I knew that I wanted to stay in BC and it's where home is, then I would choose SFU and decline UofT (even though it has an amazing reputation). SFU also has a great reputation and might be more enjoyable if you're friends and family are there :) Then again, it's a great experience to study in a different province!

Thank you for the insight! I will take some time to dwell on it :)