2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

32 minutes ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone knows how strict McGill clinical psych is about GRE scores? I can't seem to find a minimum score listed on their admissions page! 

As a side note, I am wondering if one should re-take take the GRE if their verbal is under the 80th percentile? I haven't taken the test yet but during practice I have done better on quant than verbal. Just don't know if I can study for another month...

Not sure about McGill but regarding your practice scores I was the same and then did way better on V than quant on the test. I honestly found that all of the practice tests I took weren't at all reflective of the test, but that was just my experience.

1 hour ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Not sure about McGill but regarding your practice scores I was the same and then did way better on V than quant on the test. I honestly found that all of the practice tests I took weren't at all reflective of the test, but that was just my experience.

Thanks :) In what way was it not reflective? Did you find the actual test to be easier or harder?

15 minutes ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Thanks :) In what way was it not reflective? Did you find the actual test to be easier or harder?

I found the test to be much easier than Magoosh, Kaplan test prep and the ETS powerprep plus! I scored about the same for Quant, but scored about 5-6 points higher on Verbal

47 minutes ago, psychgirl3 said:

Hey! Where did you see/hear this?

They have posted it on their website! They have said that they are not required, you may still submit them if you want to, but those who don't will not be penalized! I think this was a change literally within the last day or two because I have been checking regularly. 

13 hours ago, psychgirl3 said:

Hey guys! What are your thoughts on submitting GRE scores to schools where it's optional? (i.e., Mcmaster, and a school psychology program at McGill). Do you think you're at a disadvantage if you don't submit scores?

I know someone who was accepted at McMaster for RCT and did not write the GRE, but if your scores are good submit them! 

15 hours ago, psychstudent2020 said:

They have posted it on their website! They have said that they are not required, you may still submit them if you want to, but those who don't will not be penalized! I think this was a change literally within the last day or two because I have been checking regularly. 

This is exciting! Hopefully this trend continues with other schools. It would be a shame to have to write them because one or two schools you apply to require them and the rest don't. 

I made an account to get updates if more schools waive the GRE ?

Also wondering for schools that 'encourage' or 'recommend' you submit GRE scores (but don't require the score), what does that mean? Like if you and another applicant are head-to-head (similar GPA, research experience, etc.) and they submitted a GRE score, then you're out? Or is GRE another initial screening tool that doesn't get looked at beyond that initial screening? Hopefully it's the latter because my cGPA + psych GPA are high enough & I haven't written GRE yet.

Also does GRE score matter on the OGS and CGS-M apps or uni-specific scholarships? 

Edited by broski

On 6/25/2020 at 1:58 AM, broski said:

I made an account to get updates if more schools waive the GRE ?

Also wondering for schools that 'encourage' or 'recommend' you submit GRE scores (but don't require the score), what does that mean? Like if you and another applicant are head-to-head (similar GPA, research experience, etc.) and they submitted a GRE score, then you're out? Or is GRE another initial screening tool that doesn't get looked at beyond that initial screening? Hopefully it's the latter because my cGPA + psych GPA are high enough & I haven't written GRE yet.

Also does GRE score matter on the OGS and CGS-M apps or uni-specific scholarships? 

If it’s optional/encouraged I don’t think it can be used as a screening tool.. rather it might be used if you’re head to head with another candidate. 

also, OGS and CGS-M don’t require GRE scores!

Hey everyone. Just wrote the GRE at home and it did not go as planned. I had a really bad experience with Proctor U. Scores were 156 V and 152 Q.  I am wondering if you guys think I should wait and see if more schools are going to waive the GRE requirement before I schedule a re-test? I am also wondering people's opinions about whether or not scores should be submitted if the school says that they are not required because of the pandemic but they will still accept them? Also has anyone has applied in the past with similar scores to what I got?

Just now, psychstudent2020 said:

Hey everyone. Just wrote the GRE at home and it did not go as planned. I had a really bad experience with Proctor U. Scores were 156 V and 152 Q.  I am wondering if you guys think I should wait and see if more schools are going to waive the GRE requirement before I schedule a re-test? I am also wondering people's opinions about whether or not scores should be submitted if the school says that they are not required because of the pandemic but they will still accept them? Also has anyone has applied in the past with similar scores to what I got?

For a bit more context I am a little stressed about making sure I put out great applications because I was only able to find 5 programs that meet my interests, which I feel lessens my chances to begin with...

I haven't written the GRE at home yet, but I'm in the same boat. I only have approx. 5-6 schools I would be happy being accepted to, so I'm not sure if I should write it anyway.

Can I ask what made the experience with Proctor U so bad?

Hey guys! I'm wondering what your research experience is like, especially given that with the GRE being waived at many schools there is more emphasis on academics + research experience. I have more neuro-heavy research experience, have some undergrad conference presentations, and one publication in an undergraduate journal. How important do you guys think it is that to have worked in clinically-oriented research, and have substantial publications?

5 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Hey guys! I'm wondering what your research experience is like, especially given that with the GRE being waived at many schools there is more emphasis on academics + research experience. I have more neuro-heavy research experience, have some undergrad conference presentations, and one publication in an undergraduate journal. How important do you guys think it is that to have worked in clinically-oriented research, and have substantial publications?

I don’t think having clinical oriented experience is necessary but research experience in general is weighted more heavily. I don’t know how I compare to others (first year applying) but for some context this is my experience. 

ive been in 5 research labs

the first lab: there for 2.5 years (started as volunteer, then got paid for two summers as a paid RA, then was the lab manager) - social psych 

second lab: did two independent research projects and have been lab manager for a year - social psych

third lab: 1.5 years, did my thesis - clinical psych 

fourth lab: one summer - clinical psych

fifth lab: 1 year - started as volunteer RA now lab coordinator - clinical psych 

1 publication (first authored)

2 pubs submitted (one at revise and resubmit), not first authored (second and fourth) 

2 pubs in prep (both first authored)

1 accepted talk (Giving next year - first authored)

12 posters (6 first authored) 

last two years gpa is 8.83/9

CGPA 8.3

8 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

I haven't written the GRE at home yet, but I'm in the same boat. I only have approx. 5-6 schools I would be happy being accepted to, so I'm not sure if I should write it anyway.

Can I ask what made the experience with Proctor U so bad?

The proctor system kept getting disconnected and they had to interrupt be many times during my test! Also they weren't even paying attention after I came back from the break and I waited for like 20 minutes for them to acknowledge that my break was over... I thought they just were not going to come back. 

19 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I don’t think having clinical oriented experience is necessary but research experience in general is weighted more heavily. I don’t know how I compare to others (first year applying) but for some context this is my experience. 

ive been in 5 research labs

the first lab: there for 2.5 years (started as volunteer, then got paid for two summers as a paid RA, then was the lab manager) - social psych 

second lab: did two independent research projects and have been lab manager for a year - social psych

third lab: 1.5 years, did my thesis - clinical psych 

fourth lab: one summer - clinical psych

fifth lab: 1 year - started as volunteer RA now lab coordinator - clinical psych 

1 publication (first authored)

2 pubs submitted (one at revise and resubmit), not first authored (second and fourth) 

2 pubs in prep (both first authored)

1 accepted talk (Giving next year - first authored)

12 posters (6 first authored) 

last two years gpa is 8.83/9

CGPA 8.3

Wow! Your experience is amazing! Do you have volunteer experience in a clinical setting? 

16 hours ago, psychstudent2020 said:

The proctor system kept getting disconnected and they had to interrupt be many times during my test! Also they weren't even paying attention after I came back from the break and I waited for like 20 minutes for them to acknowledge that my break was over... I thought they just were not going to come back. 

That sounds awful...Sorry that happened!

In response to your original post: I would give it a couple weeks and reach out to uni's you are applying to (also, check their admission stats for GRE scores!) If the GRE is not required but still accepted you should re-write it, given that you think you can improve your score. If you can add something extra to boost your application, why not? When it comes down to a decision between you and another student that has a similar GPA, research experience, and PI's interest, I think it helps to have a solid GRE score to sway the admissions team in your direction. 

11 minutes ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Wow! Your experience is amazing! Do you have volunteer experience in a clinical setting? 

Thank you! I don't in a clinical setting but through my labs I've been trained on therapy process behavioural coding, I've conducted suicide risk assessments and have interacted with clinical participants

On 6/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Yeah I agree with this.. I'm just not sure what to do because my quant is mid 50s and the other two are in the 80s.. I have an A+ in stats but don't want my quant score to be a red flag

For Canadian schools, I don't think they place as big of an emphasis on the quant GRE. My quant GRE was in the mid 50s and in the fall 2019 cycle I had 5 interviews, 1 offer & 1 wait-list. I ended up declining the offer & applied again for Fall 2020 with the same quant GRE score and ended up with 5 interviews again, 1 offer, 2 waitlists (UBC being one of them) & for the two other schools that I had interviewed, I had asked to be taken out of consideration prior to them making a decision since I accepted an offer from my top pick. 

In one of the posts here, I think someone had suggested avoiding extremely competitive schools if your GRE scores are low, I would argue that if you have a really good research match with the researcher at the institution, you should definitely apply (assuming you're in a financial situation where you can do so). It also help emailing the researcher in advance indicating your interest & asking them what they typically look for in a student (not all researcher will be comfortable answering this but most of the people I applied to responded very informatively & positively).

If anyone has any questions regarding my experience, feel free to message me :)

On 6/22/2020 at 2:09 PM, sparrow123 said:

York isn't requiring GRE scores for this admission year either. (I'm an incoming student for Fall 2020 and just received an email about it)

I contacted YorkU about what they meant by 'encouraging' but not requiring scores (and if 2 applicants are about equal but one has GRE), and they said that GRE will not factor into admissions this cycle... Still not sure why they said 'encouraged'. I'll be reaching out to a few more schools. If anyone else wants to contact individual schools and clarify their requirements, that would be awesome! 

2 hours ago, broski said:

I contacted YorkU about what they meant by 'encouraging' but not requiring scores (and if 2 applicants are about equal but one has GRE), and they said that GRE will not factor into admissions this cycle... Still not sure why they said 'encouraged'. I'll be reaching out to a few more schools. If anyone else wants to contact individual schools and clarify their requirements, that would be awesome! 

Thanks for doing this! Really Interesting that they explicitly stated it won’t factor in. I still feel that you can’t unsee someone’s GRE scores if they’ve been submitted

Hi everyone.. this is my first post. I just signed up today and I'm so happy to have found this thread :)

I am an international student (not American) looking to apply (finally) to graduate clinical psych / psych programs for the Fall 2021 intake.

I graduated from an American university 3 years ago in Honors Psychology + Spanish Literature.. I took time off (the three years) to return to my home country and to work and save up money to go back to school.

I took the GRE once last December and got V 163 / Q 166 / AWA 5.0 and I am currently studying for the GRE to improve my scores :D hopefully I can raise my verbal score a bit and get a 5.5 on AWA.

I'm really anxious about everything because I don't know anyone around me who is pursuing a degree in this field and I will be the first in my family to pursue graduate studies at all. I just started my school search today and I'm just really nervous about everything!! So relieved to read through the comments and realize that there are others like me with similar questions. I have NO IDEA what I'm doing!!

Sorry for all of the "I, I, I" sentences!! I wish everyone the best of luck ^^