2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

23 minutes ago, Norwood said:

Also just got my Cornell rejection letter. That makes me 5 for 5 and pretty much finished here, since my last two applications are Iowa and Texas (NWP). Out of curiosity, does anyone know if NWP and Michener send out decisions at about the same time? Also, I know some people have gotten acceptances from Iowa, but are there any rejections (specifically for fiction) out yet? 

I imagine the both Texas programs will announce around the same time, but probably not on the same day. Iowa has not released rejections. From what I've heard (nothing concrete) they take a while to make acceptances calls before sending physical mail to notify waitlists and then they send out rejections.

I also just got rejected from Cornell. I am not surprised, as when I wrote the statement of purpose, I had a hard time figuring out why I wanted to go to that school specifically. 

The only MFA programs I applied to are Cornell, Brown, and Iowa, so I would be pretty surprised if I got any acceptance, haha! Seems like getting a fully funded MFA is a distant fantasy. 

12 minutes ago, rcsteel said:

I imagine the both Texas programs will announce around the same time, but probably not on the same day. Iowa has not released rejections. From what I've heard (nothing concrete) they take a while to make acceptances calls before sending physical mail to notify waitlists and then they send out rejections.

FWIW, Iowa website says "decisions are made in March or early April."

@fishfish24 I'm also about to reach jungle status--starting some seeds for my Spring garden this week! Also might start seeds for my summer garden but I have no idea if I'm getting off these waitlists. If I don't get in this year you better believe I'm going ALL OUT on my garden lmao. I had fungus gnats one year and the best thing you can do to prevent is to mix boiling water with your seed starting/potting soil mix to kill any eggs. I also second the neem oil suggestion ❤️ 

Really sorry for those that are hurting today. I've reached a weird place where I'm finally accepting that I have no control over this outcome beyond the work I've put into my applications. Knowing and accepting are two different things apparently, haha. It hurts to be told "no" when you're hoping for a "yes." No one is disputing that the odds are terrible, that many of us might not be ready for an MFA yet (tho that's certainly not a random internet stranger's place to discern, myself included). But that also doesn't change the fact that if you want this badly enough, you will keep writing. You may apply again, or you may choose to form your own writing community. Maybe you realize a business built on competition and rejection is not something that makes you happy and you go a different direction--none of this is bad. I actually know two people who dropped out of MFA programs because it was making them miserable.  Both of them still write and publish. I'm not saying it's going to work out for all of us, I'm just saying that there are many paths to happiness and I feel sorry for those who become bitter and contrarian in an effort to disguise their low self esteem. Let's all take a breather and remind ourselves why we started reading & writing poetry/prose/essays to begin with. Is it to feed your ego and sense of "greatness" or is it because it nourishes you somehow? What has this process taught you, for better or for worse? Personally it's taught me that I might have ADHD lol. It's also taught me that what I really want is to be a part of something greater than myself in terms of a solid writing community. It would be great if that happened in the form of an MFA, but maybe it means being more proactive in my current community or moving to a different city in search of more opportunities. Anyway, this is a long ramble-y way of saying that I have really appreciated everyone who has participated in this thread.  

Edited by teasel

22 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

I think sometimes people think it’s funny to put false results there, but it’s something to watch anyway. 

I actually just saw a legitimate IWW response on the draft page from a legitimate poet. 

13 minutes ago, teasel said:

@fishfish24 I'm also about to reach jungle status--starting some seeds for my Spring garden this week! Also might start seeds for my summer garden but I have no idea if I'm getting off these waitlists. If I don't get in this year you better believe I'm going ALL OUT on my garden this year lmao. I had fungus gnats one year and the best thing you can do to prevent is to mix boiling water with your seed starting/potting soil mix to kill any eggs. I also second the neem oil suggestion ❤️ 

Really sorry for those that are hurting today. I've reached a weird place where I'm finally accepting that I have no control over this outcome beyond the work I've put into my applications. Knowing and accepting are two different things apparently, haha. It hurts to be told "no" when you're hoping for a "yes." No one is disputing that the odds are terrible, that many of us might not be ready for an MFA yet (tho that's certainly not a random internet stranger's place to discern, myself included). But that also doesn't change the fact that if you want this badly enough, you will keep writing. You may apply again, or you may choose to form your own writing community. Maybe you realize a business built on competition and rejection is not something that makes you happy and you go a different direction--none of this is bad. I actually know two people who dropped out of MFA programs because it was making them miserable.  Both of them still write and publish. I'm not saying it's going to work out for all of us, I'm just saying that there are many paths to happiness and I feel sorry for those who become bitter and contrarian in an effort to disguise their low self esteem. Let's all take a breather and remind ourselves why we started reading & writing poetry/prose/essays to begin with. Is it to feed your ego and sense of "greatness" or is it because it nourishes you somehow? What has this process taught you, for better or for worse? Personally it's taught me that I might have ADHD lol. It's also taught me that what I really want is to be a part of something greater than myself in terms of a solid writing community. It would be great if that happened in the form of an MFA, but maybe it means being more proactive in my current community or moving to a different city in search of more opportunities. Anyway, this is a long ramble-y way of saying that I have really appreciated everyone who has participated in this thread.  

Right on, sister. Rejection stings, but does anyone else find it is immediately followed by a bizarre, giddy euphoria -- the kind that makes you feel free? And dare I say, a little relieved? Getting into an MFA program was never the goal. The goal is to write what only we can write. And maybe create the occasional garden paradise. (Boiling water on seed-starting soil is a fresh tip; thanks!)

On 2/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, mrvisser said:

For Notre Dame folks: seems both acceptances and rejections went out today for poetry (which, it's nice that they did them at the same time so people weren't left waiting), but nothing has gone out for fiction in either direction that I've seen.

I was literally just going to ask this!! OMG, here's hoping for all of us. ❤️ Anything from Michener yet on your end? I know that's one you're pulling for. I believe in you regardless!

7 hours ago, pattycat said:

For those of us who are staring down a possible clean sweep of rejections this year and want to prepare for next season, would any fiction kids be willing to form a critique group? Thoughts are that it would either be over zoom (traditional workshop-style) or maybe just laid back exchange of google docs over email.

I'd be down for sure. I have a local group (which is really fun), but everyone there is interested in hobby writing, not an MFA. It would be really nice to see what other people are considering for writing samples and SOPs specifically. I've already learned a lot after finding this thread.

Even though I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 schools, I've pretty much emotionally moved on for this round. I'm totally rethinking my samples and actually feeling motivated to redo everything now that I have a better sense of what I'm aiming for. 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:29 PM, anna23 said:

My first MFA decision is out and....... it’s a rejection ? while I’m obviously sad, I think remaining optimistic is important. anyways good luck to other applicants!

Awww, I'm so sorry. ❤️❤️❤️ Are you doing okay? Were you fiction or poetry?

Hugs to you--how many more schools do you have to hear back from? Still rooting for you! :)

30 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

For Notre Dame folks: seems both acceptances and rejections went out today for poetry (which, it's nice that they did them at the same time so people weren't left waiting), but nothing has gone out for fiction in either direction that I've seen.

I haven't gotten anything yet and my portal isn't updated. Just reject me already guys! I wasn't even going to apply to ND and then I had a dream I got in so I applied. Now I'm starting to think I don't have prophetic visions or something.

15 minutes ago, catastroph said:

I'd be down for sure. I have a local group (which is really fun), but everyone there is interested in hobby writing, not an MFA. It would be really nice to see what other people are considering for writing samples and SOPs specifically. I've already learned a lot after finding this thread.

Even though I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 schools, I've pretty much emotionally moved on for this round. I'm totally rethinking my samples and actually feeling motivated to redo everything now that I have a better sense of what I'm aiming for. 

I still have eleven schools to hear from but I’m kind of in the same boat. I actually got a reassuring note from a lit mag I submitted one of my application stories to (they liked it and wanted to see more of my work), but the levels of imposter syndrome are pretty high for me right now. Would def be down for something like this - the more eyes on these things the better!

hello! i've been stalking this forum for the past week or so and finally felt the need to say something. i'm anxiously awaiting notre dame results (people are saying poetry acceptances/rejects have gone out, but i have yet to hear anything). i'm an undergrad across the street, so this is especially nerve-wracking!

Edited by ohriley

17 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Also a ?ell casualty. 2 down 9 to go. 

Hugs. ❤️

37 minutes ago, ohriley said:

hello! i've been stalking this forum for the past week or so and finally felt the need to say something. i'm anxiously awaiting notre dame results (people are saying poetry acceptances/rejects have gone out, but i have yet to hear anything). i'm an undergrad across the street, so this is especially nerve-wracking!

I hope you hear soon. Perhaps you can go bang on their door and serenade them? Some people find that romantic?...?

In other words: Face Melt Hurt GIF - FaceMelt Melt Hurt GIFs

On 2/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, eternalwhitenights said:

Awww, I'm so sorry. ❤️❤️❤️ Are you doing okay? Were you fiction or poetry?

Hugs to you--how many more schools do you have to hear back from? Still rooting for you! :)

I applied for the poetry track! I’m doing alright, I applied to 10 schools total but only 4 of those were for MFA programs, the rest were journalism programs. I kind of applied as a spur of the moment thing but was really hoping I might have a chance. I guess we’ll see how the rest plays out! Hoping you hear back positive news!!! :)

On 2/26/2021 at 7:04 PM, anna23 said:

I applied for the poetry track! I’m doing alright, I applied to 10 schools total but only 4 of those were for MFA programs, the rest were journalism programs. I kind of applied as a spur of the moment thing but was really hoping I might have a chance. I guess we’ll see how the rest plays out! Hoping you hear back positive news!!! :)

Where'd you apply for journalism? I did my undergrad in journalism and worked in the industry for a few years before shifting gears and trying this MFA thing.