2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

1 hour ago, pattycat said:

Anyone here apply to UMich (Helen Zell)? My Applyweb portal has a new option on it to submit an official transcript via Certifile. I'm sure everyone else has this as well, but just wanted to make sure.

I got it too! Hopefully this is a sign we'll hear back soon! ?

52 minutes ago, Gustav2 said:

How much does it cost? How will you pay? Loans? Are low res MFA's ever fully funded? 

9 required courses at a little over $3k each. More info here if you're interested. I'm not sure if they're ever fully funded ?

4 hours ago, chaes said:

Just accepted via email to Johns Hopkins' low-res MA in Writing program for nonfiction!

I went to an open house for them a couple years back, during my first round of applications (back when those things were still in-person). Feel free to reach out if you want my 2 cents based on that!

10 hours ago, WolfMan said:

What sort of factors came into play when winnowing down the final ten down to three? Did it have to do with how well the writing suited the aesthetic of the journal? 

Sometimes it is about fit, but not necessarily aesthetics. For example: If we like a story about birds but published a story about birds last issue, we’ll pass. More often than not, everyone on the staff comes to consensus on the top story or two. What makes them the best varies. Like style, it’s hard to describe but you know it when you see it.

The other stories get chosen via a debate and a lot of it come down to how much work the editors would have to put in to get it ready for our magazine. There have been a lot of amazing stories we’ve turned down because something just wasn’t right and we didn’t have the time/energy/ability to tweak it until it was right. 

8 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

does anyone have funding info on the DePaul MFA? It definitely does not seem to be fully funded but it appears there may be some funding. I know they've had an MA for a while but asking specifically about the new (? I think?) MFA here 

This is what I found on their website: https://las.depaul.edu/academics/english/student-resources/Pages/graduate-assistantships.aspx

To summarize, it seems that all grad students in the English department (including those from the MA programs) compete for 6 GTA positions, which only cover 2 classes and give you an $8k stipend. Since most programs suggest 3 classes per semester, that isn't full funding. Moreover, I'd guess the GTA positions are highly competitive.

As a general observation, any MFA program that doesn't proudly advertise their great funding has poor funding. (Not to sound harsh -- I wish I'd known this my first app cycle.)

Edited by feralgrad

15 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

To summarize, it seems that all grad students in the English department (including those from the MA programs) compete for 6 GTA positions, which only cover 2 classes and give you an $8k stipend. Since most programs suggest 3 classes per semester, that isn't full funding. Moreover, I'd guess the GTA positions are highly competitive.

whew, yeah, not great! thanks. I couldn't find the $ info on their website for some reason

39 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

As a general observation, any MFA program that doesn't proudly advertise their great funding has poor funding. (Not to sound harsh -- I wish I'd known this my first app cycle.)

That's my concern about my alma mater. The University of Washington just mentions that everyone gets some funding but doesn't explain any more than that. It is supposedly a strong program, but one of their faculty just said only a few people are getting fully funded there.

7 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

That's my concern about my alma mater. The University of Washington just mentions that everyone gets some funding but doesn't explain any more than that. It is supposedly a strong program, but one of their faculty just said only a few people are getting fully funded there.

So their website says, "We offer a funding package to all admitted MFA students. The funding package includes a tuition waiver, health insurance, and a monthly stipend for two academic years." Poets & Writers also claims they're fully funded. However, the faculty's word is more valuable than whatever is on the website. My guess is that they've been fully funded in the past, but the pandemic has changed that. I've heard that something similar happened at VCU (though that could just be a rumor).

That said, nothing wrong with throwing your hat into the ring for those few funded positions!

14 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

My advice for this is to look up the general TA/GA funding through the website and then cry when it’s not enough to live on.

Hey everyone! I've mostly been a new lurker here, but I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a fiction writer from DC! After college I realized writing was something I wanted to do more seriously, but to be honest I've had a lot of trouble balancing writing with my career in political writing. I find my work pretty exhausting; I work under very tight and spontaneous deadlines, which makes it hard to plan ahead. I anticipate I probably won't get into an MFA program this cycle (I only applied to several top schools), so I'm trying to make contingency plans re: how I can continue writing even without institutional support. I've noticed most workshops start at 6pm EST, but that's when my workday supposedly ends (and the truth is that it often runs longer, without any previous notice; if I'm given a new assignment at the end of the day it's my responsibility to fulfill it). I honestly feel spread very thin between work, spending time with my loved ones and writing fiction. I'm so exhausted that I think about quitting my job every day, but I feel guilty doing that under such a precarious economy. 

So I wanted to ask about day jobs. Before your MFA, what are you doing to support your writing?

42 minutes ago, lilacbread said:

Hey everyone! I've mostly been a new lurker here, but I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a fiction writer from DC! After college I realized writing was something I wanted to do more seriously, but to be honest I've had a lot of trouble balancing writing with my career in political writing. I find my work pretty exhausting; I work under very tight and spontaneous deadlines, which makes it hard to plan ahead. I anticipate I probably won't get into an MFA program this cycle (I only applied to several top schools), so I'm trying to make contingency plans re: how I can continue writing even without institutional support. I've noticed most workshops start at 6pm EST, but that's when my workday supposedly ends (and the truth is that it often runs longer, without any previous notice; if I'm given a new assignment at the end of the day it's my responsibility to fulfill it). I honestly feel spread very thin between work, spending time with my loved ones and writing fiction. I'm so exhausted that I think about quitting my job every day, but I feel guilty doing that under such a precarious economy. 

So I wanted to ask about day jobs. Before your MFA, what are you doing to support your writing?

Hi there! For me, having a day job that is completely unrelated to writing worked much better than having to do something that is a form of writing (political writing, copywriting etc.) because I think having to output any writing as part of your job will bleed into your personal writing. But, of course, when you're a writer, everything is related to writing! I've done hosting jobs in restaurants, bartending, coat-checking in night clubs, babysitting for kids who go to fancy New York private schools, tutoring, and film production jobs (my background). Honestly I think these "day jobs" have fueled my writing in many ways, though money is always a struggle! But it all depends on what you think you need, or there's never going to be enough money. 

I do realize that so many of these options are not available right now amid the pandemic :(. I hope you find something that are physically and mentally less taxing on you! 

Edited by M-Lin

9 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

I just got a great gig as an English tutor for the daughter of a wealthy family in one of Seoul's nicest neighborhoods. the father is in real estate I think. it's going really well! 

I'm assuming you've seen the movie Parasite? LOL 

1 hour ago, lilacbread said:

Honestly? I wrote at work. I had a very hectic home life that didn't leave me much time to myself, so if I had downtime on the job, I used it. Maybe not useful for your specific situation, though.

1 hour ago, lilacbread said:

I was in the same boat as you! I was a full-time high school English teacher and worked part-time at a gym closer to my apartment. I wrote a piece during my first year of teaching, staying up until 2 or 3 a.m. to draft and research. But after it was published, I was exhausted and knew that kind of schedule wasn't sustainable. Even without making time to write, I felt like I was burning the candle at both ends every day. I ended up using teaching material to brainstorm topics to write about and research, or thinking of different angles to approach that material in my writing. I wrote those ideas in my phone or in a word doc. Sometimes I'd add a few sentences or bullet points. But that's as far as my writing went while I was teaching. 

After a lot of reflection, I felt that my desire to carve out more time for writing stemmed from a deeper desire to create a life that was not only a bit slower and more intentional, but also allowed me to spend time the way I wanted to. For about a year, I felt selfish and guilty for leaving, but the burnout was real, and I felt like I had every right to make my life actually feel like a life. 

I now work as an editor, and I'm happy with my choice. Personally speaking, I don't think it's the job, but rather the lack of work-life balance that can be a hindrance to one's writing. And I don't think the work-life balance is limited to time, but also stress. When your job is so stressful it leaves you emotionally drained on a regular basis, it's hard to want to do anything except decompress, even if you do get off at 5 p.m. 

2 hours ago, M-Lin said:

I've done hosting jobs in restaurants, bartending, coat-checking in night clubs, babysitting for kids who go to fancy New York private schools, tutoring, and film production jobs (my background). Honestly I think these "day jobs" have fueled my writing in many ways, though money is always a struggle! But it all depends on what you think you need, or there's never going to be enough money. 

I do realize that so many of these options are not available right now amid the pandemic :(. I hope you find something that are physically and mentally less taxing on you! 

I really appreciate it! And I understand what you mean. I think I should probably think about how much I need and go from there. Your job history sounds so eclectic—I agree that every experience colors the writing you do.

1 hour ago, feralgrad said:

Honestly? I wrote at work. I had a very hectic home life that didn't leave me much time to myself, so if I had downtime on the job, I used it. Maybe not useful for your specific situation, though.

Ahh I wish I could do that! I would love to find a situation that allows for that. What do you do?

34 minutes ago, chaes said:

After a lot of reflection, I felt that my desire to carve out more time for writing stemmed from a deeper desire to create a life that was not only a bit slower and more intentional, but also allowed me to spend time the way I wanted to. For about a year, I felt selfish and guilty for leaving, but the burnout was real, and I felt like I had every right to make my life actually feel like a life. 

I now work as an editor, and I'm happy with my choice. Personally speaking, I don't think it's the job, but rather the lack of work-life balance that can be a hindrance to one's writing. And I don't think the work-life balance is limited to time, but also stress. When your job is so stressful it leaves you emotionally drained on a regular basis, it's hard to want to do anything except decompress, even if you do get off at 5 p.m. 

Woah, your previous writing schedule sounds intense. I definitely understand your feelings; it's really hard to step away from a situation that requires so much involvement. What you said about stress is so true! I often feel guilty because my work is usually only ~45-50 hours at most, but it's a real energy-zapper. I'm glad you were able to find a balance that works for you :)  I'll keep what you said in mind as I figure out my next steps.

I noticed you're from Maryland; are there any local workshops here that you've taken?