2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

11 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

I can't answer all questions but here you go:

2. Ensure its CPA accredited AND you need to make sure you take the required courses for licensing. For example, I'm in a ClinPsych program in Nova Scotia, but ultimately, will seek licensing in Alberta. So I go to the AB Psychologists Assoc, check their licensing requirements, and note down which courses are needed. The program you're doing your training in will ultimately set you up for licensing in that specific province, as such, you need to be proactive and ensure you have the req courses for licensure in a diff province (some course differences).

3. I've heard that your GRE scores might be the first step in the application process. Ie if your GRE scores are too low (Quant score below 50th percentile), your application is automatically in the reject pile. This may not be the case for all institutions, but just aim to get over 50th percentile on the Quant portion to be safe.

4. Most ppl will not have clinical exp b/c they just finished undergrad/took a yr off to work as lab coordinator, etc. Clinical exp is a BONUS, not a necessity. For example, I personally had no clinical exp prior (I do have extensive research exp) whereas two members of my cohort had clinical exp. There's a greater emphasis on research exp than clinical exp, bc clinical exp is what you acquire in ClinPsych grad schools programs :)

5. You can check admissions stats from previous yrs (listed on each institution's site) for number of applicants vs number of offers. It's also about research match, and the pool of applicants applying. To an extent, there is luck involved. But off the top of my head, I know UBC and McGill consistently get lots of applicants (see: reputation of institution).

6. For Tri-Council funding, so CGS-M, yes it was changed to only 3 schools. I was torn between two fields of research (for example, trauma vs autism). So I picked the one I was slightly more interested in (trauma) and indicated the 3 schools that I planned to do trauma work. For me, that included my top school, and a safety school in my CGS-M application.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much this is all extremely helpful! :) 

Follow up question for everyone, how many schools (minimum) should I think about applying to (with respect to clinical psychology)? 

9 hours ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Thank you so much this is all extremely helpful! :) 

Follow up question for everyone, how many schools (minimum) should I think about applying to (with respect to clinical psychology)? 

Most ppl do 10-12 honestly, where you'll get 2-3 interviews and 1-2 offers. However it does depend on how strong your application is/your fit with supervisors! 

On 5/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I was hoping the same! I still have to write the psych GRE which has yet to be announced because the April one got cancelled!

Still waiting to write the psych gre also, anyone know how much emphasis the gre holds?

21 hours ago, iamstressed said:

Still waiting to write the psych gre also, anyone know how much emphasis the gre holds?

I heard the psych GRE holds much less weight than the general! However I am uncertain what to do considering no dates have been announced!

4 hours ago, higaisha said:

UCLA cancelled their mandatory psych GRE requirement, hoping other canadian schools will follow suit. 

I emailed a couple of the Canadian school departments and they just told me I should reschedule it for the fall on July 1st when the dates come out?

19 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I emailed a couple of the Canadian school departments and they just told me I should reschedule it for the fall on July 1st when the dates come out?

smh that is dumb

14 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Is anyone planning on emailing profs soon? I’ve heard July is a good time??

I would email later given the current situation. Maybe September-October. A lot of things are up in the air with COVID and I’m guessing that many profs don’t have firm plans yet.

Edited by PsycUndergrad

11 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

I would email later given the current situation. Maybe September-October. A lot of things are up in the air with COVID and I’m guessing that many profs don’t have firm plans yet.

Hmm.. I’ve been told that that’s pretty late and profs often have made connections with people at that point!

On 6/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, freudianslipintogradschool said:

Is anyone planning on emailing profs soon? I’ve heard July is a good time??

Last yr, I emailed in May, which is pretty early. I did get positive responses, and some did mention to email again early Sept due to funding.

You can email now, but rmb that given COVID, many individuals might not know about funding. The benefit of emailing early is that at least your name is on their radar, as opposed to the dozens of ppl who email late summer/early fall. It may also demonstrate your enthusiasm/initiative.

Edited by Mickey26

3 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

Last yr, I emailed in May, which is pretty early. I did get positive responses, and some did mention to email again early Sept due to funding.

You can email now, but rmb that given COVID, many individuals might not know about funding. The benefit of emailing early is that at least your name is on their radar, as opposed to the dozens of ppl who email late summer/early fall. It may also demonstrate your enthusiasm/initiative.

This makes sense!! I think I’m going to aim for early-mid July so it gives them a bit more time to potentially know about funding :)

thanks for this!!

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. Longtime creeper but finally ready to buckle down and get my apps together :) I applied (ClinPsych) in the Fall 2018 to three schools and interviewed at Guelph. I was unfortunately waitlisted and decided not to reapply in 2019.The application process was so rough I didn't have it in me to try again.

However now I'm actually excited again to put myself out there and plan for my next steps! I've had some time to build up my CV and find out what I really want to do which was one positive of taking a break. I have a tentative list of ~15 (yes, not a typo) Canadian schools I'll be applying to. I'll post my list when it's finalized/I've spoken to PIs in Aug/Sep. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all about the application process! My partner's eye glaze over when I start talking about the GRE, bless his soul.

One question to start: I'll be retaking the General GRE in August. Has anyone done/scheduled an at-home test? Did you find it easier than doing it at the testing site?

1 hour ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. Longtime creeper but finally ready to buckle down and get my apps together :) I applied (ClinPsych) in the Fall 2018 to three schools and interviewed at Guelph. I was unfortunately waitlisted and decided not to reapply in 2019.The application process was so rough I didn't have it in me to try again.

However now I'm actually excited again to put myself out there and plan for my next steps! I've had some time to build up my CV and find out what I really want to do which was one positive of taking a break. I have a tentative list of ~15 (yes, not a typo) Canadian schools I'll be applying to. I'll post my list when it's finalized/I've spoken to PIs in Aug/Sep. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all about the application process! My partner's eye glaze over when I start talking about the GRE, bless his soul.

One question to start: I'll be retaking the General GRE in August. Has anyone done/scheduled an at-home test? Did you find it easier than doing it at the testing site?

Hi!! I took the GRE at home a few days ago, and found it much easier completing it at home compared to when I completed it in the test centre. I think its especially beneficial for individuals who experience crippling text anxiety like me! I would recommend taking practice tests in the same space you will take your actual test. Best of luck this cycle!

Another GRE question: When it comes to reporting your GRE scores, how do you report scores when you've taken the GRE more than once? For instance for Quant, if I got a 150 the first time I took the test and a 160 the second time, do I report my score as an average (155) or my highest score (160)? Does anyone know what the normal procedure is for doing this on apps? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Another GRE question: When it comes to reporting your GRE scores, how do you report scores when you've taken the GRE more than once? For instance for Quant, if I got a 150 the first time I took the test and a 160 the second time, do I report my score as an average (155) or my highest score (160)? Does anyone know what the normal procedure is for doing this on apps? Thanks!

GRE has a score select option, so you are able to send your best scores. I think that's how it works - someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

GRE has a score select option, so you are able to send your best scores. I think that's how it works - someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

17 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Ahh I see, thanks!

Yes, you're correct. The only thing is you have to send the quant, verbal and writing scores from the same test. You're not allowed to pick and choose (e.g., if your quant score was higher on the first test, but your verbal was higher on the second). 

7 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Welcome!! I totally second what another person said.. taking the GRE at home was WAY better than the test centre.. I did 8 practice tests all in the exact same place as my real test so when it came to test time I just felt like it was practice. Totally recommend!

So I just completed the GRE again today (155 Verbal and 154 Quant). My scores went up by 20 points. However, I got anxious during the verbal section and feel as if I can probably do better. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to do the GRE again to be competitive for clinical psychology programs in Canada. My psychology GRE scores were within the 90th percentile. In addition, I have 5 posters presentations, no pubs, a directed studies and have volunteered at various labs throughout my undergrad. I am most interested in York, Western, UBC-O, SFU,  and UVIC. Do you think I should re-take the exam to be competitive for these schools?

On 6/3/2020 at 4:41 PM, orchid72 said:

Hi everyone! It's exciting to see this forum!

I'm starting clinical psych in the fall and while I haven't begun my program yet, I'm always willing to help out by answering questions about the application process. I honestly couldn't have done it without the help of many people from this website and others who had experience with the application process before me. So, please feel free to message me and I will try my best to answer any questions!

can you comment on how the general gre scores measure up to an overall application profile? My quant score is slightly below the 50th percentile but my other scores are 80+ so I'm a little worried about the quant portion!