2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Hello! 

This is a forum for all of the applicants applying to clinical psychology MA/PhD programs in Canada to begin in Fall 2021 (applications will be due in Fall of 2020)! 

Hope this is useful for many and good luck to all :)!

Edited by freudianslipintogradschool

So glad you started this up!! I am applying this fall to Clinical Psychology programs in Canada and already have my eye on a few laboratories with clinical supervisors at UBC and Western. How are people feeling about doing online versions of the GREs? I did mine last summer but then decided to take a gap year before applying. I am now thinking of rewriting because although I did well overall, my quant score leaves something to be desired (V=94%ile, Q=45%ile, A=92%ile). However, I am not sure how I feel about writing the GRE from home (thanks to covid). Excited to hear about everyone's application journeys this year!! :)

5 hours ago, janelove said:

So glad you started this up!! I am applying this fall to Clinical Psychology programs in Canada and already have my eye on a few laboratories with clinical supervisors at UBC and Western. How are people feeling about doing online versions of the GREs? I did mine last summer but then decided to take a gap year before applying. I am now thinking of rewriting because although I did well overall, my quant score leaves something to be desired (V=94%ile, Q=45%ile, A=92%ile). However, I am not sure how I feel about writing the GRE from home (thanks to covid). Excited to hear about everyone's application journeys this year!! :)

So happy you posted!! I felt as though I am the only one super excited to apply and just can’t wait for app season lol! I have a few supervisors I’m eyeing at York, Ryerson, UTSC, McMaster and Western! 

I wrote the GRE last year and did very average so hoping to write again soon.. your scores are awesome I totally wouldn’t sweat it! Re writing at home.. I hope it takes some of the stress away! But it’ll definitely be different!

Those are definitely great schools :). And thanks! I am just hoping to bump my quant score to at least a 50 lol. I am definitely very excited to apply -especially with not much to do right now with everything locked down. I just finished my BSc honours in psyc and this will be my first time applying .  . . so I am also a little nervous. Hopefully there is some more activity on this thread in the coming months!

7 hours ago, janelove said:

Those are definitely great schools :). And thanks! I am just hoping to bump my quant score to at least a 50 lol. I am definitely very excited to apply -especially with not much to do right now with everything locked down. I just finished my BSc honours in psyc and this will be my first time applying .  . . so I am also a little nervous. Hopefully there is some more activity on this thread in the coming months!

For sure I can understand that! It'll be my first time applying as well, I decided to take a 5th year so I could really focus on research experience so I'll be finishing my degree this coming academic year and hope to begin my MA next fall!!! 

I look forward to everyone's stories!!

second time applying, eyeing UTSC, Queen's, UBC, and maybe Western/Ryerson. Also need to redo my jacked up GRE LOL, not sure how long it'll be online but guess I should get to studying asap.

5 minutes ago, higaisha said:

second time applying, eyeing UTSC, Queen's, UBC, and maybe Western/Ryerson. Also need to redo my jacked up GRE LOL, not sure how long it'll be online but guess I should get to studying asap.

Welcome!! 

Yup.. the GRE is a dread lol...

Agreed! Was kinda hoping schools would be letting prospective students apply without GRE scores with everything that is going on . . . but of course ETS is going online and sustaining the massive profit they make every year lol

2 hours ago, janelove said:

Agreed! Was kinda hoping schools would be letting prospective students apply without GRE scores with everything that is going on . . . but of course ETS is going online and sustaining the massive profit they make every year lol

I was hoping the same! I still have to write the psych GRE which has yet to be announced because the April one got cancelled!

3 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I was hoping the same! I still have to write the psych GRE which has yet to be announced because the April one got cancelled!

I may have to write the psych GRE as well, but I am waiting to come up with my final list of schools before I start worrying about that. Most of the programs I am looking into do not require it. Do you know if the psych one is also being offered online?

7 minutes ago, janelove said:

I may have to write the psych GRE as well, but I am waiting to come up with my final list of schools before I start worrying about that. Most of the programs I am looking into do not require it. Do you know if the psych one is also being offered online?

I'm not sure, I believe they will announce it soon!

Hello guys! Excited to see this thread ? I want to apply this fall to some neuropsych related labs, right now my list includes UBC, Waterloo, Dalhousie and UdeM (if can I boost my French in the coming months, that is!) 

Re: psych subject test: ETS don't have an online version yet but hopefully they'll have one soon! I need to write it as well.

Also when do you guys think is a good time to start contacting potential supervisors? I'm also getting bored under the quarantine, but I don't want to email them too early that the emails fall between the cracks.

Just now, lazyxu said:

Hello guys! Excited to see this thread ? I want to apply this fall to some neuropsych related labs, right now my list includes UBC, Waterloo, Dalhousie and UdeM (if can I boost my French in the coming months, that is!) 

Re: psych subject test: ETS don't have an online version yet but hopefully they'll have one soon! I need to write it as well.

Also when do you guys think is a good time to start contacting potential supervisors? I'm also getting bored under the quarantine, but I don't want to email them too early that the emails fall between the cracks.

Welcome welcome!! So happy to see so many of you!

Yes, I am also bored during quarantine lol but I am thinking around early september :(!!

56 minutes ago, lazyxu said:

I emailed around June, but lots of supervisors don't know if they're taking students that early on (b/c funding, etc). So good practice would be mid-August to sometime in Sept. If you can refrain from emailing the first week of classes (so it won't get buried in the new semester rush), that would be optimal!

Just now, Mickey26 said:

I emailed around June, but lots of supervisors don't know if they're taking students that early on (b/c funding, etc). So good practice would be mid-August to sometime in Sept. If you can refrain from emailing the first week of classes (so it won't get buried in the new semester rush), that would be optimal!

This is great to know!! Thank you :)!!

Has anyone used Kaplan online for the GRE? If so, did you find that their practice test scoring was reflective of the actual test?

I've taken a couple of their tests and seem to be scoring lower than when taking ETS practice. Anyone encountered this?

19 hours ago, lazyxu said:

Lol I feel that - love those schools but my French is abysmal. Re contacting supervisors . . . I also am tempted to jump the gun and email them, but I think I will wait until August for my few top ones and then September for any others (depending on the responses from my first batch of emails)!

Hi everyone! Thanks for making this forum. ?

I am interested in applying to the University of Toronto’s school and clinical child MA program (and then continue on in their PhD program, ideally). I am from the U.S. and don’t know much about the university system in Canada. My partner just accepted a faculty position at UofT, hence the reason for the move lol. 

I know that programs are very competitive. I am very excited about the possibility of doing a combined school/clinical program. 

A little bit about me: I’m currently a research assistant at a Harvard affiliated hospital working on a study examining the etiology of trauma-spectrum disorders. I received my masters in human development and psychology from Harvard’s Graduate School of Education last spring.  Previously, I taught special education through Teach for America. Some areas of potential weakness for me- haven’t taken the psych GRE test, my GRE quant score is in the 55th %tile, and my bachelor’s is not in psychology (it’s in English and multicultural gender studies).

I look forward to this forum being a supportive space, and look forward to learning from you all and getting to know you more!

54 minutes ago, memphismocha said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for making this forum. ?

I am interested in applying to the University of Toronto’s school and clinical child MA program (and then continue on in their PhD program, ideally). I am from the U.S. and don’t know much about the university system in Canada. My partner just accepted a faculty position at UofT, hence the reason for the move lol. 

I know that programs are very competitive. I am very excited about the possibility of doing a combined school/clinical program. 

A little bit about me: I’m currently a research assistant at a Harvard affiliated hospital working on a study examining the etiology of trauma-spectrum disorders. I received my masters in human development and psychology from Harvard’s Graduate School of Education last spring.  Previously, I taught special education through Teach for America. Some areas of potential weakness for me- haven’t taken the psych GRE test, my GRE quant score is in the 55th %tile, and my bachelor’s is not in psychology (it’s in English and multicultural gender studies).

I look forward to this forum being a supportive space, and look forward to learning from you all and getting to know you more!

Welcome!!! Your experience sounds phenomenal, congrats on that! 

I'm sure it'll be a big move to Toronto, but I must vouch for this great city! I hope you love it as much as we do :)!!!

Good luck with apps and I look forward to hearing your journey!

Hi guys! I'm also planning on applying this year -- eyeing UBC, UTSC, Ryerson, York, Waterloo, and Western! Possibly SFU as it is so close to home and Guelph as I like some of the supervisors' areas of study. I've been studying for the GREs for the last couple of months but have no idea what to really expect as it'll be my first try at it. Hopefully the psych. subject test details are released soon (or possibly not required for this intake?)! 

Glad to see others in the same boat!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! It's exciting to see this forum!

I'm starting clinical psych in the fall and while I haven't begun my program yet, I'm always willing to help out by answering questions about the application process. I honestly couldn't have done it without the help of many people from this website and others who had experience with the application process before me. So, please feel free to message me and I will try my best to answer any questions!

Hi everyone :) Excited to have found this thread! 

I am applying this fall for the first time, and I am thinking of applying to both clinical and research masters programs. Currently I am thinking of applying to Ryerson and Concordia and am currently working on expanding that list! 

I am wondering if anyone has any insight on a few questions ...

1. Is anyone also thinking of applying to clinical programs in the United States? I have also been looking at APA accredited programs but I am having such a hard time determining if the education I would get from these programs would allow me to be licensed in Ontario. I have found the list of criteria for CPA equivalent programs, but the criteria are so ambiguous... I am just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue?

2. My goal is to be able to apply for licensure in Ontario, if I apply to programs in Quebec that should be fine as long as the program is CPA accredited (or at least this has been my understanding)?

3. I am currently studying for my GREs (the worst), and I am wondering how much my scores will really matter to my chances of getting into a clinical program? I have a high GPA, a good amount of research experience, 2 conferences, and am working to submit 3 papers for publication by the time applications are due. What scores (or range) do I need to have to be optimistic about my chances of getting in? I have been studying my butt off and really don't want to have to take them again. Also, any suggestions for studying the last month before your test date?

4. Along the same line, although I have research experience and two reference letters to support that, how big of a disadvantage will I be at not having any clinical volunteer experience? I am just deciding this summer that I would rather attend a clinical program over a research one if possible, so I am a little worried about my chances of getting accepted as I have not been gearing my experiences towards this.

5. Anyone have any ideas of what clinical programs are usually the easiest/ hardest to get into? 

6. For funding applications, apparently you can now only indicate 3 schools. Does anyone have a good plan for how to pick which schools to indicate? 

I have so many questions aha! I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance :) 

11 hours ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Hi everyone :) Excited to have found this thread! 

I am applying this fall for the first time, and I am thinking of applying to both clinical and research masters programs. Currently I am thinking of applying to Ryerson and Concordia and am currently working on expanding that list! 

I can't answer all questions but here you go:

2. Ensure its CPA accredited AND you need to make sure you take the required courses for licensing. For example, I'm in a ClinPsych program in Nova Scotia, but ultimately, will seek licensing in Alberta. So I go to the AB Psychologists Assoc, check their licensing requirements, and note down which courses are needed. The program you're doing your training in will ultimately set you up for licensing in that specific province, as such, you need to be proactive and ensure you have the req courses for licensure in a diff province (some course differences).

3. I've heard that your GRE scores might be the first step in the application process. Ie if your GRE scores are too low (Quant score below 50th percentile), your application is automatically in the reject pile. This may not be the case for all institutions, but just aim to get over 50th percentile on the Quant portion to be safe.

4. Most ppl will not have clinical exp b/c they just finished undergrad/took a yr off to work as lab coordinator, etc. Clinical exp is a BONUS, not a necessity. For example, I personally had no clinical exp prior (I do have extensive research exp) whereas two members of my cohort had clinical exp. There's a greater emphasis on research exp than clinical exp, bc clinical exp is what you acquire in ClinPsych grad schools programs :)

5. You can check admissions stats from previous yrs (listed on each institution's site) for number of applicants vs number of offers. It's also about research match, and the pool of applicants applying. To an extent, there is luck involved. But off the top of my head, I know UBC and McGill consistently get lots of applicants (see: reputation of institution).

6. For Tri-Council funding, so CGS-M, yes it was changed to only 3 schools. I was torn between two fields of research (for example, trauma vs autism). So I picked the one I was slightly more interested in (trauma) and indicated the 3 schools that I planned to do trauma work. For me, that included my top school, and a safety school in my CGS-M application.

Hope this helps!